PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » No national medals for Tas

No national medals for Tas

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 No national medals for Tas on Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:05 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2011/04/18/223561_sport-news.html

No athletic medals for Tas
By RICHARD WELSH
Hobart Mercury
April 18, 2011

TASMANIAN athletes may have walked away from the 89th Australian Athletics Championships in Melbourne without any medals but several came close to podium success.

On the final day of competition ever at Olympic Park, three Tasmanian athletes finished fourth and all are regarded as rising stars.

Tasmanian Institute of Sport hammer thrower Danni McConnell got the day off to a great start placing fourth with 53.81m and while the Eastern Suburbs junior didn't secure a medal, her throw was an impressive way to complete a very consistent season that sets her up as a real contender next year.

Club mate Rebecca Direen also impressed in her first national open final, placing 7th. The surprise of the championships for Tasmania came from Hobart's Mel Daniels in the women's 1500m.

Daniels equalled her personal best in her heat on Saturday and was expected to place midfield in yesterday's 1500m final.

But the state champion stayed with the leaders for most of the race before finishing fourth with a personal best of 4:19.04.

"Today's race was probably the best race of my life," Daniels said.

"I thought I might get sixth or seventh, but to finish fourth was beyond my dreams.

"I just tried to stick with the leaders as long as I could and finish off strongly."

Meanwhile, TIS javelin thrower Hamish Peacock came the closest to getting a medal falling just 4cm short with a 69.46m effort.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum