PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

June 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » VRTA voted award leaders?

VRTA voted award leaders?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 VRTA voted award leaders? on Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:44 pm

Mex

We are not quite half way through the season but I thought it may be fun to look at potential VRTA awards winners so far. Obviously we can only look at the voted categories rather than the points awards. Some may be a little hard to judge this early. I have included interstate athletes at the moment but I am pretty sure they will not be VRTA members. I am also only looking at performances in Victoria. What do we think about each category?

Athlete of the Year
Joel Bee – winning races from very tight marks, multiple winner already and looks set to win some more.

Coach of the Year
Difficult one to judge at this stage but I like what some coaches have been able to do with their athletes and vast improvements. Nick Fiedler comes to mind with Kardakovski. I thought he was a rank and file athlete to coin a phrase used by our chief steward. Well done Nick.

Emerging Talent
Matt Rizzo – while he won this award last year I think he should be right in it again this year. Very nice looking runner. Mason Keast has improved a lot as well. Time will tell there. Rauch and Sonsini would also be in the discussion.

Male Performance of the Year
Hard to go past a back marker winning in multiple races so Joel Bee must surely be leading this category so far? Could you consider Dunmall at Terang off a very tight mark? Marantelli did it easy in the 3200 at Warrnambool and the 1600m at Northcote so he is also in the mix. He has turned into one of our best distance athletes. Bee for me.

Female Performance of the Year
Elly Graf- it is rare that a female athlete wins an open gift race. A few of the better quality female athletes have shown that if they get themselves right they can be thereabouts in the open gift races. A decent handicap helps as well.

Masters Performance of the Year
I have a three way tie here with Simon Jackson, Shane Ezard and Arron Downes. All won in convincing fashion this season. Jackson destroying Maryborough, Ezard at Northcote and Downes at Castlemaine. Each could be considered better than the other but I would not like to split them so far. I like Ezard for the way he moved around the track but Jackson won a classic. Phelan unlucky.

Junior Performance of the Year
I must admit that I cannot remember what the age limit for a junior athlete is. Last year Ryan McNamara won this award so it must be Under 20? That puts Rizzo in the mix. Rauch at Castlemaine, Farmer at Maryborough. Probably too hard to call at this stage.

Meeting of the Year
With a few meetings pulling the pin early in the season Northcote led the way with large numbers, quality fields and good early prize money. Castlemaine’s return was excellent again with good prize money and quality fields. While Rye hasn’t been run yet the numbers are high. Too early to call.

I do not get to every meet so am relying on what I hear as well as what I see. What did I miss?

2 Re: VRTA voted award leaders? on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:03 pm

Mex

We have moved slightly further through the season so why not have another look at the voted awards? Let's see what we think about them now.

Athlete - no change for me here. I think that winning off tight marks should be what we recognise where possible. Sometimes there is a feel good story but the quality will win out here. Bee holds on.

Coach - no change here for me either. Fielder has got more out of Kardakovski and with Kasey Moore winning back to back women's gifts puts him out in front for me. JH could lay a claim with a number of sashes. His squad must be leading the sash count so far this year. Who is next?

Emerging - no change again. I cannot see anyone taking this from Rizzo. He is so good that he has allegedly been told not to run. I think he is the stand out.

Male Performance - Tough one here. Bee in the conversation. What have we liked? Rizzo - Yep. Repulast - Yep. Sonsini - Yep. Downes - Yep. Mara - Yep. I want to be a fly on the wall for this one.

Female Performance - I had Graf, what about Molica at Stonnington? Moore was good but she had a big mark compared to some of the others. Rauch? Hendersen for Ballarat? No, Talia Martin for her win at Geelong. Word has it she flew down the inside and off a tight mark too. Martin for me.

Masters Performance - The previous still stands but does the entire season count as a performance. If so then Dunbar must be considered. He has made multiple big gift finals. Ezard and Downes unlucky to miss out.

Junior Performance - I back in Talia Martin here as well. What is the age limit for this? Keely Hendersen in this discussion if still young enough. Either of them over Rauch and Rizzo now?

Meeting - I still like Northcote for the early season vote. Mid season I think Ballarat and Wangaratta in that order and late season so far I think Stonnington. Northcote provided all athletes with a great starting opportunity and produced great results and good prize money, Ballarat dropped prize money slightly in the men's gift but their innovation was fantastic and running of the meet first class. Wangaratta didn't have the entries of Ballarat but this has the potential to grow back into one of the very best race meets on the calendar. Stonnington continues to provide athletes with a quality sash to win. Flip a coin here, I have my favourite but would be happy with any of these. Each of the remaining carnivals has a chance to take the award too.

Have i missed the obvious? Or have you been somewhere I haven't?

3 Re: VRTA voted award leaders? on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:25 pm

Thatsthestats

Gotta disagree with you Mex on Coach of the Year. I've got Todd Ireland in front of Nick Fiedler. Ireland , Henry , Mair and Pod would all have Double figure sash counts wouldn't they? I don't know Nicks Sash count but I'm tipping it's about ten with a lot bigger squad then Ireland Henry and Mair. JH and POD would be leading the count. Maybe people can post their squads Sash count to give us a better idea. A lot may change at the business end of the season.

4 Re: VRTA voted award leaders? on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:57 pm

FortySevenThirty

Not sure that Matt Rizzo can Emerge twice can he ? He won it last year and I think there may be higher accolades awaiting him this year. If he meets the criteria I think Matt Burleigh may be a front runner for this award.

5 Re: VRTA voted award leaders? on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:32 pm

BMara

Mex, can't argue with most of your thoughts, but meeting of the year.......Have you missed Castlemaine.. Sensational effort by DN to get the meeting off the ground again. Good trac, prizemoney was terrific and the heat winner's prizes a very nice touch.
From an officials point of view, on a very hot day, the zooper doopers were a vote grabber from me.

6 Re: VRTA voted award leaders? on Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:39 pm

Mex

Coach - Are we looking for improvement in athletes? I guess that Ireland has improved his young athletes and the older ones have picked up wins as well. Good call. JH still quite strong. James could have won many a sash this season but left it to Bee. Mair not bad as well although he has allegedly been questioned a few times regarding his athletes so maybe not with the others. Fiedler is in the mix but agree maybe not the top now. Beer has a good little squad too and should be in the discussion.

Emerging - No Rizzo? Sure. Burleigh is a good one. Seems that Ireland has done a good job in managing him and a young Sonsini. See above for trainer as these guys probably get him close.

Meeting - I agree Mara that Castlemaine was very good and produced quick times in nearly every event. Was it as good as some of the others? Quite possibly. Definitely in the mix. I had it in the early post. Now that we have seen Ballarat and Stonnington where does it rank? Returning to Castlemaine was great and never underestimate the power of a dooper zooper.

Great discussion.

Last edited by Mex on Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

7 Re: VRTA voted award leaders? on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:21 am

timrosen35

My thoughts on the categories Mex posted above

Athlete of the Year - Nathan Riali. Has been in almost every gift final. Including winning Rye. Consistently the best back marker in the VAL each week. Probably needs another win to seal the deal though.

Coach of the Year - Throw a blanket over quite a few. Will reserve judgement till after the final month

Emerging Talent - Assuming Rizz can't win it again, I will go with either Sonsini or Burleigh. Both had very good seasons.

Male Performance - I just can't go past that Rizzo 70 at Rye. Jaw dropping. Other possible for me is Procca's 400 at Ballarat.

Female Performance - Keely Henderson winning Ballarat after already winning Stonnington previously and going back was exceptional. Domaschenz from the back of the field on the weekend was very good too.

Masters Performance - Absolute No Brainer here. Simon Jackson. Winning a classic gift as a vet! And won it convincingly too. Sorry Leigh...your castlemaine vets win was good but not that good Wink

Meeting - Castlemaine or Maryborough. Castlemaine was exceptionally well run. One of the best tracks. Good money. And I love the heat winners getting a little something/overall winners getting a trophy as well as the sash. Well done Darryl. Maryborough is a personal favourite so had to add it in. I still think Geelong has potential to be the winner of this award every single year.

8 Re: VRTA voted award leaders? on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:08 pm

Hipster Doofus

VRTA awards are a load of shit, well the voted awards anyway as the voting panel whether they like it or not can't put aside their personal agendas.

Seems they've been paying catch up for years and feel as though they need to share one particular award around, talk about PC out of control.

As our chief steward has been saying for years....... VRTA equals toothless tiger who puts on an awards night and they can't even get voted awards right!

9 Re: VRTA voted award leaders? on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:10 pm

Hipster Doofus

BMara wrote:Mex, can't argue with most of your thoughts, but meeting of the year.......Have you missed Castlemaine.. Sensational effort by DN to get the meeting off the ground again. Good trac,  prizemoney was terrific and the heat winner's prizes a very nice touch.
From an officials point of view, on a very hot day, the zooper doopers were a vote grabber from me.

Mara get back to sucking on your zooper dooper as opposed to Dazza's arse!

10 Re: VRTA voted award leaders? on Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:59 am

BMara

Hipster Doofus wrote:
BMara wrote:Mex, can't argue with most of your thoughts, but meeting of the year.......Have you missed Castlemaine.. Sensational effort by DN to get the meeting off the ground again. Good trac,  prizemoney was terrific and the heat winner's prizes a very nice touch.

Mara get back to sucking on your zooper dooper as opposed to Dazza's arse!

Hipster....Calm down, and bring some money to Bendigo, you may need to pay a fine.
....Possibly the worst Pseudonym on the forum

11 Re: VRTA voted award leaders? on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:37 pm

vetsunite

Agree HD the awards are never a true reflection

12 Re: VRTA voted award leaders? on Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Mex

Without stealing someone's thunder from the VRTA. The issue comes down to who is a member and then who is worthy.

I also think that be discussing them on a site like this we are providing an insight into what we liked throughout the season. So instead of trying to make a mockery out of these awards, how about we mention which athletes we fell deserve them. We know that the VRTA reps contribute to this site from time to time let's give them our perspective.

The only thing I would like, if possible, would be a brief description of why each category was nominated and why the winner was chosen. Then again, I watch the Brownlow every year and I have no idea why some players get votes and others do not. We just accept it. Like Shane Watson winning the Border medal right?

13 Re: VRTA voted award leaders? on Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:23 pm

Mex

Downesy there are some good starting points here.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum