PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Maryborough Women's Gift

Maryborough Women's Gift

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Maryborough Women's Gift on Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:08 pm

Slowcoach

An absolute disgrace that the 2017 Maryborough women’s gift is $1,500 when the men's is $15,000. That’s right, 10 times higher!!

There were rumblings of discontent last year, but in this day and age, for the disparity of this magnitude to continue is unacceptable

Perhaps the girls should show their disapproval by boycotting the event? Maybe then the people in charge might come to their senses.

2 Re: Maryborough Women's Gift on Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:01 am

Ribera

Expert
Expert
Maybe the men should boycott Castlemaine 400m where the women run for $4000 and the men $1000. Very Happy

People need to be grateful for what they have and applaud the great range of events for females at Maryborough. If you boycott Maryborough then the $1500 on offer this year may turn into $0 next year.
Parity between the mens and womens gift was offered at Warrnambool with both being worth $1500. 10 women turned out. Less numbers than the 2 mile !!
That is hardly going to encourage the organisers to up their game. Last year Maryborough had more runners in the novice 120m than the womens 120m.

Parity is slowly seeping in to other events. Big numbers will help force the tide of change. Boycotting will help its demise.

3 Re: Maryborough Women's Gift on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:26 am

Fast

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
The prize money disparity at Maryborough is unfortunate and has increased this year, while most other meets have moved or are moving to equal prize money for Men and Women the gap between the Men’s and Women's Maryborough Gifts has actually increased this year.

A better and more positive outcome this year would have been to put the extra $3,000 into the women's gift rather than the men's and begin to close the gap rather than increase it. Or better still just split the $16,500 and hold two $8,250 equal Gifts.

If you take the Bay Shef entries this year you can clearly see the support from the Women when prize money parity is on offer..... 169 Gift runners (88 open, 81 women).

I don’t agree with a boycott but the reality is the girls are not going to support or treat Maryborough as a priority or a must attend meeting when looking at the prizemoney disparity and comparing it to other meetings offering parity.

4 Re: Maryborough Women's Gift on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
The Maryborough Gift is a time honoured event dating back to the 1860's, that the Maryborough Highland Committee can easily attract a decent sponsor for. It has prestige and history - to an era when the first Melbourne Cup was run.

The Maryborough Gift carries the carnival therefore carries the bulk of the prizemoney.

With good prizemoney races falling by the wayside in recent years like Woodside, Albury an this year Keilor, just be thankful that Maryborough has remained strong.

There's plenty of opportunities for women to win decent prizemoney in many events throughout the pro running season.

If you think it is disgrace - go get a $15000 sponsor for the women's race. I'm sure the hard working volunteers at Maryborough would be most appreciative.

5 Re: Maryborough Women's Gift on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:37 am

Ribera

Expert
Expert
The Bay Sheff argument is not a strong one. They had the numbers when there wasn't parity. 78 entries in the womens 120m last year when the prizemoney was 1/2 of this year.
My point is get the numbers strong and force the position of the event committees.

6 Re: Maryborough Women's Gift on Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:01 pm

DizzyRunner

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
What about the prizemoney disparity between the 1600m Womens/Masters ($700) and the 120m Women ($1500)? An utter disgrace.
Surely for justice to prevail the best thing to do is to add the $ together, $2200, and then divide it between the 2 races.

Those arguing for prizemoney parity should be arguing for prize money parity for everyone, otherwise it just looks self-serving.

7 Re: Maryborough Women's Gift on Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:28 pm

Ribera

Expert
Expert
Dizzy, tongue in cheek or not, this is a male/female equality topic. In this day and age worth discussing.
To answer your suggestion, the distance females are not excluded from entering the female 120m just as distance males are not excluded from entering open gifts. That fact that they are too slow to be competitive off the limit is just the gene pool sorting things out.

The disparity of money offered between sprints and distance is another worthy topic.

8 Re: Maryborough Women's Gift on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 pm

Mex

A boycott? How ridiculous to even suggest that. Maryborough is a time honoured gift. Boycott away, my girl will happily win there.

Ribera makes a very good point that parity is a big part of the VAL over recent years and it will continue to grow as our participants numbers do as well. Some of the bigger gifts are not available for everyone and I do not have a problem with that. There are good races available for everyone. The incentive program may have hurt the plodders out in front a little in a gift but by and large there is something for everyone.

I would like to see the sport continue to grow and we are doing that with increased junior numbers and female athletes. The older runners seem to hold up the sport though with big numbers every week. How about we continue to spread the good word about our sport and the opportunities for everyone and continue to work on parity. Same prize money, same limits? As an example Stonnington has the same prize money on offer but a 2m difference in limit. Stawell has a different limit too. Why not the same?

9 Re: Maryborough Women's Gift on Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:27 pm

Slowcoach

Not disputing that Maryborough is a time honoured gift, nor that it's easy to find sponsors, but with other sports pushing for female participation, our sport will die unless we can encourage junior girls to stay involved in the sport.

While most clubs are embracing the parity issue, Maryborough has made no effort. Now I am not saying that both gifts should have the same prize money, but there needs to be a change to the current 10 to 1 ratio. No reasonable person would say that is fair.

In response to comments made earlier:

Castlemaine also has a Men’s 120m gift worth $4000, the Women’s $1,000

Only 20 men competed in the Warrnambool gift

I personally disagree that the Maryborough gift carries the carnival. As with most meetings its the whole package that makes the event.

10 Re: Maryborough Women's Gift on Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:15 am

Fast

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Ribera wrote:The Bay Sheff argument is not a strong one. They had the numbers when there wasn't parity. 78 entries in the womens 120m last year when the prizemoney was 1/2 of this year.
My point is get the numbers strong and force the position of the event committees.

I think it is a reasonably strong argument, the limit this year for the Bay Sheff Women's Gift is 12m it was much bigger last year.

Good quality and time honoured meetings with good prize money attract good entries. Maryborough is a time honoured meeting but will it attract a good quality and quantity of women entries, I doubt it. Are the Women going to come from interstate?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum