PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

June 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Brian Taylor's train wreck interview with Leroy Burrell in 1991

Brian Taylor's train wreck interview with Leroy Burrell in 1991

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/06/13/13/10/collingwood-coach-nathan-buckley-slams-afl-journalist-for-fasolo-interview

Currently there is a controversy following an insensitive tweet, football journalist Mark Robinson posted about Collingwood's Alex Fasolo, who suffers from depression. Triple M & Ch.7 football commentator Brian Taylor heavily criticised Robinson and queried why Robinson hasn't been punished for his comment.

So Triple M gave Taylor a kindly reminder about his own, many, radio indiscretions by replaying a couple of his interviews from his 3UZ days. The radio interview with Leroy Burrell following the 1991 world championships is an absolute shocker.

I'll let Ch.9 to take up the matter....

Brian Taylor’s reputation as the most awkward performer in AFL media is well established, but even for him, recordings of his early radio days are bad.

Triple M footy on Saturday exposed some of the iconic footy broadcaster’s trainwreck interviews from his days as an early morning radio presenter in Melbourne with the now defunct 3UZ Radio.

The recordings, claimed by the Triple M’s Saturday Rub to have been sent to the radio station by a concerned citizen in tape deck form, show Taylor producing extreme levels of awkwardness in interviews with former Aussie motorbike stuntman Dar Davies and Olympic sprinting champion and former world’s fastest man Leroy Burrell.

Burrell won the silver medal in the men’s 100m at the 1992 Olympics and won the 100m relay with America at the same Barcelona Games.

The 1991 interviews go as bad as an interview possibly could and it left the Triple M Footy team of Wayne Carey, James Brayshaw and Damien Barrett in stitches.

BRIAN TAYLOR INTERVIEWS DAR DAVIES

Brian Taylor: Welcome back to 3UZ, the good sports. Australia’s internationally known stunt entertainer Dar Davies will make, would you believe it, 13 appearances as a feature attraction at this year’s Royal Melbourne Show, Dar is on the line now and… (after stumbling through part of the words) let’s go again.

Welcome back to 3UZ, the good sports. Well coming up shortly in the month of September in fact the Royal Melbourne Show begins. One of the feature attractions at this year’s Royal Melbourne Show will be stunt performer Dar Davies. Dar joins us on the line now, good morning to you Dar.

Dar Davies: Morning Brian.

BT: How are you today?

DD: Good thankyou.

BT: What about this situation… hello? Are you still there Dar?

DD: Yeah.

BT: The situation with the jumping side of things? What can we, if the conditions are right and once you’ve had a look at the situation if, if you do decide to jump, what can we expect you to jump over? What sort of distances are we talking and what sort of motorcycle are you using?

DD: Well for one we’re not doing bike jumping down here.

BT: What about the highwire then. What sort of dangers are involved in that?

DD: If you slip of the highwire, the highwire actually breaks and you’ll go to the ground and you’ll just about kill yourself for sure.

BT: Mmm. Well that’s obviously... well, yeah, well. I mean let’s hope that you don’t fall off. Dar what makes someone like yourself want to cross the highwire on a motorcycle knowing that if something did go wrong it’s a crash to the ground and either a very serious injury or death. What makes you want to do that?

DD: I don’t know I honestly don’t have an answer for you there.

BT: Well very interesting situation indeed. Dar, thanks very much for your time on the good sports this morning.

DD: Thanks a lot Brian.

BRIAN TAYLOR INTERVIEWS LEROY BURRELL

Brian Taylor: Well certainly we saw part of a great sporting moment the other day, the 100m sprint. We saw a world record and we saw I think five or six runners run under 10 seconds. One of the truly great sporing moments in the history of sport and especially in track and field sports if you know what I mean.

On the line now is one of the guys who was competing in that event and in fact one of the favourites, who eventually ran second, Leroy Burrell. Good morning to you Lerree (mispronouncing his last name).

Leroy Burrell: Good morning.

BT: Were you disappointed in your run Leroy?

LB: How could I be?

BT: Where do you think you could perhaps improve on that run?

LB: Definitely at the end. I didn’t stay as relaxed as I wanted to.

BT: Mmm, well, that’s obviously, mmm, yeah, well. Leroy you would have looked at this event as being your most important race of your career so far. Did you feel a great deal of extra pressure because of that?

LB: No.

BT: Erm. I don’t know how to put it. I mean, I find it hard to, if you know what I mean because in a way I do believe it, but yourself and Carl Lewis must in some way be, umm, errr, in some way sort of fight within yourselves, not verbally, but just mentally in your own bodies and just say, ‘Gee I desperately just want to beat that guy and how can I beat him’. I mean, you seem to have such a good friendship.

LB: It’s not. It’s not. I don’t know why you find it so hard to believe.

BT: OK, we’ve been speaking with the former world record holder of the 100m sprint. No. 1 sprinter in the world, Lerree, err, Leroy Burrell. He has just won silver at the world championships and I have no doubt he will become the next Carl Lewis of track and fields. Leroy, we appreciate your time here and again best of luck for the relay on Sunday.

LB: OK. Thankyou.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum