PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Yesterday at 9:43 pm by Willo the Whisp

» VRTA AGM
Yesterday at 12:25 pm by JH

» Mullewa Gift (WCAL) Saturday 26th August 2017
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:54 pm by justheshot

» PITLOCHRY HIGHLAND GAMES
Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:37 am by JH

» A National Handicapping System
Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:03 pm by Fast

» Star athlete Michael Brusnahan jailed over horrific ‘coward’ kick to man’s head
Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:18 pm by Admin

» Blairgowrie (Scotland)
Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:39 pm by JH

» Mulgowie Gift (QAL) RESULTS - Saturday 2nd Sept 2017
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:36 am by Admin

» Ipswich Winter Carnival RESULTS 2017 (QAL)
Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:36 am by Admin

September 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Can someone explain?

Can someone explain?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Can someone explain? on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:46 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/west-beaches/drug-conviction-in-2015-now-adelaide-runner-who-is-a-twotime-bay-sheffield-finalist-is-banned/news-story/0c08087485b5ecf4ea1e327e0c3249f0?nk=d23c7301abb51c92e036eab9e8985199-1485162497

Can someone explain why such a soft penalty has been imposed?

ASADA sanctions clearly state 2 years for possession/attempted use.

Having won the 70m at Stawell after his arrest, will this be stripped and given to the second place getter?

Im confused why ban normally given for such an offence isnt being handed down here. It should be 2 years from his last race or game of football.

Im just very curious

2 Re: Can someone explain? on Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:17 pm

Mex

Definitely opens a can of worms. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I am not sure that they will award the win to Sarah Blizzard but who knows. A bit like Jobe Watson I guess.

3 Re: Can someone explain? on Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:58 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
People should read the article properly before jumping to conclusions.

The athlete concerned had not run for 2 years at the time of the offence. He had not registered as an athlete for the previous season nor was he a registered athlete at the time. He had far greater issues to deal with than athletics. He was suffering from a number of private issues which I can't disclose too much about but rest assured he was under severe duress to admit to something he had nothing to do with.

I had stopped coaching him in early 2013 because he stopped training. We had discussed where he was at in his life. He had some personal battles that needed urgent attention and athletics was the furthest thing from his mind. When he was in a 'better place' he resumed with me and the squad in mid 2015 - I had no idea about this matter until a fortnight ago.

Since then I've been learning all about what happened, how it happened and why it happened.

I am satisfied there was no connection nor nexus between the offence and any athletic results/performance.

There was absolutely no reason nor opportunity to engage in taking drugs. To this day he doesn't know what was in the vials found in that room and has absolutely no knowledge of anything related to PEDs. I would say there are dozens of people in this sport who would know far more about PEDs than Tom does.

ASADA looked into it and found the athlete was not a registered athlete, hadn't been registered in the previous season and had not competed for nearly 2 years. They chose not to pursue it. They closed their book on it a long time ago.

The only organisation that has taken action is the SAAL. I have vehemently opposed their sanction - which it to not accept his registration for 2016/2017.

In relation to Stawell 2016, I would say quite confidently there would not have been a cleaner athlete for the simple reason he had this matter hanging over him and would have been a perfect subject to be target tested. The fact ASADA never bothered to attend any event he competed in whether it be SAAL, ASA or the VAL is fairly evident there was no case to answer.  

One last point - I find it bloody insulting if anyone would think I need to have a guy on drugs to get  him to win a race in a handicap sport. Over the last 20 years I've had athletes improve greater and perform better than this bloke has. He was a pretty good junior running 11.14sec for the 100m as an 18yo. Natural progression and he has become a handy runner off the mid range marks. There's nothing remarkable about anything he's done.

If for one second I was suspicious, there might be some modicum of steroid use, he 'd be out the door tomorrow. I'm more disappointed how this has played out, especially how it has been pursued by a few people who have an 'agenda other than the good of the sport.

We are currently looking at all avenues to allow him to compete again.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

4 Re: Can someone explain? on Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:40 am

So has never been tested. So theres no actual proof of any innocence.

So isnt banned for 2 years on a loop hole? If he had of registered for the entire 15/16 season he would be serving a 2 year ban and would not have been allowed to run at stawell let alone win the 70m.

I would love to see when ASADA investigated. Before Stawell is going to be my guess.

Youngy surely you can see the can of worms this can open up.

So the reality is any athlete who wants to win a big race can just gear up at the end of a season and wait a year and win. And can just claim but yeah i wasnt registered last year.

As we have seen in the past ignorance and being niave are not acceptable defences. You miss 3 tests you get two years, teat positive two years, posession 2 years, attempted use 2 years. But because your guy doesnt fill out a form atthe start of the season you want to protest any ban he receives.

This is crazy.

5 Re: Can someone explain? on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:47 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
I have no desire to debate the issue, but I will address this:

"So the reality is any athlete who wants to win a big race can just gear up at the end of a season and wait a year and win. And can just claim but yeah i wasnt registered last year."

We have no idea what drugs a person would or could use that allow them to be a better athlete 2 years later after not being a registered athlete.

The individual was suffering from mental health issues, was on anti-depressants, not training and not intending to compete so it is absolutely ridiculous and fanciful to suggest anyone who is being treated for mental health problems would consider using PEDs because if he does decide to run it will help win a 'big race' some time in the future.

What moron takes PEDs when you are not training?

And ultimately this is a handicap sport.......there's a number of easier ways of attaining an advantage over say a two year window than taking PEDs.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

6 Re: Can someone explain? on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:11 pm

So he wins a race at Stawell with no training. But is found 6months earlier in posession of steroids. Very interesting.

A sad story and a box of tissues shouldnt be enough to escape the mandatory 2 year ban that this offence usually carries.

Would your feelings be the same Payl if your athlete had of ran 2nd?

7 Re: Can someone explain? on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:32 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
07 wrote:So he wins a race at Stawell with no training. But is found 6months earlier in posession of steroids. Very interesting.

A sad story and a box of tissues shouldnt be enough to escape the mandatory 2 year ban that this offence usually carries.

Would your feelings be the same Payl if your athlete had of ran 2nd?

Wins with no training? Six months later? That's bulldust. You have distorted the dates and the facts to suit your agenda. So it's pointless discussing it.

PS
As a consequence of the deliberate distortion of the truth, 07's been banned for a while. He's had a fair go but obviously he's not interested in the details.

I'll answer questions, but prefer not to respond to someone who makes ridiculous comments to push a certain agenda.

PPS
Just got off the phone to another coach who was staggered that this has become an issue. As he said ASADA would have been all over this in late 2015 and if they had an issue with it should have done something - either test him or prevent him from competing. The fact he was allowed to run during 2015/2016 says that ASADA didn't think it was an issue worth pursuing. The coach's view is that this is more about someone reacting to his Stawell 70m win and had he not won, no-one would have made it the issue it is now. He makes the valid point - you cannot allow the athlete to compete, hoping he runs poorly and then react once he wins something. If you allow him to run then that's it end of story.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum