PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Laura Whaler sees Daegu as stepping stone to London

Laura Whaler sees Daegu as stepping stone to London

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/laura-on-pace-for-start-at-olympics/2169044.aspx

Laura on pace for start at Olympics
BY JOSH LEESON
20 May, 2011 04:00 AM

MAITLAND sprinting star Laura Whaler said the disappointment of her Commonwealth Games snub last year helped inspire her to qualify for the World Athletics Championships in Daegu, South Korea, in August.

The 23-year-old ran the third leg in the Australian women’s 4x100-metre relay team, which qualified for the world championships at the Kawasaki Super Meet in Japan on May 8.

Whaler’s teammates were Sally Pearson, Charlotte van Veenendaal and Melissa Breen.

The team ran a time of 43.69seconds in finishing second to Japan (43.39).

To qualify for the world championships a time of 44.00 was needed, and previously the women had fallen agonisingly short with 44.02 and 44.04.

The world championships will be Whaler’s first national appearance on the world stage.

In April 2010 Athletics Australia controversially scrapped the women’s 4x100m relay team for the Delhi Commonwealth Games, saying they were not competitive enough.

AA’s decision almost certainly robbed Whaler of her chance to wear the green and gold.

‘‘Missing the Comm Games last year was bit of a bummer, so it probably makes it sweeter this time around,’’ Whaler said yesterday.

‘‘It’s a bigger thing, the world champs, anyway. It’s a definite step up from Comm Games, and I’m really excited to finally wear the green and gold.

‘‘Having that disappointment definitely made me get back and train harder to ensure I wasn’t going to miss the Australian team again.’’

Whaler has also had to battle a hip injury during the Australian summer season, and she received a cortisone injection straight after the national championships in April.

‘‘I did the hard work and it was disappointing to carry an injury this year, so my individual races weren’t as strong because I was struggling with my hip,’’ she said.

Making the world championships is Whaler’s greatest achievement to date, but there is no doubt the London 2012 Olympics are at the forefront on her mind.

‘‘London is obviously the pinnacle of my goals,’’ she said.

‘‘All this is definitely a stepping stone, and it’s important to have those stepping stones and the experience before the Olympics.

‘‘Even now I’m training for London. World champs is a definite bonus, but I want to be racing individually at the Olympics as well as being part of the Australian relay team.’’

Right now Australia’s chances of fielding a women’s 4x100m relay team at London are high.

Australia are ranked 13th in the world following their time of 43.69 in Japan.

The top 16 qualify for the Olympics.

The average of the teams’ two fastest times over the next 12months will determine which countries qualify.

‘‘I know the other countries will be faster and so will we, so you don’t really know where you sit until the very end,’’ Whaler said.

‘‘At this stage we might be there, but you can fall in and out very quickly, so we have to run as fast as we can to hold that spot.’’

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

hyena

In April 2010 Athletics Australia controversially scrapped the women’s 4x100m relay team for the Delhi Commonwealth Games, saying they were not competitive enough.

AA’s decision almost certainly robbed Whaler of her chance to wear the green and gold.

Robbed Laura and the girls of a certain medal too.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum