A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

March 2018

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Maiden Rosebery Gift for Brandon Clark at the 2017 Rosebery Carnival

Maiden Rosebery Gift for Brandon Clark at the 2017 Rosebery Carnival

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Maiden Rosebery Gift for Brandon Clark at the 2017 Rosebery Carnival

By Jarryd McGuane
The Advocate
17 December 2017

Starting off a mark of 8.75m, Clark clocked the fastest time of the day of 12.78 seconds in the final, with Gates taking second place in 12.93 off 6.5m and Jack Colgrave rounding out the podium with a time of 13.00 off 6.75m.

The 24-year-old said he felt Gates coming up beside him, but remained focused on getting to the finish line through maintaining his technique.

“Sometimes in Gift racing you need to keep an eye on what is happening around you and I could see the white coming hard,” Clark said.

“I had to stay consistent with my running through all the races, which I felt I did in the heat and semi-final before putting my best race together in the final.”

With victory in the final, Clark completed an undefeated day in Gift racing, winning his heat in a time of 13.37 and his semi-final in a time of 12.92.

Clark said a win at Richmond in the lead-up and his runs in the heat and semi-finals gave him confidence ahead of the final.

“I won a 70m race at Richmond a few weeks ago for my first ever win in these type of events and it was a great to get.

“Then I had a really good heat, which nice and easy before I had to work a lot harder in my semi-final.

“It was nice to take out of those races, but today’s final was always my main focus today and it was great to know I had more left in the tank.”

A long jumper by preference, Clark had been using running in the carnival events as a part of his training to improve his speed.

“I’m a long jumper and running is a part of the training, with more speed on the track equals more speed on the pits, so I am trying to get as much running as I can.”

Clark hoped he could hold onto his form through the remainder of his Tasmanian Christmas Carnival Series campaign, as he builds towards a goal of making the 2018 national long jump final.

“I will try to continue running well as I have committed to the all the carnivals, except for St Helens because I will be heading over to Perth around that time.

“Last year, I just missed out on the national long jump final by a couple of centimetres in one of tightest fields ever and I really want to crack a final in a Commonwealth Games year.”

Of the other notable runners in the field, 2016 Rosebery Gift champion Tim Potter and 2017 Burnie Gift winners Morgan Gaffney and Jorden Englund were knocked out at the semi-final stage.

120m Rosebery Gift FINAL
1 Brandon Clark 8.75m 12.78s $1,000
2 Edward Gates 6.50m 12.93s $200
3 Jack Colgrave 6.75m 13.00s $100
4 Alex Riddell 10.00m 13.04s $50
5 Cameron Cranfield 9.00m 13.31s $50
6 Luke Whitney 6.00m 13.32s $50

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum