PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » ANSW Interview with 17yo Jarrod Geddes (10.67 PB)

ANSW Interview with 17yo Jarrod Geddes (10.67 PB)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.nswathletics.org.au/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=NewsItem&NewsID=19394

WORLD YOUTH ATHLETE INTERVIEW: Jarrod Geddes

Athletics NSW Website
Jun 10, 2011

Sprinter, Jarrod Geddes (Illawong) has run well when required – the sign or a big-time performed and well prepared athlete.

ANSW: How did you involved in track and field? In what events have you competed? What have been your achievements?

Jarrod Geddes: I became involved in athletics mainly through my mum’s influence and my success at school athletics carnivals. I started in Little Athletics when I was 10. At that time I was also playing AFL at state level. I finished playing AFL in 2009 and since then I have been just doing athletics. I have only seriously competed in the sprints (100m, 200m). I have competed in long jump coming second in the 2006 primary schools nationals and when I was younger I did a bit of triple jump. I won the 100m at the Australian Youth Championships in March this year. In 2010 I placed 1st in the 200m and second in the 100m. In 2009, my first serious year in athletics, I was 2nd in both the 100m and 200m.

ANSW: Your mum was a fine long jumper and your dad competes in masters athletics. What influence have they had on your athletics?

Jarrod Geddes: Both my mother and father play a massive role in my athletics. My mum (still an athlete) helps me with my choices and also helps me gain knowledge and experience from her days as an athlete. My mother is also a massive help when it comes to training, giving me massages and stretching me for competitions and helping my recovery in between competitions. My father, who only joined an athletics club three years ago, takes me to training and to competitions where he is often competing at the same time. He is a great support with advice and encouragement. Both my mum and dad are also my main financial support when it comes to athletics, paying for trips, camps, interstate comps, clothes and petrol for which I’m really grateful .

ANSW: What clubs have you run for? What other sports have you done?

Jarrod Geddes: I have run for Sutherland Little Athletics Club all the way from the U10 to the U13. In the U14 both my sister and I moved to Port Hacking Little Athletics Club. I played AFL for Miranda Bombers from under 9s to 15s. When I was 16 I played for the Sydney Uni U18 team. When I moved into senior athletics I joined the Illawong club which has given me much support and opportunities for which I am very grateful.

ANSW: Where were you born and raised?

Jarrod Geddes: I was born in St George Hospital and raised in the Sutherland Shire. We then moved to the Central Coast until I started school when we moved back to the shire.

ANSW: Congratulations on your tremendous 2010/11 season where despite a niggling injury was still superb. You ran well when you needed to and sprung a surprise to easily win the Australian under-18 100m championship.

Jarrod Geddes: Thank you. Despite the injuries and the time off I think it was a good season and winning the 18 100m capped it off. Throughout the season I had this belief that I had the ability to win that race and lucky for me I did.

ANSW: Courtesy of your win in the trials, you were automatically selected for the World Youth Championships. What was the feeling like to achieve what had been your goal.

Jarrod Geddes: After the race it was an amazing feeling. Ever since I found out I was in the correct age group for World Youths both Jake Stein and I talked about how good it would be to qualify and go together as mates. So after the race it was almost like a dream come true. It goes to show that if you really are committed to a goal nothing will stop you achieving it.

ANSW: You ran a personal best in the very first departure trial. Did you expect that?

Jarrod Geddes: During my break after the Australian trials I trained really well, and I think credit should go to my coach Michael Dooley who has helped with my preparation. I had trained quite badly the week leading up to the pre departure race, but I was confident that with the right conditions and competition I had done enough work to run a PB. After the race my coach and I looked at the video and noticed how much more room for improvement there is which is really positive for the following weeks.

ANSW: What is the plan in the next few weeks?

Jarrod Geddes: Well I’m now going to have a really good week with training. Maybe than have an easier week leading up to the completion in Townsville where I hope to run much faster.

ANSW: Your progression has closely followed that of an older squad member Jake Hammond (2010 WJ semi-finalist). He is a good comparison for you and maybe there is a little rivalry as you break his records?

Jarrod Geddes: It’s funny you should ask this question because before my race this week, my coach was giving me the times of Jake when he was 17 which was 10.63. There is a rivalry in our training group to be the fastest but also we are very happy and proud of one another. I am very lucky to have Jake to train with because he gives advice on international competitions and how to handle things, and because he has already gone through it, it also helps me with my running. In our training group we have three athletes under 10.8 which also helps to make you run faster.

ANSW: What are the goals for the World Youth Championships?

Jarrod Geddes: My goals for World Youths would have to be making the final for the 100m. That would be the ultimate goal. I will go home happy if I make the semis and run a PB but both my coach and I are striving for the top 8.

ANSW: What are your longer term goals?

Jarrod Geddes: I would like to be selected in the World Juniors team in 2012. But after that I haven’t really thought too much. I would really like to make an Australian senior team either World Champs, Olympic Games or Commonwealth Games.

ANSW: What are your hobbies and interests away from the track?

Jarrod Geddes: I’m pretty much a normal teenager outside the track. I enjoy hanging out with my mates, going to the beach, listening to music, Facebooking etc

Jarrod Geddes - Statistics

DOB: 24/2/1994

Club: Illawong

Coach: Michael Dooley

100 m
Fastest times
10.67(-0.3)
10.67(1.3)
10.75 (1.3)

Windy
10.45w

Annual Progression