PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Massages available at Ballarat Gift
Today at 2:00 pm by floater

» Handicap anomalies
Today at 1:58 pm by Mex

» St Albans Gift
Today at 1:30 pm by untouchables

» Marion Gift Review - Tim Johnson's Breakthrough victory
Yesterday at 10:50 am by Admin

» Final timetable Ballarat Gift Feb 3rd and 4th
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:37 pm by floater

» Rye Women's Gift
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:39 pm by floater

» Castlemaine Gift
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 pm by Mex

» Frankston Results
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:42 pm by JH

» Rye Results
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 pm by JH

January 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Devon Allen at Devonport

Devon Allen at Devonport

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Devon Allen at Devonport on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:54 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
The last minute inclusion of Devon Allen into the Devonport 200m and the allocation of scratch has caused some consternation in pro running ranks. I'm not sure how it evolved about but it did appear to only happen within about 48 hours of the race.

Surely his entry could have been sorted at least a week before and allowed officials to amend the 200m handicaps.

At that late a notice, I don't think he should be allowed to compete against athletes who were forced to enter weeks in advance and who have been allocated a mark in relation the quality of the field. Devon Allen's inclusion dramatically changed the 'landscape' and effectively meant everyone else was running for 2nd.

Maybe they should have just have organised a backmarkers invitation to accommodate him or just put him into the invitation skins race.

Below is the article announcing he was running.

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/local-sport/us-olympic-finalist-devon-allen-to-light-up-devonport-carnival/news-story/64960379f6a6d487a32772bfa039f621

US Olympic finalist Devon Allen to light up Devonport Carnival

By BRETT STUBBS,
Mercury
December 28, 2017

A US Olympic finalist is a shock late entry for tomorrow’s Devonport Carnival and has already been dubbed the best male runner to compete at the event in 60 years.

Devon Allen finished fifth in the 110m hurdles in Rio last year and will contest the 200m at Devonport tomorrow.

The 23-year-old was the second fastest hurdler in 2016 thanks to his personal best of 13.13 seconds he ran to become US champion at the Olympic qualifiers.

He was also a dynamic wide receiver in American college football before a knee injury saw him focus on athletics.

“I am really looking forward to my visit to Tasmania, it is so far away from home. I hear it is a beautiful place,” Allen said.

“This will be my first time competing in handicap races. Maybe I can have some luck and maybe I can see a Tasmanian devil or even a Tasmanian tiger,” the Sports Business and Economic graduate said.

The Devonport Athletic Club went straight to their archives to begin comparing Allen to the previous names like Cathy Freeman, Jana Pittman, Craig Mottram, Tatiana Grigorieva competing in modern times.

“To have Devon run the Devonport 200m is absolutely fantastic. Devon being American Champion and 5th in the Rio Olympic finals is enormous for Devonport and the series as a whole,” club vice-president Rod Walker said.

“He is the best male runner to compete at Devonport since the 1950s when (1948 Olympic gold and dual silver medallist) Barney Ewell ran.

“To have such a world-class athlete run at our carnival we feel very privileged and it shows the carnival is still recognised as a major Australian athletic event. Devonport spectators will have to go a long way to see such an athlete of Devon’s class,” said Walker.

Allen’s 200m heats will start from 6.30pm.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

2 Re: Devon Allen at Devonport on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:04 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/5142703/us-champ-devon-allen-to-run-at-the-devonport-carnival/

US champ Devon Allen to run at the Devonport Carnival

By Alex Fair
The Advocate
28 December 2017

In a coup for the Devonport Athletic Club and the Christmas Carnivals Series organisers, American “dual sport phenomenon” Devon Allen  has been confirmed as a late entry for Saturday’s Devonport Carnival.

The 23-year-old, who was fifth in the 110m hurdles at the Rio Olympics,  will make a flying visit to the North-West Coast to contest the 200m at Devonport Oval.

"I am really looking forward to my visit to Tasmania, it is so far away from home,’’ Allen said on Thursday, who admitted to having very little knowledge of the professional running scene.

“This will be my first time competing in handicap races. Maybe I can have some luck and maybe I can see a Tasmanian Devil or even a Tasmanian Tiger.”

As well as his capabilities on the running track, he was once also regarded as one of the most dynamic and dangerous wide receivers when he played gridiron for the Oregon Ducks in the Pac-12 conference.

However, a knee injury in 2014, saw him turn his focus to athletics.  He won the 2016 US Championships, which booked his place on the US team for the Rio Olympics.  

He finished 2016 as the second-fastest sprint hurdler in the world thanks to his personal best of 13.03 as he became the US champion.

Allen’s participation is a major boost for the Devonport Carnival as it holds a one-day event this year. The carnival has previously hosted great athletic names as Cathy Freeman, Jana Pittman, Craig Mottram and  Tatiana Grigorieva  compete.

“To have Devon run the Devonport 200m is absolutely fantastic,’’ vice-president Rod Walker said.

“Devon being the American champion and fifth in the Rio Olympic finals is enormous for Devonport and the series as a whole.  

“He is the best male runner to compete at Devonport since the 1950’s when Barney Ewell ran. Ewell won a gold and two silver medals at the 1948 London Olympic Games.

“To have such a world class athlete run at our carnival we feel very privileged and shows the carnival is still recognised as a major Australian Athletic event.

“Devonport spectators would have to go a long way to see such an athlete of Devon’s class i(f it wasn’t for this).”

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum