PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Massages available at Ballarat Gift
Today at 2:00 pm by floater

» Handicap anomalies
Today at 1:58 pm by Mex

» St Albans Gift
Today at 1:30 pm by untouchables

» Marion Gift Review - Tim Johnson's Breakthrough victory
Yesterday at 10:50 am by Admin

» Final timetable Ballarat Gift Feb 3rd and 4th
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:37 pm by floater

» Rye Women's Gift
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:39 pm by floater

» Castlemaine Gift
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 pm by Mex

» Frankston Results
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:42 pm by JH

» Rye Results
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 pm by JH

January 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Castlemaine Gift meeting postponed to 21 January due to hot weather.

Castlemaine Gift meeting postponed to 21 January due to hot weather.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
Castlemaine Gift postponed

http://www.val.org.au/News/tabid/132/ID/1211/Castlemaine-Gift-postponed.aspx
From the Victorian Athletic League

~ ~ URGENT NOTICE ~ ~

Due to the extreme temperature forecast for this Saturday (6 January), the Castlemaine Gift has been rescheduled to Sunday 21 January. The Daylesford Gift is still set to go ahead this Sunday.

Entries will now close for the Castlemaine Gift on Sunday 7 January at midnight.

Entry fees for events that are cancelled or rescheduled will be credited to the same or another meeting. If athletes are unable to attend on the revised date, they can credit their entries toward another meeting. Please note, credits or refunds for Castlemaine must be advised via email to val@val.org.au by 9:00am Monday 8 January.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

2 What again on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:50 pm

smokey

Expert
Expert
Dumb dumb decision

Let the athletes decide if they want to run.
We ran on Black Saturday in similar heat.
Spoils our reputation for reliability of our meetings.
Our officials can look after themselves.
Runners are inconvenienced as many have made arrangements to be there on the day.
I heard the Club wanted to go on.
The forecast might be wrong  -   again.
I still have trouble believing this decision has been made.

fox

I haven't entered but have spoken to a few athletes who have. What doesn't make sense with this decision is that the predicted hot weather was known on Monday. Why wait until Thursday to make the decision? Flights and accommodation would have been booked and would be non-refundable by then. Most interstate runners are now starting to believe that the VAL are not reliable enough to run meets when they cancel or postpone with no consistency. Last year Castlemaine and Daylesford were both hot but we all lived. Plus almost all runners by this time of year are climatised to hot weather as they are training in hot conditions and were expecting hot conditions. It's not hard to get through it. Wear a hat, sunblock and stay hydrated. Castlemaine is well shaded too. Australia is a hot and dry country. We have all grown up in these conditions and we are used to it.

Most of the events are sprint events or middle distance and athletes are not exposed to the heat for long periods.

I suspect that there is someone very soft in VAL. If we are still sending kids off to school in hot weather, why can't fit, healthy adults bear a little sunshine? This is un-Australian.

Hey Hey

i understand there's not to many other times castlemaine  can be rescheduled,  but seriously making it now a double header after st albans which doesn't usually finish til 10.00pm and racing 300's, is just asking for trouble. Good Luck to those athletes who want to do both, as fatigued muscles and lack of recovery is key injuries.

5 Disagree with most of the comments on here on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:50 pm

Passing intrest

I have never posted on here but thought i might run the risk. (it may be my last).

I may be in the minority but I actually agree with the decision. I am not on Board and have no vested interest.

I will say however that the health and safety of competitors and officials have to be the priority. Most sports have heat policies and whilst the VAL's looks a bit loose - it does have guidelines as do many sports. I have noted that Aths Vic website that they have also moved their dates due to the weather. (albeit it by one day)

If you take a worst case scenario and someone collapses, is severely injured or worse - I would not want to be in either the coroners box or defending any legal suits as an official of the VAL trying to justify and defend a decision as to why it is a good idea to allow competitors to compete on a 41- degree day.

Unfortunately, times have changed from the good old days of running on days like 'Black Saturday' and to tough it out. Organisations need to reduce the risk to ALARP which stands for "as low as reasonably practicable". To run on a 41-degree day makes no sense and I wouldn't and couldn't justify this from an event organisers perspective. You are not going to get spectators turning up, heaps of scratchings from those who are sensible enough not to run and a horrible look for the sport.

Whilst it does have a number of negative outcomes for the event organising committee, lose of trade for the local businesses, those interstate athletes who booked flights this week (why you would do that when you have a fair idea its going to be 41 and a chance to be cancelled is beyond me). I think it actually shows some good practical thought and may allow for more runners to compete on the 21st January.

I for one will be there on the 21st, I wasn't coming tomorrow due to the weather.

A good decision.

Graeme Lebroy

I agree it’s a sensible decision to postpone the meeting but the question remains...
1 what is extreme weather
2 what is a reasonable timeframe in advance to make the decision to postpone or abandon?

In SA the extreme heat policy is quite clear and meetings get pushed back to night time. When do the SA officials normally make this call? Does it work well?

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
SAAL rules of racing on any Postponement

POSTPONEMENT      
18.1     Race or Meeting
In  the  event  of  adverse  weather  conditions  or  for  any  other  extenuating  
circumstances, the Chief Steward shall have the power to postpone the races
in  a  race  program  from  hour  to  hour  and  from  time  to  time  and  make  any  
alterations  to  the  program  as  he  thinks  fit.    The  S.A.A.L.  shall  not  be  
responsible  for  any  expenses  or  loss  incurred  by  athletes  or  coaches  in  
consequence  of  any  postponement  or  any  other  action  taken  in  relation  to  
this rule.
18.2     Hot Weather Policy
In the event that the expected highest temperature for a race day is estimated
to  be  38  degrees  or  above,  on  the  evening  news  two  days  before  the  race  
day, the first race on the program will not be held before 6 p.m.  If this is not
possible the race meeting may be postponed or cancelled.

18.3     Entry Fee Refund
In the event of the cancellation of an event, the entry fee for that event is to
be  refunded  after  the  deduction  of  the  appropriate  administration  fees  as  
determined by the S.A.A.L. Management Committee.

I guess the SAAL doesnt have the problem as the VAL as very few interstaters compete in SA except for Bay and Camden and all meetings are held locally except for Loxton so the only problem the SAAL has really is the race nomination fees.

Graeme Lebroy

yeah 2 days is pretty tight if the Val have gone with 3 and still copping flak.

Hopefully both the postponed meeting and St. Albans are well attended

fox

I'll reply to the misconceptions in the above comments. If you actually look at the experts in the field (I have cited one below). It is recommended that when exercising in hot weather, athletes should have access to cooling down areas and a common sense measure of staying hydrated and listening to your body. As mentioned above, Castlemaine has many shaded areas and men and women have separate sheds to cool off if needed. Also regarding the risk of injury or sudden death, it is very much overstated. The risk of sudden cardiac death in hot conditions is 1 in 200,000 for athletes. Most of those individuals have pre-existing or undetected cardiac abnormalities.

If we apply the research, the VAL may not be negligent in running an event in hot conditions as they have taken reasonable steps to ensure safety for athletes and participants. They usually have shaded tents set up, sunblock freely available, and water. There are also showers for both men and women which can be used for cooling off.

There are clearly some simpletons in the VAL who do not do enough research before making decisions. As I recall, Warrnambool was called off when the weather on the day was good for a Gift. I checked the weather this morning and at 10am Castlemaine was 29 and predicted to be 39. It is 36 now but it is not unbearable.

The VAL needs to apply their hot weather policies with more consistency. Even last year there were carnivals that still went ahead with the same heat.

Earlier in the week, no one on this forum thought it would be postponed. There was even a poll on who would win. So we were all taken by surprise. To blame interstaters for booking flights and accommodation earlier in the week is an unfair, callous dig.

*** Consensus recommendations on training and competing in the heat. S. Racinais, J. M. Alonso, A. J. Coutts, A. D. Flouris, O. Girard, J. González-Alonso, C. Hausswirth, O. Jay, J. K. W. Lee, N. Mitchell, G. P. Nassis, L. Nybo, B. M. Pluim, B. Roelands, M. N. Sawka, J. E. Wingo, J. D. Périard First published:6 May 2015

untouchables

fox wrote:I'll reply to the misconceptions in the above comments. If you actually look at the experts in the field (I have cited one below). It is recommended that when exercising in hot weather, athletes should have access to cooling down areas and a common sense measure of staying hydrated and listening to your body. As mentioned above, Castlemaine has many shaded areas and men and women have separate sheds to cool off if needed. Also regarding the risk of injury or sudden death, it is very much overstated. The risk of sudden cardiac death in hot conditions is 1 in 200,000 for athletes. Most of those individuals have pre-existing or undetected cardiac abnormalities.

If we apply the research, the VAL may not be negligent in running an event in hot conditions as they have taken reasonable steps to ensure safety for athletes and participants. They usually have shaded tents set up, sunblock freely available, and water. There are also showers for both men and women which can be used for cooling off.

There are clearly some simpletons in the VAL who do not do enough research before making decisions. As I recall, Warrnambool was called off when the weather on the day was good for a Gift. I checked the weather this morning and at 10am Castlemaine was 29 and predicted to be 39. It is 36 now but it is not unbearable.

The VAL needs to apply their hot weather policies with more consistency. Even last year there were carnivals that still went ahead with the same heat.

Earlier in the week, no one on this forum thought it would be postponed. There was even a poll on who would win. So we were all taken by surprise. To blame interstaters for booking flights and accommodation earlier in the week is an unfair, callous dig.

*** Consensus recommendations on training and competing in the heat. S. Racinais, J. M. Alonso, A. J. Coutts, A. D. Flouris, O. Girard, J. González-Alonso, C. Hausswirth, O. Jay, J. K. W. Lee, N. Mitchell, G. P. Nassis, L. Nybo, B. M. Pluim, B. Roelands, M. N. Sawka, J. E. Wingo, J. D. Périard First published:6 May 2015

I reckon you should go do a hard training session today and show us how it does not affect your performance when you win tomorrow Very Happy

SANCHEZ

See excerpt from VAL Unfavourable Weather Policy;
In the case of extreme heat, temperatures forecasted at 38 Degrees Celsius or higher will render an event postponed, cancelled or have its program modified to periods or intervals where the temperature is below 38 degrees.
At present it is 41 degrees in Castlemaine, so the event could not be started. It is not dropping below 38 degrees until after 7pm, so there is no way there would have been enough time to run the meeting. As it was , it was apparently the decision of the organisers to not proceed, so the VAL had the decision taken out of their hands anyway.

fox

Not entered for tomorrow but max temp 39 at Castlemaine and 34 this afternoon, windy.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum