PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Youngest ever winner of Noosa Gift is crowned

Youngest ever winner of Noosa Gift is crowned

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Youngest ever winner of Noosa Gift is crowned on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:45 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/youngest-ever-winner-of-noosa-gift-is-crowned/3275344/

Youngest ever winner of Noosa Gift is crowned

By Steele Moore
26th Nov 2017
Sunshine Coast Daily

ATHLETICS: Ipswich teenager Benjamin Thomas has become the youngest winner in Noosa Gift history after he thought he had no chance in the sprint race.

The 15-year-old stunned observers - and himself - when he hit the finish line ahead of Jarrod Whittaker and Patrick McCarthy.

"I couldn't believe it,” he said.

"I was the youngest person out there so I thought I wasn't in with a shot.

"The whole race just felt like the best race I've had in my whole life. I just got there and really wanted to do the best I could.”

The Ipswich and District Athletic Club member only started training in earnest this year, with the guidance of Vic Pascoe.

He stormed to the under-16 state all schools 100m and 200m titles with personal bests of 11.02sec and 22.36sec - and now has a Noosa Gift triumph to his name.

"I've always been quick but ... it's just been crazy over the last six months,” he said.

He's looking forward to a test or two at the Australian all schools championships in Adelaide next month.

"I'm really keen to get down there. It's under-18s so... it will be a good experience to race some older kids and try and get some good times.”

Thomas clocked 11.31 seconds, off 6.75m, to win the eighth edition of the Noosa Gift at Girraween Sports Complex.

He edged Whittaker (9.25m) by 0.10sec, with McCarthy (13.50m) just 0.03sec behind.

Samantha Stanley, who became the youngest winner of the Gift last year when she won aged 16, was fifth this time around with an extra 3.5m handicap at 14.5m.

Meanwhile, hometown backmarker Zane Branco finished sixth off 2.5m while local beach sprinter Conor Loughnaan was seventh off 6m.

McCarthy won the 70m dash, Stanley won the 300m gallop and Larissa Chambers won the 110m ladies' invitational. The carnival included many divisions and age groups.

Ipswich-based athletes won three of the four major events and the Noosa contingent is already expecting to mount an assault on the Ipswich Gift carnival next year.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

Mex

Imagine the uproar if someone won a gift in Vic or SA and was then rewarded with 3.5m more the next season. Or am I misreading the article?

NoosaGift

Just the journo who doesn't quite get what they are writing about......
Stanley went from 18m in 2016 victory and was pulled to 14.5m in the 2017 Noosa Gift.

http://www.thenoosagift.com

Mex

Thank goodness for that. Journalists do a great job for us, when they get it right.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum