PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Andrew McCabe realises his goal of running at Stawell

Andrew McCabe realises his goal of running at Stawell

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://westside-news.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/mccabe-has-flying-feet/

McCabe has flying feet
by Brent O'Neill
Westside News
20 Apr 11

A LACK of athletics experience is proving no hurdle to success for Taringa sprinter Andrew McCabe.

With just a year of serious athletics training behind him, the 20-year-old - who ran third in the 200m at the recent state titles - will pack his bags for Victoria on Friday, where he will take part in one of the world’s most prestigious races.

McCabe is one of 156 competitors who will vie for the 130th Stawell Gift - a 120m handicapped sprint - and the $40,000 winner’s prize when the heats begin on Saturday morning ahead of Tuesday’s final.

``(Even with) my current form and the fact they have given me a reasonable handicap (6.25m), I’d be happy just to get out of the heats,’’ McCabe said.

``I have only really been in athletics for a couple of years. I trained last year for a couple of months but broke my kneecap.

``I’ve watched the Stawell Gift for about the last five years on TV and it’s always been a goal of mine to run in one of the world’s most famous foot races.

``I’d absolutely love to go back next year. It’s more an honour than anything.’‘

McCabe will also run the 70m event alongside Toowong’s Richard Norris, who has registered for the 200m open and 100m veteran’s races.

Virginia Trad, from Sherwood, will run the 120m and 200m open events.

The five-day carnival begins with the Calcutta on Friday night before Tuesday’s main event.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum