PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » SAAL looking at "Claiming Races" - Win and you claim a lift for a bigger $$ race

SAAL looking at "Claiming Races" - Win and you claim a lift for a bigger $$ race

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

youngy

Admin
Admin
At a recent SAAL programming meeting, there was some concern raised about vulnerable races that fail to attract decent entries.

We had a discussion about 'lifts' available for winning certain races, similar to the VAL's concept with the automatic lifts for winning minor gifts.

The idea is that for those races that tend to lack entries and athletes are loathe to win because their eyeing off something of greater value, we offer an incentive to have a go at the minor race.

The sprint events (70m to 200m) attract reasonable entries and having them as non-penalty for the Bay Sheffield seems incentive enough. So the idea is to introduce the system to the circle events.

These races would be known as 'Claiming Races.' You win a Claiming Race and you are guaranteed a lift for a specific race.

For instance, the Sacred Heart 400m Open would be a Claiming Race for the Camden Classic. The Port Adelaide 550m would be a Claiming Race for the Bay Sheffield 550m. The Western District 300m and 1000m would be Claiming Races for the Loxton 300m & 1000m.

The idea is to introduce a number (maybe 6 to 8?) of Claiming Races this season and see how it goes.

I'm all for it and believe it would add another dimension to the season.

Anyone with any ideas or comments can contact the SAAL office or feel free to comment on Protrack.

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Im glad that the SAAL is thinking of ways to increase numbers at the smaller meetings.

My concern is that only 9 runners started in the 1000m at Loxton and 10 runners started in the 300m last season,We are having trouble getting athletes to travel.
If Bryce Watkins was to win the 1000m at Westerns and gets a substantial lift , what incentive is there for other athletes to travel knowing they couldnt beat Bryce at Westerns.
My idea would be to give all those athletes turning up and running at Westerns in the 1000m a substantial lift for Loxton, those that dont turn up and run, remain on the same mark, unless a doctors certificate is sighted and the winner at Westerns in non penalty until after Loxton.
Same could be put into place for the 300m.
This should get more athletes out to Westerns and maybe more numbers to Loxton.

Nittaz

Whispers wrote:Im glad that the SAAL is thinking of ways to increase numbers at the smaller meetings.

My concern is that only 9 runners started in the 1000m at Loxton and 10 runners started in the 300m last season,We are having trouble getting athletes to travel.
If Bryce Watkins was to win the 1000m at Westerns and gets a substantial lift , what incentive is there for other athletes to travel knowing they couldnt beat Bryce at Westerns.
My idea would be to give all those athletes turning up and running at Westerns in the 1000m a substantial lift for Loxton, those that dont turn up and run, remain on the same mark, unless a doctors certificate is sighted and the winner at Westerns in non penalty until after Loxton.
Same could be put into place for the 300m.
This should get more athletes out to Westerns and maybe more numbers to Loxton.

I think it's a great initiative to get more people running in the smaller events! However, i still think that knowing that the only a few runner's started in Loxton is more than just a travel issue? Surely it's also a participation issue? Surely focusing on getting more runner's into the sport is more important than making the current registered runners compete more?

I couldn't make this years AGM due to work, however to try and get a few more distance runner's into all events (not just the small events - Loxton is a big event) is an issue. Right now, there are not a lot of middle distance runner's entering events from 800 - 3200m full stop. The depth and interest just isn't quite there. Even now, a lot of runner's who I train with (young and old) aren't interested with registering with the SAAL. It's not that they don't like the product, it's just there are so many other products for them to choose. ASA events, Parkrun, SARRC, Trail Running SA and of course little A's (the calendar is condensed). We legitimately don't have many coaches who focus purely on distance running, besides Micky Buckler and Frank McHugh.

Perhaps a few education sessions about the pro running product to those organisations previously mentioned would go along way? Once one is in the sport, it's addictive and is usually for a decent time frame.

The oakbank cross country held about 2-3 weeks ago had thousands of talented juniors all in one areas. For the SAAL (and associated coaches) to grab even just 20-30 of them, and keep them involved would mean events like the Loxton 1000m would go back to having heats.... It's just a matter of trying to entice them, as currently, most don't even know the sport exists (or has distance events between sprint events).

However, perhaps the SAAL have received a lot of registrations this year and I don't know about it...

The Loxton 300m should have bulk entries.... I can't explain the low entries there last year.

Nitta

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Totally agree Nittaz, I think we need to educate more.
The alarm bells were sounding for me when on Feb 4th there was approx 70 athletes running a 800m down at Mile End yet next day at Camden we saw a Novice 800m go around with 7 runners.
I know the 400m races would have taken runners away but theres still quite a disparity which needs looking at.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum