PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Yesterday at 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » VAL Calendar

VAL Calendar

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 VAL Calendar on Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:07 pm

Phantom

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
With the season only 2 weeks away from commencement, is there any chance the VAL might help out the athletes and actually put up the full calendar details so runners can plan out their season? When you don't know what events are being conducted and what the prizemoney is, it makes it pretty hard to plan training, etc.

2 Re: VAL Calendar on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:47 pm

Boomba

More meeting events available to view now but not all.

Very exciting to see the Wangaratta Gift and Women's 120m significantly increase in prizemoney. There is a good balance of events available for all categories of runners with some increases in some of those races too.

There have been some great improvements at this meeting in recent years. The re-configuration of the the sprint track and new lights for a twilight meeting have improved the carnival atmosphere.

It is always a highlight of the season to compete at Wangaratta over the Australia day weekend - looking forward to the 2017 installment.

3 Re: VAL Calendar on Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:18 pm

Baltimore Jack

Anyone know what the Sandringham noms are like and when will marks be out?

4 Re: VAL Calendar on Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:15 pm

Mex

BJ the entries are online already, I would imagine that the marks will be released on Monday.

I agree with Boomba, Wangaratta is definitely one to chase with the increase in prize money. I had mentioned this race as one that old timers or young runners with links to the past have always held in high regard. While there is a number of races before then I am looking forward to the spectacle. An 18m limit still listed which could leave it open for Wally to pinch his own event.

Other interesting things as I see it are that there are still some meetings without entries attached to them. In the good old days we received a booklet, when we registered, for entries and you sent off your cheque and were done before the season started. Oh the good ole days. For the young ones, a cheque was a piece of paper with a special signature that actually counted as money. You didn't have to tap it, just post it and you were done.

Maryborough, Ballarat and Stawell are three majors that we would like to see early on. I am sure that the likes of Yarra Ranges have their events set with entries attached, must be a computer issue in getting them up.

It seems that Ringwood has increased the prize money on offer across a few events with $4.5K now for the 400m. Very good effort.

Am I reading correctly that there is now a Women's 70m at Stawell? Will they be handicapped from scratch? Can you run in both 70m races?

Geelong Gift has dropped the prize money in the Gift but equal with the Women's. Equality is a good thing, how do the limits fit within this? Should it be the same limit? I also wonder if there should be some form of incentive for the Women's sprints like the open for Stawell. Same $, same limit, same incentive. I would like to see that.

I am a little confused that there is now now date for Ararat. Has it been moved or is there a problem with the ground availability? A quick message would be great to help with planning.

Northcote has separated all Women's/Master's races to be stand alone events. I like this one too.

Bendigo has a $3K women's 400m to go with the $2K womens sprint. Definitely one to watch, might make a good poll if someone wanted to put one up Wink

The 3200m seems to be dying a slow, horrible death as well with only the poorly supported Warrnambool and Stawell listed as having one at this stage. The 1600m seems to be the race of choice for those who like to hear multiple bells when they run.

This season does seem to have something for everyone.

Have I missed anything?

5 Re: VAL Calendar on Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:58 pm

BMara

Hello Mex
RE, 3200m events
The Victorian Cross Country League are sponsoring 2 milers at Castlemaine $1000 and Yarra Ranges $1000. The VCCL are looking at the possiblities of adding an extra 3200 later in the year, maybe Ararat could be an option now that it has moved to 25th March. (although haven't spoken to them as yet)
Also Ballarat normally have a 3200m event, not sure if so for 2016/17.

6 Re: VAL Calendar on Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:29 pm

Ribera

Expert
Expert
Great work by the VCCL to keep this classic distance alive. Now it is the distance runners turn to come out in numbers. Something they have failed to do in recent seasons.

7 Re: VAL Calendar on Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:38 pm

Mex

Ribera wrote:Great work by the VCCL to keep this classic distance alive. Now it is the distance runners turn to come out in numbers. Something they have failed to do in recent seasons.

I agree, the runners will determine the 3200m success this season. Great news Mara, it was just an observation of the information present at this stage. $1000 is good money for each of them, hopefully this sees a resurgence in its popularity.

8 Re: VAL Calendar on Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:17 am

Ribera

Expert
Expert
The VAL website still does not have information on events and prizemoney for Ballarat, Avondale Heights & Yarra Ranges. Does anyone have this information that can post it on here?
Hard to believe we used to get this information in an entry booklet in September each year. Now in this advance electronic age we do not have it in December.

On a positive note, great to see some clubs timetables posted under their event page. This assists athletes in managing their entries and in turn will provide stronger fields on the day.

9 Re: VAL Calendar on Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:32 pm

DizzyRunner

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Ribera,
the tail does not wag the dog.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum