PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Rob DeCastella guides indigenous youth to NY marathon

Rob DeCastella guides indigenous youth to NY marathon

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/indigenous-youths-pound-pavements/2173964.aspx

Indigenous boys undertake a 17km run around Lake
Burley Griffin yesterday.

Indigenous youths pound pavements

BY DAVID POLKINGHORNE, ATHLETICS
Canberra Times
25 May, 2011

There's only one way to prepare for a marathon and that's with hours of hard work, as a group of 11 indigenous boys found out in Canberra over the past four days.

They had a four-day training camp at the AIS as part of the Marathon Project which has been set up to help promote running in indigenous communities around Australia.

A squad of 12 boys and eight girls has been assembled, of which six boys and four girls will get the chance to run in the New York Marathon in November.

Those who miss out will compete in a domestic marathon, or one in Japan or Europe.

The camp concluded yesterday with a 17km run around Lake Burley Griffin.

Kiwa Schilling comes from Kanmantoo in the Adelaide Hills, which has a population of about 70 people, and he's excited about the chance to run in front of thousands of spectators in the Big Apple.

''It'd be a good experience to have to go to New York,'' he said.

''I'd love to go there, it's just about how far I push myself to get there.''

The Mt Barker High Year 11 student was introduced to the program through the school's Aboriginal worker and had never run that far before yesterday.

It didn't prove too much of a problem for the 17-year-old who finished fourth.

''The only long distance running is the 1500m at school and the only consistent running I've ever done was the 5-k time trial we had to do to get in [to the program],'' Schilling said.

His only major concern was with his shoulders, not his legs, due to a rib injury he received while playing Australian football for the Nairne Rams.

Michael Purcell, from Charleville in remote south-west Queensland, finished third in the run.

He had never heard of former world champion marathon runner Robert de Castella until after he became involved in the program.

''I met him [de Castella] in Brisbane for the tryouts, he said his name and I thought he was a trainer or something,'' Purcell said.

''But when I got back home my parents and family were saying, 'Have you met Robert de Castella?'

''And I was, 'Yeah, why was that?'

'' 'You know he's a world champion?'

''... I was talking to a world champion and I didn't even know it.''

All the runners are also studying a Certificate III in Community Recreation as part of the program, which is run by de Castella and coach Tim Rowe.

De Castella said there were two objectives for the project.

''A part of the program is to try and find a champion, the other is to promote running and walking in the communities to improve the health of indigenous Australians,'' de Castella said.

''So we're also looking to identify and develop leaders.''

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum