PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Today at 7:32 am by Admin

» Ararat Gift
Yesterday at 4:03 pm by GLPR

» Brighton Open Gift
Yesterday at 2:38 pm by Admin

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Yesterday at 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Yesterday at 10:35 am by Admin

» Northcote Women’s winners handicap
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm by FortySevenThirty

» Northcote results
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:18 am by Todd Ireland

» Northcote Gift
Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:52 pm by untouchables

» Northcote Womens 100m
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:23 pm by Thatsthestats

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » RIP Alby Donnelly

RIP Alby Donnelly

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 RIP Alby Donnelly on Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:56 pm

Colin Rowston

Today I attended the funeral of a much-loved man associated with the SA Athletic League, Alby Donnelly. Alby has been known for many years by those in the sport as a generous man who always keenly followed pro-running, especially the Bay Sheffield. Every year at the Bay for many years, he has set up on the eastern side of Colley Reserve and has been joined in recent times by the League's Patron Bruce McAvaney.

Alby cared for his ill wife in recent years and sadly she passed away earlier this year. Only one month ago, Alby was diagnosed with terminal cancer which had riddled his body. He passed away on May 31 at the age of 82.

Alby's funeral was attended by a number of League representatives, including Brendan Golden, Deb Osmond, Michelle Burckhardt, Brian Hart, Frank McHugh, Ian Reddaway, Mark Howson and Bruce McAvaney.

We found out today that just prior to his death, Alby had organised for money to be sent to the League to cover his League sash donations for the upcoming season.

Alby Donnelly will be sadly missed. Rest in peace.

2 Re: RIP Alby Donnelly on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:12 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
I think I can speak for a lot of SAAL members & supporters who were not at Alby's funeral to say that this news comes as a quite a shock and is very difficult to comprehend. I was pretty much gutted when I read about it on Protrack.

Had the information about Alby's death been disseminated before the funeral, I think many more would have paid their respects. Sad to read about it after the event.

Alby was a wonderful bloke who kept details on athletes in hand written notes - much of it to work out how close to even time the athlete had run. He was a pleasure to chat too and you had to admire and respect his judgement given the analysis he put it into it.

I have rung around some of those who are not mentioned in Rowston's message and like me, they're saddened not to have been told earlier.

Would not have hurt for someone to mention it on the forum before Monday.

RIP Alby.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum