PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Brighton Open Gift
Today at 9:00 am by safrican

» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Today at 7:32 am by Admin

» Ararat Gift
Yesterday at 4:03 pm by GLPR

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Yesterday at 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Yesterday at 10:35 am by Admin

» Northcote Women’s winners handicap
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm by FortySevenThirty

» Northcote results
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:18 am by Todd Ireland

» Northcote Gift
Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:52 pm by untouchables

» Northcote Womens 100m
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:23 pm by Thatsthestats

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Sophie Taylor impressive résumé now includes running for Australia

Sophie Taylor impressive résumé now includes running for Australia

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/sprinting-star-adds-to-her-impressive-resume/2150523.aspx

Sophie Taylor after winning the Ballarat Women's Gift.

Sprinting star adds to her impressive resume
TANYA PAOLUCCI
Bendigo Adebertiser
03 May, 2011

Bendigo sprint star Sophie Taylor continues to shine after she won the Ballarat Women’s Gift on Sunday.
The 15-year-old was the fastest qualifier for the Gift, which was run at Ballarat’s Eureka Stadium.

Taylor, the backmarker off a two-metre handicap, said the final boasted a number of tough competitors.

“There were four girls in the final that had won it before,” she said.

“They were of varying ages, there was one in her twenties and the others may have been over 30.

“I was the youngest competitor in the final and I am really happy to have won it.”

The Bendigo Catholic College student also competed in the Stawell Gift over the Easter weekend, finishing third in the women’s event.

Taylor managed to finish third in the open 70-metre event at Stawell as well, where she competed against both men and women.

“It was so scary (racing against men). They didn’t even start that far behind me and in the last 20 metres you can just hear them coming after you,” she said.

“You can’t see them so you’re just out there running like a rabbit.”

Taylor said she enjoyed her experience at Stawell because she had the chance to mix with some of the nation’s best athletes.

“Stawell was really fun. We stayed there a few nights and it was really good because there were people like Tamsyn Lewis there and other Olympians,” she said.

“They came up and talked to me, so it was really good to be able to meet them all.”

Taylor will travel to Poland next month with the Catholic College Bendigo Athletics team for the World Schools Final.

The teenager has had an outstanding 12 months on the track, including winning the open 100m crown at the Victorian titles, as well as winning the Australian under-18 100m and 200m sprint championships.

Taylor was recognised for her achievements at the 2010-11 Bendigo Advertiser-WIN Television Sports Star of the Year Award, as she was named the Maxine Crouch Trust Fund recipient.

Last edited by Admin on Wed May 25, 2011 11:11 am; edited 2 times in total

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/commonwealth-callup-for-sprinting-star/2172123.aspx

Commonwealth call-up for sprinting star
By TANYA PAOLUCCI
Bendigo Advertiser
24 May, 2011

STAR Bendigo athlete Sophie Taylor will don the green and gold for the first time when she represents Australia at the Youth Commonwealth Games.
Taylor was selected by Athletics Australia as one of 27 young athletes to compete at the Games, which will be held on the Isle of Man from September 7 to 13 this year.

The 15-year-old’s selection comes on the back of an outstanding season on the track, including being crowned the under-18 100-metre champion at the Australian Junior Track and Field Championships in Sydney earlier this year.

In March, Taylor was the joint monthly winner of the Bendigo Advertiser-WIN Television Sports Star of the Year award.

The Catholic College student, who will have her first taste of international competition when she travels to Poland next month for the Schools Championship, said she was thrilled with her selection.

“I’m really excited about it. I’ve never represented Australia before so that’s going to be the best part,” she said.

“I’m pretty nervous because I really want to do well over there and there will be tough competition.”

Taylor, who recently took part in in an Athletics Australia under-17 training camp with fellow CCB athlete Maddie Lawson, said she has stepped up her training ahead of her international competitions.

“The training camp was really good in Canberra,” she said.

“It was the hardest training I’ve ever done and we trained pretty much all day every day.”

Although Taylor has been selected to run the 200 metres, the athlete said she would love the opportunity to compete in her pet event of 100 metres on the Isle of Man.

“I’m running the 200m but I do want to run the 100m because I really enjoy the 100m,” she said.

“It’s less tiring to run, but I also think I’m better at the 100m.”

Taylor’s coach Terry Higgs said Taylor would face some quality competition at the international event.

“When you look at the best sprinters in the world right now, they are coming out of Jamaica, the West Indies and England, who will all be at the Youth Commonwealth Games,” he said.

Kyneton junior athlete Rochelle Kennedy was also selected in the Australian Youth Commonwealth Games team and will contest the 800 metres.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum