PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL Website
Yesterday at 12:20 pm by Admin

» 2018 Australian Athletics Championships men & women 100m/200m
Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:43 pm by untouchables

» VRTA Sprinter of the Year Progressive
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:47 am by JH

» Avondale Heights Results
Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:31 pm by JH

» Stawell Gift Final - where do we stand?
Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:50 pm by ToM

» Avondale Heights bonus race 120m
Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:10 pm by auspro

» Doncaster Gift
Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:53 pm by Mex

» Bendigo now offering parity for womens 120 & 400
Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:47 pm by Mex

» Don Furness
Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:41 pm by Mex

February 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Vets shafted at Wangaratta

Vets shafted at Wangaratta

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Vets shafted at Wangaratta on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:02 pm

DDog

I agree entirely with most of the occurences at Wangaratta on Saturday but felt miffed by a couple of decisions. Could not argue with the safety aspect but there could have been some direction to athletes/others on how to be safe. I witnessed athletes carrying blocks around while lightning flashed and many others sitting on metal chairs etc. Secondly the only event not run on the program was the vets 300m. I was lucky enough to run a 120m but if I had made a long trip to Wang. for only the 300m I would have been peeved especially when for the last hour of events the conditions were perfect. I also asked the chief steward and handicapper if the athletes who were to run if they would be given a tick the response was that you can't get that without competing. Sorry guys but I couldn't because my event had been scrapped.

2 Re: Vets shafted at Wangaratta on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:16 pm

Ribera

Expert
Expert

3 Re: Vets shafted at Wangaratta on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:24 pm

Hitman17

Are you serious Ribera? You want a tick for a race that actually wasn’t held??? The vets weren’t shafted it’s just bad luck and you move on. Let it go mate,

4 Re: Vets shafted at Wangaratta on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:35 pm

Ribera

Expert
Expert
DDog wants the tick not me. DDog should be running for the win not a tick.

5 Vets Shafted on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:36 am

DDog

Answer to both Hitman and Ribera. Personally I always run to win but for most people the only way you increase your handicap is to get ticks. Some people get the old discretionary lift. On Saturday I heard an open gift runner being given permission to scratch but getting a tick. How does that work? Vets not as important as open. We pay the same rego.

6 Re: Vets shafted at Wangaratta on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:59 am

Ribera

Expert
Expert
I can see your point of view. People travel a long way, so in an act of good faith all entered in the vets 300 at Wang should be credited a tick. Especially seeing someone scratched from an open gift semi and will get his tick. He must have been scared of the lightning so they let him go home.

Talk about irony. They re-schedule the whole meet due to the heat policy. Then the heat does not arrive. Instead an electrical storm appears out of nowhere almost derailing the main part of the prgoram. Wang airport received 60mm of rain in 1 hour about 8pm so we were very lucky.
I think the organisers and VAL didn't do a bad job under the circumstances. However, the 300 heats could have been condensed and a then run as timed finals. EG/ The fastest heat winner is the overall winner. The 2 mile was run in perfect conditions at the end of the night and 3 heats of 300's could have followed with the fastest heat the overall winner.
I, along with everyone else were grateful the meet was not called off mid meeting.

Last edited by Ribera on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

7 Re: Vets shafted at Wangaratta on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:57 pm

Hitman17

Sorry Ribera, my bad I meant Ddog not you. D dog you have lost the plot, the more you respond the worse you sound.

8 Re: Vets shafted at Wangaratta on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:06 pm

BMara

On Saturday I heard an open gift runner being given permission to scratch but getting a tick. How does that work? Vets not as important as open. We pay the same rego.[/quote]

DDOG, As Mr Rolex said to Mickey Mouse " not on my watch"

Just to tie up a few loose ends
Ribera, for a smart fish, you seemed to be getting hooked lately...first Dizzwald and now the Dogster
The 2 mile finished well after 11.30. Run 4 heats of the Masters 300m after the 2mile , we finish at midnight.
Sounds great and would been a terrific idea but of all those runners that were prepared to stay behind to have run,how many were prepared to stay behind and help pack up. The answer is somewhere around Zero.

9 Re: Vets shafted at Wangaratta on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:07 am

Ribera

Expert
Expert
Ha ha, hooked once by 2 different fishermen.
Saturday's events were unprecendented in my short time in the sport. No criticism is directed anywhere. I'm just spitballing ideas on a community forum.

10 Re: Vets shafted at Wangaratta on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:10 am

DDog

When I first posted about the cancellation of the vets 300m at Wang. I expected to gauge what other vets feelings were and to air mine. From the response except from the hitman who is a vet and open athlete, don't know about Ribera, they either don't care or they aren't on protrack. I was able to get Mara from his self imposed exile back on 'track' but the reason for not putting on the vets 300m was a bit shallow as I have no doubt if athletes had been asked to help pack up there would have been a positive response. Thanks for support on ticks Ribera, I guess Hitman doesn't need them.

11 Re: Vets shafted at Wangaratta on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:51 am

Johnny FairPlay

BMara as Dorothy said to Toto, This ain’t
Kansas anymore
I don’t think taking the canvas away from the artist
Is going to help even Mickey Mouse.
I think Ribera is just painting a different picture
for all to see. Some will like it,and some won’t.
With a little luck an old d dog might just learn a few
new tricks and stay out of the hitmans range.

12 Re: Vets shafted at Wangaratta on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:02 pm

Ribera

Expert
Expert
Love it Johnny. Particularly "This ain’t Kansas anymore". I was thinking "The more things change the more they stay the same" but I like yours better.

Barra......oh sorry....Mara...don't get hooked on this.

DDog, may I suggest as you didn't get your tick for not running in a cancelled event, you will get the entry money credited toward another event. Just email the office. I recently entered Keilor via email with credit from the cancelled Warrnambool meeting. Hope all Warrnambool entered athletes have done the same.

Its been a strange year where some of us have wasted accomodation at Warrnambool and Castlemaine (original date). It has also been a trying time for officials and organisers. I thought the mood at Wangaratta was quite uplifted once we were told the meeting would proceed. Athletes seemed to stop worrying about trivial matters and were grateful to be able to compete.

Sometimes we lose focus of what we are training and running for. You think these people are enjoying their running and competitiveness but all the time they are worried about the tick.

13 Re: Vets shafted at Wangaratta on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:16 pm

Hitman17

Post of the year Ribera, two thumbs up. Couldn’t agree more. Remind me to buy you a beer post Stawell!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum