PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Brighton Open Gift
Today at 9:00 am by safrican

» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Today at 7:32 am by Admin

» Ararat Gift
Yesterday at 4:03 pm by GLPR

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Yesterday at 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Yesterday at 10:35 am by Admin

» Northcote Women’s winners handicap
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm by FortySevenThirty

» Northcote results
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:18 am by Todd Ireland

» Northcote Gift
Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:52 pm by untouchables

» Northcote Womens 100m
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:23 pm by Thatsthestats

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Grant Glassford

Grant Glassford

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Grant Glassford on Fri May 26, 2017 4:50 pm

mwebster

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Have just heard via the "grapevine" that Grant has just undergone a Heart Transplant in the last 48 hrs.

Hope all goes well and he has a speedy recovery.

2 Re: Grant Glassford on Tue May 30, 2017 3:38 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Thanks Matthew for the update.

I believe Grant is in the Alfred Hospital and will be for some time to recover from the surgery which enable him to receive a heart transplant. The operation was a success and so far things are going OK.

Although he's known to be a tough & determined bloke, I believe had Grant not received a heart transplant he may not have seen out the year, although an artificial heart may have been an option.

Grant's been off the pro running scene for about 20 years now, so for those who don't know, Grant won the 1980 Lavington Gift when it was one of the richest & most sought after gifts on the Australian pro running calendar. Off 9.75m, Grant ran 12.2 to beat Dave Tilburn (who went on to win the 1980 Bendigo 5000).

Grant was originally trained by Cyril 'Butch' Roberts before moving to dual Stawell Gift winner Barry Foley in the early 1980's.

Grant also won the Maryborough Gift in 1984, a race where SA's Al Green chased down the field after breaking. Green hesitated but there was no second gun, so Al took after the field but failed to catch Glassford and George McNeil who ran 2nd. Glassford also won the 70m that day giving him the Maryborough sprint double.

Grant won three heats of the Stawell Gift (1978, 1979 & 1984) when heat winners only made the semis. In two of those years, in the semi final he was beaten by eventual Stawell Gift winners - Steve Proudlock in 1978 and Paul Singleton in 1984.

Grant's best Stawell chance was 1979 where he became one of the favourites after being backed from 20/1 to 4/1 just prior to the heats. He ran a slick 12.2 before being beaten by Paul Elliott in the semi final.

He won a number of sprint races from 70m to 400m before taking up coaching in the late 1980's. I think he took over from Barry Foley. He trained his squad including his brother Brett (and me for a season  Very Happy ) at Maribyrnong Park for a few years in the 1990's. Among the winners he had as a coach, he trained Brett to win the 1988 Stawell backmarkers 400m and Grant Cope to win the fronties 400m at Stawell in consecutive years.

Brett Glassford was 3rd in the 1982 Stawell Gift won by Chris Perry and ended up a dual Lavington Gift winner, giving the Glassford brothers three Lavington Gift wins between them.

The reason I follow the great North Melbourne Kangaroos since about 1971 is a large part because of the Glassfords and in particular their late father Charlie who was a great pro running man himself. They're all North fans and I use to go around to their house in Combermere St Aberfeldie and learn all about the Shinboners. cheers

Hopefully everything goes well and he recovers to enjoy many more years of active life and at some stage......gets to see another North Melbourne premiership.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum