PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ararat Results
Yesterday at 9:57 am by SANCHEZ

» Ararat Gift
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:56 pm by timrosen35

» Multiple NAPS lead to anything?
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 am by DDog

» Pro running right on track
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am by youngy

» Brighton Open Gift
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 am by safrican

» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 am by Admin

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 am by Admin

» Northcote Women’s winners handicap
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm by FortySevenThirty

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Greg Turnbull wins Hawick Border Games 110m

Greg Turnbull wins Hawick Border Games 110m

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Greg Turnbull wins Hawick Border Games 110m on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:32 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Athletics-Photofinish-in-the-Borders.6784191.jp

Athletics: Photo-finish in the Borders as Turnbull finally enjoys a grand victory

By SANDY SUTHERLAND
Edinburgh Evening News
13 June 2011

Greg TURNBULL (Edinburgh AC), a past runner-up in the New Year Sprint, at last captured a major handicap sprint when he won the Hawick Border Games 110 metres and a first prize of £1000 at Volunteer Park, Hawick, yesterday.

Even then it was touch-and-go for the 21-year-old student, with three runners going over the line together: Turnbull, would-be Turkish internationalist Iskan Barskanmay and Jedburgh rookie Angus Stanners, and the judges took some time to come to a decision.

The 2011 New Year Sprint winner Martyn Paterson (Central) won both the 200 metres and 400m.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Athletics-Smith-heads-for-Hawick.6782847.jp

Athletics: Smith heads for Hawick

By Sandy Sutherland
Edinburgh Evening News
10 June 2011

Stewart's MELVILLE FP and Scottish 100 metres champion Nick Smith, who has returned home to Dunfermline after a traumatic trip to New Zealand, will be the back-marker off scratch in the Hawick Border Games handicap 110 metres at Volunteer Park on Sunday.

Smith, who went to attend his sister's wedding in Christchurch and ended up getting caught in the earthquake which destroyed her house, faces an interesting challenge from the 2011 New Year Sprint winner Martin Paterson (Central).

Smith, himself a former New Year winner, will give away 5.5 metres start to the young Stirling University student who has been concentrating on running 400m and 800m races recently.

Also in the field will be the 2010 winner Seb Harrison (Jedburgh) with a start of 6.5m.

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.bordersathletics.co.uk/information/results/hawickresults.html

HAWICK REPORT 2011.

THE nearly man of Border Athletics finally found reason to celebrate at Hawick on Sunday. Jedburgh’s Greg Turnbull (4.5 metres) is a regular in finals across the local circuit as well as on the national stage. But finding the winning formula in showcase sprints is something that has evaded him for several years.

Despite the many near misses over the seasons, the 21-year-old, running for the TLJT club, was confident he’d won the £1000 sprint at Volunteer Park after flashing across the finishing line with fellow Jed runner Iskan Barkskanmay (5.5) and Tweedbank teenager Angus Stanners (8.0).

It took the photo-finish judges a good five minutes of deliberation before the official result was announced – but Turnbull, who is coached by Charlie Afleck, was confident of first place.

He told us: “I’ve been in a lot of finals and finished second and third many times. I was more confident that I’d won the final than I was in the semi-final which was also really close. “When you’re involved in a lot of photo-finishes you get a feeling when you’ve won, and I had that feeling.” Barkskanmay was placed second with Stanners in third.

New Year Sprint winner Martyn Paterson travelled from Clackmanan to have a crack at the main sprint. But after going down in his heat the teenager followed up by winning both the 200 metres and 400 metres.

The 18-year-old, running from 7 metres, burst through the 400 field to take up the running in the home straight for victory. Pitreavie’s Ewan Dyer (15) was second with Wallace McGown (30) of Sauchie in third.

Paterson said: “I had to go out really hard to catch Ewan (Dyer). It was tough but I’m happy with how I ran.” Just an hour later, the Eric Simpson coached athlete, came from the back to win the 200 metres final. Running from 7 metres, Paterson broke the tape ahead of TLJT’s David Edwards (19) and Graham Armstrong (29) from Edinburgh.

Martyn added: “I wasn’t all that tired after the 400 so I felt good. I was hoping to do better in the sprint but winning the 200 and 400 makes up for it.”

Dunfermline’s Graham Gibson (32.5) produced a strong run to win the 800 metres. The 21-year-old burst to the front on the home straight for victory. He said: “My granddad used to always come down to Hawick to watch the running – he often talked about Hawick – so it’s great to come here and win.” Jed’s Andrew Thomson (65) finished second with TLJT’s Adam Craig (40) in third.

Kelso’s Chris Black (150) followed up wins at Blackford and Markinch to land the 3200 metres race. The 23-year-old stormed through the field to open up a 100 metre lead, which he held to the line. Chris said: “I put in a hard first five laps. I didn’t want to hang about – I just got out there and went for it. “My training and nutrition is spot on this year – I’m really pleased with how I’m running.” Colin Welsh (60) came late to collect second with Coaltown’s John Thomson (180) holding on for third.

Hawick teenager Ryan Elliot (4.5) gave the home crowd plenty to cheer by winning the Youths 90 metres. The 14-year-old, who is coached by Billy Edgar, broke the tape just ahead of TLJT duo John Feeney (22) and Ellie Temple (20.5). Ryan said: “I wasn’t sure I’d won as it was really close.”

The Junior 90 metres was won by TLJT newcomer Josh Dougal (11) – despite him stumbling half-way up the track. The 9-year-old said: “I lost my feet a bit but managed to keep running to the end. It’s really good to have won.” Innerleithen’s Eve Huxley (6.5) was second with Henry Clarkson (3) of TLJT in third.

Clarkson made amends in the Junior 200 metres. The 11-year-old, running from 6 metres, broke the tape just ahead of Daniel Eliot (11) and Grant Goodfellow (17) of Earlston. Clarkson said: “Grant beat me last week in the final so it was good to beat him this week.”

Jed’s Rory Marshall (20) was the convincing winner of the Youths 200 metres. The 14-year-old, who is coached by Chico Woods, caught training partner Jasmin Tomlinson (41) with 20 metres to spare. Hawick’s Lewis Elliot (44) was third. Rory said: “I had to run really hard round the bend and wasn’t sure I’d get Jasmin.”

Darcy Graham (60) produced a powerful run to win the Youths 400 metres. The 13-year-old from Hawick tore up the home straight to break the tape ahead of Kelso’s Euan Pettigrew (20) and Jack Wilson (40) of Hawick. Darcy, who is part of the Billy Edgar school, told us: “It was great when I got to the front but I was still expecting someone to catch me.”

TLJT’s Kyle Potts (80) produced a strong finish to take the Youths 800 metres. The 15-year-old caught long-time leader Josh Abbot (185) on the home straight with Fraser Wardhaugh (55) of Gala Harriers finishing strongly for third. Kyle said: “I had to really go for it on the last lap. I didn’t think I was going to get the boy, but thankfully I did.”

The Under 17s 100 metre championship race was won by East Kilbride flyer Ross Maxwell. The 15-year-old crossed the line a metre ahead of Ryan Elliot and Scott Richardson.

Admin

Admin
Admin

HAWICK RESULTS 12th JUNE 2011

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum