PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Burramine Results & BORDER MAIL Report

Burramine Results & BORDER MAIL Report

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Re: Burramine Results & BORDER MAIL Report on Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:16 pm

guess

EventNo 191 120m Burramine Gift
1 1 Red 5615 Robert VIDLER 4.50 12.475 12.555
2 6 Pink 2165 Gavin O'NEIL 10.50 12.542 12.622
3 3 Blue 6416 Augustine CARTY-CO 8.00 12.570 12.650
4 4 Yellow 6510 Chris HARGREAVES 8.00 12.584 12.664
5 2 White 1486 Matthew HARGREAVE 5.00 12.616 12.696
6 5 Green 5742 Adam COOTE 9.50 12.626 12.706

Fair effort by Vidler only 4 have won it of less in 60 years.
1952 Eric Cummings 3 yds.
1965 TJ Clarke 1 yd
2001 E Evelyn 1 yd
2008 B Lowal 1 yd.

2 Re: Burramine Results & BORDER MAIL Report on Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:19 pm

guess

Sorry!
2001 E Evelyn 1 mtr
2008 B Lowal 1 mtr

3 Re: Burramine Results & BORDER MAIL Report on Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:38 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/burramine-gift-shock/2108811.aspx

Burramine Gift shock
By JAKE BOURKE
The Border Mail
21 Mar, 2011

IT was the win he didn’t see coming but 34-year-old sprinter Robbie Vidler will certainly take it.

Despite a less-than-convincing performance during his heat and in the semi-finals, Vidler put in a monster effort in the feature race to take out the 2011 Burramine Gift in Yarrawonga on Saturday.

Vidler, of Hoppers Crossing, edged out Gavin O’Neil and Augustine Carty-Cowling in the final to claim the 60th edition of the historic race in front of a bumper crowd at J.C Lowe Oval.

After finishing second in his heat and third in his semi, Vidler admits he didn’t expect to figure in the finish after just scraping through to the decider.

“It was a bit of a surprise, I didn’t realise I was running that well,” Vidler said.

“I’m 34 turning 35 this year and was starting at the back of the field off 4.5 metres.

“A lot of things were against me but I just went as hard as I could.”

Vidler was so sure he wouldn’t win the race he had already deemed his day a successful one by just making the final.

“I’d already guaranteed myself $100 by making the final so it was a successful day as far as I was concerned.

“I missed out on winning a bottle of wine during the heats though which would have been good.”

Vidler recorded a time of 12.56 seconds over the 120-metre race, a time the veteran believes he has previously bettered in his three cracks at the gift.

Although his time wasn’t quite as fast as those other years, it’s clear which edition of the race is now Vidler’s favourite.

“I think we were running 12.3s in the 2007 final but I was happy with my time,” he said.

“It’d be up there.

“I’ve had three major wins in my career and this is the first one I’ve had in Victoria.

“It was the most surprising win I’ve ever had, for sure, I didn’t come here thinking I was much of a chance.

“To win the 60th edition in front of all the previous winners was a pretty good feeling.”

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

4 Re: Burramine Results & BORDER MAIL Report on Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:54 pm

guess

http://yarrawongachronicle.com.au/

Third time lucky for Gift winner
By Fiona Blick
Yarrawonga Chronicle
Wednesday, 23 March 2011 09:27

Robert Vidler wins the 2011 Burramine Gift

It was a case of third time lucky for Robert Vidler, when after two previous attempts he was crowned winner of the 60th Burramine Gift Carnival.

In ideal weather conditions the near-capacity crowd watched top class running in both the professional and local events with full fields and close finishes the order of the day.

The final of the Burramine Gift lived up to expectations with a nail biting finish. Hoppers Crossing sprinter, 34 year old Robert Vidler was declared the winner in a time of 12.56 seconds after starting at the back of the field off 4.5 metres.

Trainer John Henry said Robert’s training in the lead-up to the Gift had been excellent.

“He was improving with each training session,” Mr Henry said. “Robert started with me a couple of years ago and really started training seriously again about five weeks ago. I always believed he could win the Gift.”

Mr Henry himself is a regular to the Burramine Gift Carnival, this being his 48th carnival.

“I used to run in the Gift, but I never managed to win it,” he said. “I have been training runners now for the last 14 years. This year was particularly successful. As well as Robert winning the Gift, I had three finalists in the 70m, three in the Gift final, and my runner won the 300m Womens/Veterans race.”

Robert came a close second in the 2007 Gift and has now achieved the ultimate prize of winning the 2010 Burramine Gift.

“I have been training consistently and have been gradually building up to the Burramine Gift,” Robert said. “I don’t think I have peaked yet. My next goal is to run at Stawell and hopefully to make the finals.”

Robert said when he saw who was running in the heats of the Burramine Gift he did not think he had much of a chance at progressing through.

“The quality of the field was excellent,” he said. “I didn’t win either my heat or the semi final but I was lucky enough to get through on times. I had my best start for the season in the final and it gave me that extra distance I needed to win.”

In terms of the track, Robert said it started off soft but then improved throughout the day.

“By the final, the track was excellent and the crowd was just amazing. Burramine is a unique race where there is always a celebration at the end of the carnival. The post-race function was definitely a highlight, it was a great year to win. I didn’t really expect to win but after such a good start, sometimes you can surprise yourself.”

A memorable moment of the day was the introduction of past Gift winners during the official opening of the carnival. Twenty-six winners returned to JC Lowe Oval from NSW and all parts of Victoria to celebrate the 60 years with the Burramine committee and were presented with a commemorative Burramine cap by the oldest winner, 84 year old Fred Sinclair, who won the Gift in 1953 and 1954.

In the evening, two hundred people attended a dinner at ClubMulwala, where Pat O’Kane officially launched the book ‘History of the Burramine Gift’ and gave a brief resume of Burramine Sports Club and its part in the professional athletics scene in Australia over the past 60 years. Two long time members of the Burramine committee, Michael Lawless and Edna O’Kane, were presented with Life Memberships of Burramine Sports Club.

Burramine Carnival secretary, Frances Connell thanked the many people who have helped over the past sixty years with planning and sponsoring this local event.

“The 60 Gift meetings wouldn’t have been possible without the support of the athletes, officials, spectators and the sponsors including Yarrawonga Holiday Park Committee, ClubMulwala, Boosey Creek Cheese, Thales and Judd and Sons, with support from the former Yarrawonga Shire, Moira Shire, members of parliament and the Yarrawonga Football Netball Club, whose facilities are used by Burramine each year,” Frances said. “It’s thanks to these people that Burramine, who donates its profits to charities, has been able to donate approximately $50,000 over the last ten years to the Yarrawonga District health Service and Yarrawonga Mulwala Respite House as well as donations to other local organizations. For many more than sixty years, Burramine people have supported local businesses, have used the facilities at Yarrawonga District Health Service and, like all residents, are grateful for the support the Respite House will give. The carnival brings hundreds of people to the area each year, enabling the committee to continue its support for Yarrawonga and Mulwala.”

Last edited by Admin on Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added photo & source.)

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum