PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Massages available at Ballarat Gift
Today at 2:00 pm by floater

» Handicap anomalies
Today at 1:58 pm by Mex

» St Albans Gift
Today at 1:30 pm by untouchables

» Marion Gift Review - Tim Johnson's Breakthrough victory
Yesterday at 10:50 am by Admin

» Final timetable Ballarat Gift Feb 3rd and 4th
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:37 pm by floater

» Rye Women's Gift
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:39 pm by floater

» Castlemaine Gift
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 pm by Mex

» Frankston Results
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:42 pm by JH

» Rye Results
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 pm by JH

January 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Jack Hale behind scratch for Burnie

Jack Hale behind scratch for Burnie

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Jack Hale behind scratch for Burnie on Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:34 pm

tasmanian

Jack Hale has been allocated 1m behind scratch for the Burnie Gift.
As the distance is 120m, does anyone think it unfair that a runner should begin behind scratch especially as the limit is 13m?

2 Re: Jack Hale behind scratch for Burnie on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:27 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
I think the 1.5m re-handicap for Hale for winning Latrobe was ridiculous. Given the difference in quality between Latrobe and Burnie, to put him a metre behind scratch at Burnie means he'll be just making up the numbers. I can only assume the 1.5m penalty is the standard. But in the context of a Burnie Gift it means Hale will have to do something that has not been done in the history of the event.

Had Jack Hale been allocated scratch, I don't think he could have won any way. But if he did join Josh Ross and Dean Capobianco as Burnie Gift victors off scratch, so be it. His performances at national level are not at the same level as either Ross or Cappo when they won the Burnie Gift off scratch.  So to put him a metre behind those athletes, is suggesting he's better than those national champions, which in my view, is a premature elevation of his status.

3 TAL need to be accountable on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:50 am

Discobull

Rant Time.

Before I start, this is purely driven from an unjust playing field point of view, the fact that a few of my athletes were at the receiving end of these poor decisions and they weren't the only ones, hurts them in the hip pocket, but I sent them all over there for race fitness leading to a big month ahead.

1. How the field didn't get a lift for Devon Allen with a pb of 20.6 (lets face it was a last minute inclusion after coming over to see Morgan Mitchell) receive a nice little $1800 and some great publicity. Next quickest athlete in the field has a pb of 21.56 (nathan riali). Now Allen covers 10m under 1 sec at top speed, so technically 10m quicker than the next fastest. next 2 backmarkers off 5m. The field should have received at least a 5m lift.

2. Women's 400m at Devonport. Now I understand there a sliding scale in a blanket lift for a 120m, but when the entire field gets lifted 13m for Morgan Mitchell, except two athletes "Liv Ryan" and “Fia Fighera" who only received 8m lift, wheres the logic, as Pauline Hansen says "Please Explain"

3. Jack Hale, now yes he's a draw card and nothing against Jack, but was he the only athlete running??? Yes he ran from behind scratch, given he should have technically been further behind the field, winning Latrobe (penalty) and but also breaking ceiling time, pulled 1.5 for the gift, nearest competitor 3.75. But unsuccessful in the gift like the rest of the backmarkers as headwind took there toll. But then gifted $1100 as a compensation in the backmarkers gift and not only had only was .5 closer to nearest handicapper (3.25) but was closer to the line. Now tell me if I am wrong but invitational marks are taken from heat or semi times run on the day. Liv Ryan definitely handicapped out of it.

Did i miss anything.????

4 Re: Jack Hale behind scratch for Burnie on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:18 pm

Hubbaup

Spot on with all three points Discobull. Field should have been lifted about five in the 200m for Allen. He was good to watch but had the field covered 50 out. Riali robbed for the first time over the Carnival.In the Jack Hale Benefit the marks were horrid. Liv had absolutely no chance of being anywhere near them at the finish. Would have been great to watch Hale and your boy pick her up with a metre to run. Isn’t that what an invitational event is all about. If they didn’t want her to win then don’t invite her to run and throw her a garbage mark. Great run again by your boy to make Hale somewhat earn it. Sophia and Liv no chance in Devonport 400m. I still can’t make sense of that Nonsense. I personally loved watching the Carnival races but the handicapping wouldn’t get you back down here in a hurry.Maddie flew the flag for the Vics along with Ash Whittaker in two fine performances off scratch in the final but the winner was a good thing off that mark. I wish there was a bookie there to relieve of some cash. Not sure if you were there Discobull but you should be proud of your teams results.

Last edited by Hubbaup on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Change of number of points)

5 Re: Jack Hale behind scratch for Burnie on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:33 pm

Discobull

Hey hubba. Thanks for support. Yes the ran very well and proud of all the athletes efforts. Transparency key and a far and just system would go along way. Devon ran very well, but let's be honest. Nathan walks away with one less sash and the opportunity to win the event twice due to promotion of the event. And $1000 less in his pocket. And that's just the 200m.

6 Re: Jack Hale behind scratch for Burnie on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:39 pm

nesp

In regards to the invitational race, I was disgusted with the way that was set up. How can one runner be handicapped to run 7.5mt slower than the winner. Pretty easy to have an even finish across the field... all athletes had run their guts out in the heats so the calcs were right there to produce a tight finish. For mine, I couldn't give a toss if Liv couldn't win the event... but to have her set up to embarrass her like that was a joke. The race was a farce and they should be ashamed of the way it was worked out. I had at least a dozen people in the stands speak to us afterwards, all saying the same thing. Just plain wrong. Never again.

7 Re: Jack Hale behind scratch for Burnie on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:04 pm

Baltimore Jack

nesp wrote:In regards to the invitational race, I was disgusted with the way that was set up. How can one runner be handicapped to run 7.5mt slower than the winner. Pretty easy to have an even finish across the field... all athletes had run their guts out in the heats so the calcs were right there to produce a tight finish. For mine, I couldn't give a toss if Liv couldn't win the event... but to have her set up to embarrass her like that was a joke. The race was a farce and they should be ashamed of the way it was worked out. I had at least a dozen people in the stands speak to us afterwards, all saying the same thing. Just plain wrong. Never again.

Nesp, I understand your girl was given an uncompetitive mark, and should have had more.
But the name of the race is INVITATIONAL BACKMARKERS.
You are invited to run. you don't have to take up the invite.
And it is a backmarkers. 16m is not a backmark, not even for a girl.
btw, what's happened to Liz this year? She's way off Stawell Gift form. 14.4 off 16? She should have broken 14 at least.
not having a go, just asking.

8 Re: Jack Hale behind scratch for Burnie on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:27 pm

nesp

It wasn't a backmarkers race... it was an invitational race. Just happened that the backies in the men's didn't make the final liv had the 5th fastest time overall after the gift
heats from a pretty tough mark. Unlucky not to have made the semis at least. Fact is she is about .15 off her stawell run in rpm. If you see the race you would know that the field passed her with 50mt to go.. hardly worth busting her arse off after that. Not many runners can come back 7.5mt in the gift, 3.25mt in the 70mt and 16mt in the 400mt and still be competitive as you expect her to be.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum