PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ararat Results
Today at 8:42 pm by JH

» Ararat Gift
Yesterday at 10:56 pm by timrosen35

» Multiple NAPS lead to anything?
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 am by DDog

» Pro running right on track
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am by youngy

» Brighton Open Gift
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 am by safrican

» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 am by Admin

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 am by Admin

» Northcote Women’s winners handicap
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm by FortySevenThirty

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Conor Loughnan aiming to win Stawell Gift after Fastest Man on Sand success

Conor Loughnan aiming to win Stawell Gift after Fastest Man on Sand success

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/local-sport/kurrawa-surf-club-member-conor-loughan-aiming-to-win-stawell-gift-after-fastest-man-on-sand-success/news-story/3e6a18e7126337098ce309e4b9e81de3

Conor Loughnan and Bree Masters won the men’s and women’s open beach sprints in Round 1 of the Fastest Man on Sand series at Kurrawa Surf Club. Picture: RICHARD GOSLING

Kurrawa Surf Club member Conor Loughnan aiming to win Stawell Gift after Fastest Man on Sand success

By Connor O’Brien,
Gold Coast Bulletin
October 31, 2016

KURRAWA “satellite squad” member Conor Loughnan yesterday won the beach sprint event in the Fastest Man on Sand series opener.

In less than six months, he wants to conquer the prestigious Stawell Gift.

“The main goal is the Stawell Gift, I’m training for that,” Loughnan said.

He has had four attempts at the famous Victorian race but is still chasing a maiden ­victory.

Despite living on the Sunshine Coast, he has represented Kurrawa since January and yesterday continued his race preparations by taking victory on his club’s home sand.

Making his effort all the more remarkable was the fact he had only three days of training under his belt, having been struck down by the flu for much of the past month.

Loughnan admitted: “I couldn’t go to training because I would just have coughing fits.”

Making it a doubly satisfying day for Kurrawa, club member Bree Masters backed up her success at the world titles in the Netherlands last month by taking out the women’s open beach sprint. It was a welcome result after she stumbled in a sprint final at Alexandra Headland last weekend.

“I tripped over in the sprint final and ended up coming last … (this time around) was a nice little recovery,” she said.

Damien Tutt and Elizabeth Forsyth struck back for Currumbin Surf Club by taking victories in the afternoon open beach flags while Masters backed up her morning win with a second place.

The next Fastest Man on Sand event is at Mooloolaba on November 12 before the series finale at Coolangatta on December 3.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

Mex

Conor ran off 7.25m last year and ran 12.37 in his heat. He has to come back to 12.45, so that would make him 6.5m or 6.75m depending on how generous Goldy is with the rounding. Will he be tightened further? I would bring him in slightly to maybe 6.25m and see if he makes the trip down to pinch a bonus lift. I do not think that you could really bring him any tighter although he is interstate and therefore an OGA runner. 6.25m and a win at a pre christmas event gives him 7.25m unless I am misinterpreting the bonus and OGA status.

youngy

Admin
Admin
Good on Conor for putting it out there and not shying away from discussing his goals.

I can recall an athlete back in 1990 at the Rye Gift carnival (bloody hell; is it really 26 year ago?) visiting from Perth. He had just watched his stablemate win the Rye Gift and he was interviewed by the late Frank Brown for the now defunct Sunday Observer.

In the article the athlete boldly declared that he had come over for a look at the VAL scene and would be back for Easter to win the Stawell Gift.

Many of us just laughed it off as a throw-away line. We thought that it was a brash statement.

"Yeah no worries mate, we all want to win Stawell."

What an idiot, so we thought.........

Three months later - he did exactly that.

Yep, the article was quoting Dean Capobianco.

Frontie

Mex wrote:Conor ran off 7.25m last year and ran 12.37 in his heat. He has to come back to 12.45, so that would make him 6.5m or 6.75m depending on how generous Goldy is with the rounding. Will he be tightened further? I would bring him in slightly to maybe 6.25m and see if he makes the trip down to pinch a bonus lift. I do not think that you could really bring him any tighter although he is interstate and therefore an OGA runner. 6.25m and a win at a pre christmas event gives him 7.25m unless I am misinterpreting the bonus and OGA status.

What is the go with that Stawell lift? Seems like bait being thrown out by the handicapper. Would interstate athletes simply be OGA and discretionary regardless of the potential Stawell lift? Would this mean that the handicapper had the discretion to not give the Stawell lift to interstate athletes?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum