PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Sean Wroe confident of Relay Gold at Comm Games

Sean Wroe confident of Relay Gold at Comm Games

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://cityjournal.dsc.rmit.edu.au/?p=6382&preview=true

Wroe on track for Delhi
By Alexandria Funnell and Michelle Herbison
City Journal On line
August 6, 2010

Sean Wroe wants to win gold at the upcoming Delhi Commonwealth Games, and he knows he can do it — all he needs is a bit of positive thinking, and a lot of hard work.

The 25-year-old is representing Australia in the 400m-relay squad.

One method he’s incorporated into his regimen is staying upbeat about the upcoming experience.

“I’m naturally a very positive person, and like anyone I have my down days, but I always try to overcome them,” he said.

Like many athletes, Sean is a firm believer in the power of positive thinking, and regularly uses visualisation techniques in the lead-up to a big race.

“It helps if you visualise yourself running and what it’s going to feel like because it’s the closest thing you can get to racing, without actually doing it, I find it very useful.”

Sean balances the mental with the physical.

“I’ve always believed in a really balanced kind of life and obviously being an athlete can be hard. We’re not robots, we are human beings as well and we do like to have a social life, ” he said.

While Sean has made a name for himself as one of Australia’s leading athletes, running hasn’t always been his number one focus.

“When I was at high school, athletics was definitely a burning passion of mine, but it wasn’t necessarily the one true thing that I wanted to do,” he said.

“It wasn’t until about Year 11 that I realised I actually had the potential to have a career in athletics, and so I really started to pursue it.”

He said he knows his career as an athlete cannot last forever. He has hopes of one day moving into the management side of sport.

He is currently completing a degree in business and Japanese at Swinburne University.

Although Sean could be described as a high-achiever, the humble student is adamant there is nothing “star-like” about him, and he expresses concerns about the extent people, especially kids, worship athletes.

“People recognise me when I’m out in Melbourne, and it’s cool that they idolise me, but to me I feel like I’m just a regular person. I’m just really good at what I do, which is sport.”

“I wish they idolised doctors or lawyers and things like that, because in all honesty, I just run around a track so I don’t really see what the big deal is.”

Despite his modesty, Sean has enjoyed some great athletic success so far, and is certainly someone to keep an eye on during the games.

To find out more about Sean’s training regimen, watch the slideshow at the address below.
http://cityjournal.dsc.rmit.edu.au/?p=6382&preview=true

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum