PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Mullewa Gift (WA) - 28th August 2010

Mullewa Gift (WA) - 28th August 2010

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Mullewa Gift (WA) - 28th August 2010 on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:37 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
https://www.clubsonline.com.au/meets/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_full&MeetID=544&OrgID=199&dts=20820104157

Mullewa Gift 2010

Date: 28 Aug 2010

Telephone: (08) 9287 1200

Email: info@waathletics.org.au

Summary:
Athletics WA are pleased to announce a new series of pro runs conducted throughout WA, with the opporutnity for athletes of all abilities to win significant prize money at each event.

Pro running is designed to ensure that every athlete has a chance to win some prize money. This means that athletes are allocated a handicap according to their ability. The fastest runner is placed on a backmark and gives a start to slower runners.

The first gift of the season is to be held at Mullewa, a town 450km north of Perth. This gift has its origins in the 1890's and is a great opportunity for first time runners to compete in front of a lively crowd at the Mullewa Show.

Events & Prize Money on offer:
70m - $600
120m Open - $2000
550m - $1000
120m Novice - $400

Entry Fees

70m - $8
120m Open - $15
550m - $8
120m Novice - $5

Athletes must be over the age of 12 to compete.

2 Re: Mullewa Gift (WA) - 28th August 2010 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:46 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
http://geraldton.thewest.com.au/regionals.aspx?MenuID=268&ContentID=0

Gift draws glory
By Tom Davis
Geraldton Guardian
27th August 2010

Mullewa will be the focus of West Australian athletics tomorrow for the $4000 Mullewa Gift.

A high-class field of nationaly-renowned athletes have nominated for the 120m feature race to be held at the town’s recreation ground.

Alex Glorie returns to defend his 2009 120m and 550m titles.

Glorie won the feature in a scintillating 12.83 seconds and placed fourth over 550m at the Australia Post Stawell Gift last year.

Athletics Western Australia’s Alex Malcolm said 13-year-old exciting talent Poppy Schwass had also put her name in the hat for another tilt.

Malcolm said Schwass made waves on the national athletics circuit when she placed sixth in the national 100m hurdles open final in April.

“Poppy is a star, her times continue to plummet,” Malcolm said.

“She displayed awesome performances last summer and also won the Wanneroo Gift in November.”

Schwass was fifth Australian in the national 100m open hurdles final behind NSW athlete Hayley Butler, who will compete at the Delhi Commonwealth Games in October.

National bronze 200m medalist Alysee Hogan and former national 400m (hurdles) silver medalist Dane Richter are the other high profile names in the field.

Richter last won the Gift back in 2005 and was ranked in the top ten of national 400m runners last season.

Held in conjunction with the Mullewa Agricultural Show, the Gift is one of the highlights of the Pro running calendar, a calendar of handicap races.

Three other races also feature over 70m, a 120m novice and a 550m races.

Since being revived back in 1986, the Mullewa Gift has attracted many high-profile athletes including Australian representative Nick Ward and Dean Capobianco.

Race heats begin from noon. The official opening of the feature race is to be held at 3.30pm before the Gift final at 4pm.

3 Re: Mullewa Gift (WA) - 28th August 2010 on Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:34 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
http://geraldton.thewest.com.au/regionals.aspx?MenuID=268&ContentID=35490

Student sprinter in a class of his own
By Tom Davis
Geraldton Guardian
30th August 2010,

Perth student Dylan Panniza produced a dominating display to win the 2010 Mullewa Gift at Mullewa Oval on Saturday.

Panniza burst off the blocks from a 12.25m handicap to blitz a strong field of runners in a scintillating 11.98 seconds.

He worked through the gears in the final 30m of the 120m race to rocket home ahead of the fast finishing Brittany Pettit and Glen Ross.

It capped off a fruitful Mullewa debut for the 20-year-old son of Claremont football legend Darryl Panniza.

Earlier in the day Panniza was first past the post in the 70m sprint, which he won in seven seconds flat.

The University of Western Australia student was pleased with his performance ahead of this summer’s University Games.

He even floated a possible tilt at next year’s Stawell Gift.

“I was glad I got a pretty good start,” Panniza said.

“That allowed me to hold it through to the end.

“Once I get up and going, my turnover’s pretty good, which is where I get most of my speed from.”

Panniza said he was enjoying a year away from football after making a switch to athletics.

A strong-finishing Samantha Plato took out Mullewa’s 120m novice final.

Plato, who was on a 25.5m handicap, won in 12.68 seconds.

She did well to hold off Aldis Jaunzems, who charged from the middle of the pack to finish second with Matthew Seamen a close third.

WA hurdles champion Dane Richter also made his mark in his return to Mullewa.

The 2005 gift winner, starting off a 21m handicap, charged down a gutsy Marie Decker in the 550m final to win in 1 minute 16 seconds.

Ben Clark took second with Decker third.

Richter, who missed out last year due to injury, said lessons learned during his days as a high jumper helped him gain momentum on the tight bends.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum