PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Charlotte van Veenendaal on her athlete/coach relationship

Charlotte van Veenendaal on her athlete/coach relationship

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
Fascinating insight into the athlete/coach relationship between Charlotte van Veenendall & Gerard Keating.

http://charlottevanveenendaal.com/

Trusting, moving forward and Mums in town

Posted on Monday, 11 July, 2011
by Charlotte van Veenendaal

This week has been one of learning, trusting and moving forward. As I have mentioned in previous posts Gerrard and I have only been working together for just over a year now and we are still finding out how each of us works.

Gerrard’s methods of coaching are vastly different to what I have been used to and this has probably been the biggest challenge of moving up here. Gerrard works from his head, nothing ever written down and recorded and no program ever set in stone and at the last minute the training time, venue and session can change.

Now, don’t get the wrong idea here, he knows exactly what he is doing but it has taken me a while to realise this. If you were to ask me about what times I have run in training or what session I would have Tuesday next week I would struggle to give you an answer.

For me, being the control freak that I am, this was HELL at first, I would turn up to training after having long talks to Gerrard about “what I used to do and what used to work” only to find that Gerrard had changed his mind and today we were doing something completely different to what was discussed. After a lengthy argument, I would end up doing the program he had developed.

For at least the first 6 months of me moving up I am fairly sure Gerrard was wondering what he had got himself into and questioning whether he was up for it. So, when I say learning I mean learning to love change, learning to manage anxiety and learning that there are some things in life that are uncontrollable and being able to accept that and move on. This is not something that will happen over night or in the next week, month or even year, I am sure this is a process that will take time. Below are some pictures of one of my favourite training spots.

Like in any new relationship there needs to be an element of trust. Trust in yourself and the process, trust in your coach and their ability, and trust in the partnership that you have formed. It’s not easy to put your career and your life in the hands of another individual and believe whole heartedly that they can get you to where you want to be.

Honestly, trust has been something that has definitely not come easily for me. Without trust it is very difficult for any relationship to function at its best and over the past year I have really begun to realise the enormous role that trust plays between coach and athlete.

If I have any doubts in the program or in Gerrard then it is hard to put everything into every session and as a result the outcome is far from what is expected, not because what has been set is wrong but because I had determined the outcome before we had even begun. On the other hand if I trust and believe in what I am doing then there is no holding back and we are able to see the elements that work and what really doesn’t and are able to move forward.

Over the past few months I have really begun to let go of or redirect any doubts I may have about this new partnership and TRUST Gerrard and his methods. I do still question some sessions but this is not because I don’t believe in them but mostly because I want to understand the reasons behind them, communication really helps in the development of trust. I really do now believe that there is method in his MADNESS!!!!

Read the rest of Charlotte's commentary on her website: http://charlottevanveenendaal.com/

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum