PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Massages available at Ballarat Gift
Today at 2:00 pm by floater

» Handicap anomalies
Today at 1:58 pm by Mex

» St Albans Gift
Today at 1:30 pm by untouchables

» Marion Gift Review - Tim Johnson's Breakthrough victory
Yesterday at 10:50 am by Admin

» Final timetable Ballarat Gift Feb 3rd and 4th
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:37 pm by floater

» Rye Women's Gift
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:39 pm by floater

» Castlemaine Gift
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 pm by Mex

» Frankston Results
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:42 pm by JH

» Rye Results
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 pm by JH

January 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Rye Gift

Rye Gift

Who wins the Rye Gift?

1% 1% [ 1 ]
3% 3% [ 2 ]
3% 3% [ 2 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
1% 1% [ 1 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
1% 1% [ 1 ]
14% 14% [ 10 ]
3% 3% [ 2 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
6% 6% [ 4 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
1% 1% [ 1 ]
1% 1% [ 1 ]
3% 3% [ 2 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
1% 1% [ 1 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
1% 1% [ 1 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
3% 3% [ 2 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
1% 1% [ 1 ]
3% 3% [ 2 ]
4% 4% [ 3 ]
1% 1% [ 1 ]
8% 8% [ 6 ]
1% 1% [ 1 ]
3% 3% [ 2 ]
3% 3% [ 2 ]
3% 3% [ 2 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
10% 10% [ 7 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
3% 3% [ 2 ]
14% 14% [ 10 ]
0% 0% [ 0 ]
1% 1% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 71

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Rye Gift on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:42 pm

Mex

Rye has always shown a quality final and this week will do just that again. Great numbers for the gift. Who do you like?

2 Re: Rye Gift on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:22 pm

untouchables

Morehouse

Tetaz

Coates

Netterfold

Riali

Despard

Robertson

Mitchell

Winner Coates

Last edited by untouchables on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

3 Re: Rye Gift on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:25 pm

Bang bang

Rosen to take this out from Vi and Coates

4 Re: Rye Gift on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:54 pm

GLPR

riali
morehouse
newman
vi
lugo
coates

winner: morehouse

5 Re: Rye Gift on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:34 am

Ribera

Expert
Expert
Bang Bang. Rosen no chance. Is either out through injury or suspension. Pinged a hammy at Maryborough during the 200m.

6 Re: Rye Gift on Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:14 pm

Bang bang

Ribera wrote:Bang Bang. Rosen no chance. Is either out through injury or suspension. Pinged a hammy at Maryborough during the 200m.
Oh that's bad luck for him then, I will go with Vi from Coates and Moloney
Thanks for the heads up

7 Re: Rye Gift on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:25 pm

timrosen35

Certainly no suspension Ribera! Well none that I’ve been told about Shocked

8 Re: Rye Gift on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:15 am

Ribera

Expert
Expert
Just checked the stewards report and no mention of your injury so you are correct and good to go as soon as you are healed.

9 Re: Rye Gift on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:22 am

DizzyRunner

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Ribera wrote:Just checked the stewards report and no mention of your injury so you are correct and good to go as soon as you are healed.

The level of care and concern for the welfare of athletes is second-to-none on this forum.

10 Transparency on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:34 am

DDog

Interesting about penalties for injuries/pulling out of races penalties. Over the years I have seen runners pull out of events whilst participating and then run the following week. Is there a set penalty, if there is it needs to be enforced. Sometimes it says in race report such and such pulled out of race but there is no mention of penalty. If there is a penalty let's have some transparency.

11 Re: Rye Gift on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:50 am

timrosen35

Haha this is good from you Dizzy. So true.

DizzyRunner wrote:
Ribera wrote:Just checked the stewards report and no mention of your injury so you are correct and good to go as soon as you are healed.

The level of care and concern for the welfare of athletes is second-to-none on this forum.

12 Re: Rye Gift on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:53 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
DizzyRunner wrote:

Perhaps it's second to 'none' because there is 'none' other.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

13 Re: Rye Gift on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:57 am

DizzyRunner

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
DDog wrote:Interesting about penalties for injuries/pulling out of races penalties. Over the years I have seen runners pull out of events whilst participating and then run the following week. Is there a set penalty, if there is it needs to be enforced. Sometimes it says in race report such and such pulled out of race but there is no mention of penalty. If there is a penalty let's have some transparency.

The word 'discretion' appears 34 times in the VAL Regulations and a further 64 times in the VAL Handicap Regulations.

14 Re: Rye Gift on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Ribera

Expert
Expert
DDog, the old rule was 28 day suspension or 14 with a Dr certificate and clearance from Chief Steward. These are archaic rules from times when proper betting took place. These days it seems left to the athlete to manage when they are right to come back and race. Most times the athlete won't be right for 2-4 weeks anyway. A cramp and they might be right for the following week. There is no gain these days in faking an injury except for one circumstance. When an athlete has time up after heats or semis pulling out with injury. This leaves it open for manipulation.
The elephant in the room last year was Rialli pulling out with injury of the final at Bendigo Gift with time up. He already had his Stawell Gift auto lift after winning earlier in the season and would have lost it had he won Bendigo. He may well have been genuinely injured or have a niggle and made the right call to pull out as he was going to the National champs and was a live chance in Stawell Gift. Stawell was over 4 weeks away so the VAL suspension would not have mattered.
Injured or not it was a smart decision.
Imagine it occuring 1 or 2 weeks out from Stawell.

15 Re: Rye Gift on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
Ribera wrote:DDog, the old rule was 28 day suspension or 14 with a Dr certificate and clearance from Chief Steward. These are archaic rules from times when proper betting took place. These days it seems left to the athlete to manage when they are right to come back and race. Most times the athlete won't be right for 2-4 weeks anyway. A cramp and they might be right for the following week. There is no gain these days in faking an injury except for one circumstance. When an athlete has time up after heats or semis pulling out with injury. This leaves it open for manipulation.
The elephant in the room last year was Rialli pulling out with injury of the final at Bendigo Gift with time up. He already had his Stawell Gift auto lift after winning earlier in the season and would have lost it had he won Bendigo. He may well have been genuinely injured or have a niggle and made the right call to pull out as he was going to the National champs and was a live chance in Stawell Gift. Stawell was over 4 weeks away so the VAL suspension would not have mattered.
Injured or not it was a smart decision.
Imagine it occuring 1 or 2 weeks out from Stawell.

It happened in 1983 although it was 3 weeks apart. Dallas O'Brien had the fastest time of the Bendigo '5000' heats then scratched the next day due to hamstring soreness. Stawell was early that year, 3 weeks between Bendigo and Stawell.

I can't remember for sure, but I reckon O'Brien got a 0.50m lift for Stawell. (5.50m to 6.00m).

In those days the 28 day rule was in force so I believe he provided medical evidence to prove he was fully fit to run at Stawell.

By the time the heats started O'Brien had been backed into even money favourite. He ran in the final heat - heat 32 and duly ran the fastest time of 12.13sec, beating Al Green. On Easter Monday he won the Gift beating, the then unknown, Paul Singleton.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

16 Re: Rye Gift on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:58 pm

Ribera

Expert
Expert
Looks like there is another issue. This time with athletes wearing flats then receiving handicap lifts. Both miles tomorrow at Rye have athletes who wore flats in the Northcote mile then received handicap lifts at their next start.
I think it is great that stewarding is allowing these athletes to compete in flats BUT they should receive an automatic NAP for that performance.
Last year an athlete competed in flats (with steward permission) in 300m events and was lifted in handicap. The athlete then donned the spikes and won that same day over 300m. Great that the athlete was able to keep competing until they transitioned into spikes but they should not have been lifted in handicap.

Again, I think it is great to help athletes out who are transitioning into spikes with obvious calf issues but they should be NAP'd and no handicap lift until they earn that lift performing in spikes.

17 Re: Rye Gift on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:45 pm

Mex

Rye has always proved to be a quality meet. This thread has looked at some of the discretionary aspects of our sport. Flats in distance races and lifts, being lifted without running, no automatic stand down for an injury. What about the penalty being applied for making a Stawell gift final. Not sure many have received that over the recent years including one of our poll favourites. The voting now has closed. Not many for Newman this time around, we either think he is not a legitimate chance or is waiting. I can see him having a big go at Wangaratta, the big coin and handy lift.

Brendan Matthews 6.5m / Carl Morehouse 6.5m – 14% - Brendan is simply one of the best handicapped athletes going around. He is another one who may go after a .75 lift at some stage but may also try his luck at Wangaratta. Matthews will once again be dangerous and with the carrot dangling tantalizingly in front of him we may see some of his best. Morehouse has been spoken about recently. I like him for a win at some stage this year. I would also like him fit at the business stage of the season.

Callum James 9.75m / Rupert Lugo 10.25m – 8% - James has been thereabouts in the main race in recent seasons. He has a handy mark and will either go for a win at a good race like Rye or something similar. Not sure he has the speed right now to win though. Lugo made big finals over the Christmas period. We have mentioned before that he is ready. Can he get it done on a soft track?

Lawrence Coop 13.25m / Tim Rosen 13.75m – 10% - Some may have forgotten that Coop made multiple gift finals two years back. He can absolutely final here and for the next few weeks. Look for him to take a win before the season is out. Rosen is injured. His mark is back to being dangerous though. He will win more gift finals when fit.

Maddie Coates 15m / Steven Coulson 15m – 14% - With respect to Coulson, these votes are for Coates. She could be dangerous off 15m but I feel that the track will not suit her tomorrow. Chance at a final but I feel that one of the male athletes will want the bonus more.

Good luck

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum