PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Tough runners of the SAAL

Tough runners of the SAAL

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Tough runners of the SAAL on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:36 pm

Just reading the posts about C Ross on the 'hectorville' thread, and was looking at the mile field and thinking, yeah C ross has a handy mark, and I agree with Youngy, he should place pretty well. However, depending on how much he has been working and training will obviously need to be factored into this. My pick for the mile is Benny Crawford, because he is one of the most consistent runners going around 400 - 3200m.

I was thinking, for as long as I have run in the SAAL, Benny crawford would have to be one of the most consistent and hard working runners I've met in this league. So I reckon a good thread might be to look at those athletes who represent well everytime they put themselves on the track.

My top 3 (open) - Toughest runners currently in the SAAL would go something like this:

1. Benny Crawford
2. David Palmer
3. Bryce Watkins

Toughest 035's runner(s)

1. Timmy Jet Johnson
2. Ali Saliu

Toughest female(s)

1. Brigid Connolley
2. Ali Trewartha

All these athlete(s) are around the mark in almost every race they compete in, and have been around the mark for possibly the last 3 or 4 season(s). Anyone else have thoughts on the toughest runners in the SAAL?

2 Re: Tough runners of the SAAL on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:23 pm

nice try

Forget it Nitta, no one is going to name you as one of the toughest!

3 Re: Tough runners of the SAAL on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:45 pm

nice try wrote:Forget it Nitta, no one is going to name you as one of the toughest!

Gee, you ruined my grand masterplan 'nice try' .... jerk Exclamation

4 Re: Tough runners of the SAAL on Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:51 pm

NSB

Your three have nothing on

D Tippins
T Hassell
L & C Burckhardt - hope my spelling is right

Younger generation you would look at

Bateman
C Watkins

5 Re: Tough runners of the SAAL on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:33 pm

NSB wrote:Your three have nothing on

D Tippins
T Hassell
L & C Burckhardt - hope my spelling is right

Younger generation you would look at

Bateman
C Watkins

Good ones NSB:

I can definately confirm C burcky, he was an animal on the training and race track. Duncan was all class (Camden 08 still my favourite race to watch), and I don't remember Tom Hassell, but I've heard the stories.

Clay and Todd are all class aswell. I was just referring to current pro runners who are on track every week battling off their given mark, and are always consistent. However, Todd and Clay are both very consistent when they are on the pro track, but are always going to be around the mark in any race cause they're probably the 2 most talented athletes we have here in SA???

6 Re: Tough runners of the SAAL on Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:37 pm

Spike

Over 35's has to be Mark Bevridge the guy is a freak!

7 Re: Tough runners of the SAAL on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:24 pm

Costello

Nitta

How do you define 'Tough'. Is just like using the word 'Strong', or 'Fit'.

Tough for what? Beating yourself up on the training track, logging useless miles or showing 'mental toughness' to find something from within on the day to 'nut' out a decent performance under pressure. Or battling against your physical limitations, to demonstrate persistence/toughness and show progress.

I'm sick of people using the phrases, 'this athlete is so fit/strong/tough', it doesnt mean anything.

8 Tough Runners on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:46 pm

John LeRay

I think tough is mental approach for the big occasion.
I had a few over the last 20 years - Dave Smith, the Late great John Dawkins and a guy that did not run for long but was tough Jarrad Pudney. Took the marks and said 'watch this' - Best Girl was Alex Penhall nee Burr - won 400 m Stawell 2001 - had a baby and came back under Brendan Golden to win 70 M at the Bay - always dug deep.
Others - Warrick Bryant - unpredictable, a little bit crazy, ever tough - ran everything at Stawell one year except the 3200m - always knew what you were going to get. Already mentioned the Burchardts Bros. Tommy Hassel 70m to 1000m amazing. My evergreen is Dave Palmer - trains alone - tough as teak. One more for the old timers - Billy 'hooky' Neil won at Stawell at 39 or 40 yrs in open company.

9 Re: Tough runners of the SAAL on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:51 pm

Stephen Landers would have to be number 1. Winning 70m's through to 800m. Running while injured and always giving it a good shot.

Chris and Leon would definitely be up there.

10 Re: Tough runners of the SAAL on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:09 pm

Costello wrote:Nitta

How do you define 'Tough'. Is just like using the word 'Strong', or 'Fit'.

Tough for what? Beating yourself up on the training track, logging useless miles or showing 'mental toughness' to find something from within on the day to 'nut' out a decent performance under pressure. Or battling against your physical limitations, to demonstrate persistence/toughness and show progress.

I'm sick of people using the phrases, 'this athlete is so fit/strong/tough', it doesnt mean anything.

tough (tf)
adj. tough·er, tough·est
1. Able to withstand great strain without tearing or breaking; strong and resilient:
So to the cynic who would like to argue any topic placed on a forum! The reason I brought up crawf being a 'tough' runner, simply because every time I see him on the track he place everything on the line every single time, and seems like a hard athlete to crack when racing against him. Everyone else who is reading this thread seems to understand the term 'tough', if you have an issue with it, don't contribute, start your own thread using alternative terminology!

ps: steve landers is a fantastic choice. I remember seeing him race for the first time at Whyalla - where he won the open 800m and then the 400m later that night. Awesome toughness costello, awesome!

11 On tough on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:20 pm

John LeRay

I did not mention Benny Crawf in my previous as he is a given - agree with Landers though - always laid it on the line.

12 Re: Tough runners of the SAAL on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:56 pm

Vic Boy

Interesting thread.

I rate the 550 as generally an event for the tough athletes (possibily with the 2010 Bay 550 being an exeption being decided on handicap IMHO).

At Prahran last Friday we saw a battle royale between 2 of the VALs "tough" lads in Coote and Hoskins. Neither are over endowed with pace or technical prowess but they fight tooth and nail to the line off relatively tight marks and there was nothing in it. Great racing.

13 Re: Tough runners of the SAAL on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:17 pm

Riddler

For me, toughness is few and far between when it comes to sprinters, the race is simply too short to show their 'toughness'. When it comes to 400m to 800m, Crawford is a good choice, wouldnt go past the man that just posted on here, Boden, speaking about a guy that gives it his all. Killmier would also be a candidate, bloke gives it his all everytime I see him.

Girls = Connolly, cant go past her. A few spring to mind but dont compare to her.

Debbie Roberts is also one that has the mental toughness and great character, slugs it out off a tough mark week in week out, im sure admin will agree. True character too hold off those backmarkers.

14 Re: Tough runners of the SAAL on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:23 pm

Enough

Enough said..

Mark Beveridge
Steve Wilson

15 Re: Tough runners of the SAAL on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:37 pm

christopher_ross

Vic Boy......

Every race is decided by handicap u idiot.... otherwise it would b amateurs....

I think you know who:)

Also:-
Agree with above...
Ben Crawford
James Boden
Robert Killmier
Stephen Landers

16 Re: Tough runners of the SAAL on Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:26 am

robbie j

Tough is getting out of your comfort zone the short sprints cannot be counted in this. Sally Pearson is a great athlete you could see she gave every race her all in the 100, 200 and hurdles. What made her tough though was her leg of the 4 by 4 team in the comm games. Thats getting out of the comfort zone and a definition of tough to me.

Morgan Coull
Tommy Hassel
Tim Johnson
Hayden Cook
Mark Beveridge
Duncan Tippens

Bridgid Connelly
Abbey Dunn
Andrea Di Paolo

17 Re: Tough runners of the SAAL on Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:54 am

I reckon 'vic boy' has a point about the 550m, it's one of those events where the distance guys come down and the sprinters go up, so there are some cracking races over that distance!

When I first started running pros, Hayden Cook was the toughest and most dominant runner for a number of years. He won races, came back and kept winning, over any distance from 300 through to the mile. Hoping he can get back to that previous form, cause he always seemed to be a finalist in any distance from 300m.

Tim Johnson may be an exception to the sprinters rule. I think almost every meet (if the schedule allows) he competes in, he'll run a open 120m heat, walk back past the colours tent, grab the red, run off scratch in the 035's, sneak through to their final. Take a 5 minute gap at most, go and get set for the semi of the open 120m, give all the youngens a run for their money, sneak through a open final, then walk back, grab that red again and chase all the vets down all the way to the line......then somehow will still run well in the open final! Every now any then after or during that, he'll run a vets 300/400 of borderline scratch aswell. Tim Jet Johnson is tough as nails!

18 Re: Tough runners of the SAAL on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:47 am

Bumble Bee Man

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Steve Landers has to be the toughest by far. He throws everything he has into every race he runs in.

Enough said! He takes the cake!

19 Re: Tough runners of the SAAL on Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:02 pm

Hayden Cook

Thanks for the plug Nitta...

From the time I have been running there is 1 guy who gave his lunch up after every race and thats Steve Geraffa. The 1st time I raced him was the Stawell 800m final in 2002, he had won the backmarkers mile on the Saturday in a tight finish and on the Monday won the 800m from 20m?? hitting the lead with about 200m to go and putting everything out there for the win.

That same weekend on the Sunday in the 500m Chris Burckhardt showed what he is known for winning of 10m in 1.10 with do it before thinking attitude towards the pain barrier!

Other honorable mentions must go to Michael Hane, Dale Englar

Haydos

20 Re: Tough runners of the SAAL on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:09 pm

Vic Boy

Come on Chris. I got a collect on you with the bookie so all good. Just felt you were a good runner off a very good mark. Thats not your issue though as we all run off the marks we get. You have two Bay sashes, so Congrats & all power to you. Winners are grinners and we'll have another crack next time. Maybe have a run down here on our turf. Wink

21 Re: Tough runners of the SAAL on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:56 pm

christopher_ross

Vic Boy... i'd love to come and run some races in Vic, but i barely get out to SA ones!!

I have never been to a Stawell event before, but I will try to book in for next year and apply for leave early enough to get it:) Would be great to see and experience the atmosphere at such a large meet!

22 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:32 am

Toughguy

One guy not mentioned is Cammo. Always out hard early in those 400m/550m races and always made you work all the way to the finish even in the heats. Was consistently in finals over these distances for a number of years.

The tank Troano was another who was never beaten over the longer sprints for a couple of years.

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

24 Re: Tough runners of the SAAL on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:07 pm

Colley

Shane MacKenzie was tough.

25 Crawfs on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:19 pm

Crawfs

Thanks for the plug Nitta, got my own nominations though. Not Being bias but Dave Smith would have to be up there, a guy who I looked up to alot when I first joined Flaggy's Stable. Was Talented and always ran of tight marks never complained about them and holds the impressive record of 10 straight Bay 550m finals, never won one but has several placeings to his name. lost his lunch on a number of occasions trying though.
Has a Camden 400m win to his name and made a number of finals there probably much like Leon Burkys. I know of atleast 1 placeing at stawell in the 550m second only to Tom Hassell.
In more recent times and cant believe he has not been mentioned yet is Lion Heart him self Matt Ferber.
B C Very Happy

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum