PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Olympics - next mission for Stawell Gift winner

Olympics - next mission for Stawell Gift winner

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.tweednews.com.au/story/2011/04/28/olympics-the-next-mission-after-stawell-gift-tweed/

Stawell Gift winner Mitch Williams.

Olympics next mission for Williams
By James Perkins
Tweed News
28th April 2011

STAWELL Gift winner Mitchell Williams has set his sights on representing Australia at the Olympics.

The Tweed Heads sprinter took a famous victory on Tuesday when he won by a nose in the iconic race, despite straining his hamstring with about 12 metres to go.

The former Bilambil Jets flyer arrived back on the Coast yesterday, still limping but with a big smile on his face.

“It is definitely a big achievement in my life and hopefully there is more to come,” he said at Currumbin.

“There are a lot of good athletes in the Stawell Gift, so it is definitely good to get one on the board there.”

The next few months of the 19-year-old’s life will be dedicated to getting his troublesome hamstring right and assessing his goals for the future.

He said the Stawell Gift had been a long-term dream and the Olympics was also on the list.

“It is definitely on the boards, I am only 19, so if I get the hamstring right, get everything right, do everything right over the next 12 months, I am sure I can get there,” the former Tweed River High School student said.

So does that mean he wants to go to London?

“I don’t know about that, but we’ll see, we’ll see how we go.”

Williams has been troubled by injury for the past two years and will be able to use the $40,000 winner’s cheque for some proper treatment.

He won the event in 12.18 seconds, just one hundredth of a second clear of frontmarker Ed Ware from Sydney.

He collapsed to the ground after crossing the line and punched the ground in both agony and disappointment, because he didn’t know he had won.

Coach Brett Robinson rushed up seconds later and told the injured racer he had won, a judgement made with his naked eye.

“I had a good start then came through quite strong. About 12 metres out I tore it then kind of just pushed through to the end,” Williams said.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum