PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Brighton Open Gift
Today at 9:00 am by safrican

» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Today at 7:32 am by Admin

» Ararat Gift
Yesterday at 4:03 pm by GLPR

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Yesterday at 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Yesterday at 10:35 am by Admin

» Northcote Women’s winners handicap
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm by FortySevenThirty

» Northcote results
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:18 am by Todd Ireland

» Northcote Gift
Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:52 pm by untouchables

» Northcote Womens 100m
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:23 pm by Thatsthestats

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Rhett Medford banned for 2 years

Rhett Medford banned for 2 years

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Rhett Medford banned for 2 years on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:39 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8257004

Haven't been in a position to update the site much lately, so this news is now 5 days old but for those who are not aware, Rhett Medford was banned for refusing to submit to a drug test.

Australian sprinter banned for two years
NineMSN.com
Fri Jun 3 2011

Victorian sprinter Rhett Medford has received a two-year ban after refusing to submit to an out-of-competition doping test.

The incident occurred on March 23 last year at the Aberfeldie Athletics Track in Melbourne.

The ban was imposed by the Victorian Athletics League (VAL), responsible for overseeing professional running in the state.

Medford has also competed in amateur meets.

The two-year ban will expire on September 20, 2012 after being backdated to the date of Medford's admissions concerning the anti-doping rule violation.

The VAL decision was acknowledged on Friday by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

2 Re: Rhett Medford banned for 2 years on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:01 am

RM frien

He refused the test due to religious beliefs (muslim). He offered to do a blood test although was declined. He also offered to urine in the cup without the ASADA tester observing his penis which was also declined.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

How do other Muslim athletes world wide go about their drug testing?

3 Re: Rhett Medford banned for 2 years on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:18 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
I don't know Rhett all that well, but from the times I have met him, he certainly did not appear to be someone who would buck authority without a very strong reason. He seems a decent, respectful young bloke.

I'm sure he would have obliged had he been given the opportunity to do it in accordance with his religious beliefs.

Disappointing a compromise could not have been reached and Rhett's integrity & reputation been kept intact.

4 Re: Rhett Medford banned for 2 years on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Seasons

Out of competition? This is strange?? Wouldnt this be after the season has finished or pre season?
March 23rd, a Tuesday night, at the Abers track sounds like its at the pointy end of the season. Rhett wouldnt be at the Abers track unless his in some type of competition or training.

5 Re: Rhett Medford banned for 2 years on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:18 pm

Bloke

Agreed, RM is a great guy. As Paul says, it's disappointing that a compromise was unable to be reached. Unfortunately, he was forced to make a decision between his personal beliefs and his athletic obligations.

6 Re: Rhett Medford banned for 2 years on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:41 pm

Phantom

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Seasons, I think 'out of competition' refers to the fact that it wasn't conducted on the day of a competition. I think this was a case of Rhett not understanding the test was not a compromise of his beliefs and is allowable under his religion.

7 Re: Rhett Medford banned for 2 years on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:38 am

concernd

What are peoples thoughts on this?
the val knew of his situation but didnt do anything to prevent an issue like this from happening. politics and heads in the sand come into thought.

sad but true.

8 Re: Rhett Medford banned for 2 years on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:16 pm

Phantom

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
What does the VAL have to do with this? ASADA do the testing and the VAL enforce their penalties as they are required to do. Not everything has to be a conspiracy theory.

9 Re: Rhett Medford banned for 2 years on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:35 am

Speedy

Rules are rules and a drug cheat is a drug cheat

10 Re: Rhett Medford banned for 2 years on Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:44 am

Disagree

Rules are rules and must apply equally to all. However, I do not necessarily agree that a breach of the rules automatically makes someone a drug cheat. There are circumstances under which a breach of the rules does not lead to an inference that the impugned individual is a drug cheat.

I believe this is such a circumstance. I think he's an individual who is very committed to his convictions; he chose what he thought (correctly or incorrectly) to be morally correct, in the circumstances.

11 Hey Everybody on Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:16 pm

rmedford

Hi All, Rhett here (yes the real one)

Thanks for all the kind words and support, didn't think my ban would be much news, hence my delay in having a look. LOL.

For the record, the method of testing is allowed in my religion, but not knowing at the time I made a judgment call and well the rest is history.

My ban is up later this year so will return at some stage next season, however not sure when as living in remote NT working in a place called Jabiru now.

VAL supported me as much as they could, but there hands were somewhat tied, I initially tried to fight the ban, but ASADA are pretty ruthless in following their convictions and pride themselves on few of there bans being overturned. As such it was too hard.

Any who was a bit of a blessing in disguise as with a 4yo, 2yo and 1yo things have been pretty busy lately.

Thanks again, look forward to seeing all again sometime God willing.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum