PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Keilor Gift NEWS in local papers

Keilor Gift NEWS in local papers

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Keilor Gift NEWS in local papers on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:40 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://brimbank-leader.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/all-going-to-plan-for-keilor-gift/

All going to plan for Keilor Gift

by PATRICK O'MEARA
Brimbank Leader
11th February 2011

ORGANISERS are finalising preparations for this Saturday’s Keilor Gift.

Despite smaller competitor numbers than last year Gift co-ordinator Barry Curley is tipping a successful event.

“It is all shaping up quite nicely,” Curley said.

“Entries are down a little on last year but they are still the highest that a Victorian Athletics League meeting will have outside of Stawell.”

Curley said a big crowd was anticipated, provided the weather stayed kind.

“It is a bit hard to tell at the moment, it (the weather) is obviously a bit up and down and un Leg 2 predictable,” he said. “But the long range forecast looks ideal, so hopefully it stays that way and we get a good crowd.”

Among the athletes to take to the starting line for the 2011 instalment of the Keilor Gift will be defending champion Cam Dunbar. He is likely to take on a strong field comprising interstate runners.

The Keilor Gift will also feature a card of other events and woodchopping.

The finals of the gift are set to start from 7pm.

Admission will be $7 for adults and $3 for pensioners and children.

Last edited by Admin on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

2 Re: Keilor Gift NEWS in local papers on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:43 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.brimbankweekly.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/keilor-gift-defender-in-peak-form/2076342.aspx

2010 Keilor Gift winner Cam Dunbar

Keilor Gift defender in peak form
BY HENRY PETERS
Brimbank Weekly
15 Feb, 2011

CAM Dunbar will have to overcome a 1.5-metre reduction to his handicap when he defends his Keilor Gift title this Saturday at the Keilor Recreation Reserve.
Dunbar will race as a middle marker from 7.5 metres this year, but said his form was peaking like it did 12 months ago.

"I'm training as well as I ever have been," Dunbar said.

Dunbar has enjoyed a solid start to 2011 with finals berths at Ringwood, Wangaratta and St Albans, but insists he is not the man to beat at Keilor.

"Last year probably most people expected me to win, but this year I'm not a standout favourite," Dunbar said.

"The field is evenly spread this year.

'You could probably throw up 10 to 15 [athletes who could win] this year, which is good for the competition."

Other contenders for the main race include Peninsula Gift runner-up Bros Kelly, NSW runner-up and 2009 winner Daniel Sammut and youngster Chris Diegan.

Diegan is in the midst of a purple patch after winning the 400-metre event at St Albans three weeks ago and achieving a rare double at Avondale Heights two weeks ago by claiming the Under-20 120-metre and Open 70-metre event.

"It's very rare when something like that happens," Keilor Gift committee member and past multiple gift winner Matthew Webster said.

Finalists will need to manage their bodies throughout Saturday with heats set to start almost six hours before the 8.45pm final.

"You need to make sure you're well hydrated, eat well to keep energy up and have a shower if it's a hot day," Dunbar said.

The women's 120-metre final, also known as the Billie Jo Petersen Memorial Race, will be run immediately before the Keilor Gift at about 8.35pm.

The race is a tribute to Petersen, who was a popular athlete and died suddenly in 2009 at the age of 26.

Two championship woodchopping events will also be staged between 7-7.30pm.

3 Re: Keilor Gift NEWS in local papers on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:55 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.starnewsgroup.com.au/star/keilor-taylors-lakes-sydenham/284/story/128464.html

Williamstown's Chris Diegan, in yellow,
wins the 70m open event at St Albans last month.

Gift Field to Shine
By Michael Esposito
Star News Keilor
15th February 2011

PREVIOUS champions and budding young stars are among a season-high list of entries for Saturday's Keilor Gift.

Ninety-five runners have entered for the prestigious race, making it the most popular race of the Victorian Athletics Season so far.

Among the entries are last year's winner Cam Dunbar and 2009 champion Daniel Sammut.

VAL starter Matthew Webster, who has an unsurpassed knowledge of the Keilor Gift's history, said there were more potential winners than starting blocks this year.

Mornington Peninsula's Bros Kelly will certainly be among the favourites, particularly as training partner Matt Carter, who won Peninsula and Maryborough gifts this season, decided not to enter.

Williamstown's Chris Diegan won the 120m and 70m open sprints at Avondale Heights on 5 February, and also won the 70m open at St Albans the week before. He is expected to feature prominently.

Werribee has this season been represented with distinction by three brothers – Christopher, Matthew and Shaun Hargreaves.

They have all nominated for the Keilor Gift

Matthew won the Woodside Gift late last year, but Webster prefers Shaun's chances.

Shaun has won open races ranging in distance from 70m to 550m this season, and will start off a kinder handicap of 6.25m.

There are also big wraps on East Bentleigh's Doug Greenough. His form is as good as it was last season, when he won the Rye and Ararat gifts and made the Stawell Gift final, but he will be running off a reduced handicap of 7m.

“I reckon he'll make the final. There are unofficial whispers he's good enough to win Stawell, but whether it's this year or next year I'm not too sure,” Webster said.

Greenough has not made a gift final this season but is steadily improving – as his sixth place in the Avondale Heights 120m open suggests.

And then there are the dark horses.

“My sleeper would be Josh Tiu,” Webster predicted. “ He's a young kid from Doncaster who trains with the powerful Nick Fiedler stable at Ringwood.

Tiu was a Stawell gift finalist last year, but jarred his knee in the semi-final, virtually eliminating his chances of winning the prestigious foot race.

“He could have won Stawell if he hadn't had that jarred knee,” Webster said.

Rye Gift winner Craig Rollinson, who trains under Wally Meechan, is considered a fighting chance, while two years ago winner Daniel Sammut, of NSW, is in good enough form to make the final.

The day's events will begin at 12.20pm with the 70m open heats, and conclude with the Keilor Gift at 8.45pm. Fireworks will follow the presentation.

The popular woodchopping events will be held in the main arena at 7pm.

Keilor Recreation Reserve will have a strong police presence to ensure the Gift remains a safe, enjoyable family event.

4 Re: Keilor Gift NEWS in local papers on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:07 pm

no way

There are also big wraps on East Bentleigh's Doug Greenough.
“I reckon he'll make the final. There are unofficial whispers he's good enough to win Stawell, but whether it's this year or next year I'm not too sure,” Webster said.

Webster added "And I see dead people too".

unoffical whispers????WTF

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum