PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

June 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Sally Pearson enjoys self-coaching

Sally Pearson enjoys self-coaching

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Sally Pearson enjoys self-coaching on Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:17 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/10/06/sally-pearson-enjoys-self-coaching

Sally Pearson enjoys self-coaching

AAP
SBS.com.au
6th October 2016

Sally Pearson hasn't ruled out the prospect of chasing another Olympic medal at the 2020 Tokyo Games (AAP)

Sally Pearson is surprised how much she is enjoying the challenge of coaching herself.

The Olympic and world 100m hurdles champion parted ways with Ash Mahoney in August - the third time in three years she had made a change.

Pearson was unable to defend her Olympic title in Rio due to a hamstring injury, but is now looking forward to next year's world championships in London, the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games and perhaps even further.

"I'm just so happy to be back training, I've got a really good head on my shoulders at the moment," Pearson told AAP.

"I'm in a really good space. I'm confident, I'm happy, I'm excited by the sport and by competing again."

Pearson won every major title her sport had to offer under the tutelage of long-time coach Sharon Hannan, before the partnership dissolved in late 2013.

Former training partner Antony Drinkwater-Newman and Mahoney then both had a stint at the helm, before the 30-year-old Pearson decided she was ready to take full charge of her own career.

"I never take what a coach does for granted but while I'm not finding it easy, it's not as hard as I thought it would be to write the sessions down for myself," she told AAP at the Women in Sport Awards.

"I'm the one who knows my body the best, and I know what I can handle and what I can't handle.

"You can have a fight in your head when you are doing the sessions, like 'I hate my coach, I can't believe she's doing this to me.'

"Then as the coach you're like "oh well, I have to do it, I've got to write this down, and get these sessions down,' so you play games with yourself."

The dual Olympic medallist and 2011 world champion has not ruled out the prospect of remaining in the sport through to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

"I'll definitely go to the (2018) Commonwealth Games and I would love the idea of going to another Olympics," she said.

"I'll be 34, not that that's old in athletics. It can be a good age.

"A lot of the hurdlers have been in their mid 30s when they achieved great things."

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

2 Re: Sally Pearson enjoys self-coaching on Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:21 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/sally-pearson-back-training-under-a-new-coach--herself/news-story/849fe2ad38f1e46addd8445aec5233b2

Sally Pearson back training under a new coach — herself

Hurdler Sally Pearson missed the Rio Olympics through injury but is now back in training. Picture: Getty Images

By Nicole Jeffery
The Australian
October 7, 2016

Former Olympic champion Sally Pearson could be back racing ­before the end of the year, recovered from the hamstring ­injury that robbed her of the chance to defend her Olympic title in Rio in August.

As the 30-year-old sat at home watching the Games, and American Brianna Rollins succeed her as the Olympic 100m hurdles champion, Pearson made the momentous decision to start coaching herself.

Since splitting with her long-term coach Sharon Hannan in 2013, Pearson has had two short-term stints with coaches Antony Drinkwater-Newman and Ash Mahoney, but she announced in late August that she intended to take control of her own career.

She has now been back ­training for about 10 weeks and said she found the process of coaching herself “invigorating’’.

“I just started off really slowly, like twice a week, then three times a week and building every single week until just recently when I really stepped up my game this week,” Pearson said yesterday.

“I thought it was time to get stuck in to the hard work — longer runs, high volume — and I’m enjoying it, it’s going well. I’m feeling positive, I’m feeling happy.’’

She is so happy that she would not rule out racing early in the domestic season, before Christmas, something she hasn’t done for years.

“It depends on my body,’’ she said. I want to race, I hate missing out on racing at all and I’ve missed out on so much in the last two years (due to a broken wrist and a succession of hamstring injuries) that my body needs to feel what racing is like again.

“I’m probably not going to start off the best but I have to build through that. I know when I get to my best, that I’m going to be the best and that’s what I’m looking forward to, running to my potential and I feel that I have so much more to give.’’

After she was forced out of the Olympic team, Pearson at first decided not to watch the Games, but to her own surprise she found she enjoyed watching the athletics competition.

“I actually did watch, I wasn’t going to but then I thought, I have to, my teammates are ­competing and I just wanted to support them from the other side of the world,’’ she said.

“I really enjoyed it, although I missed the hurdles heats because I set my alarm for the wrong time.’’

She did see the final where Rollins dominated in 12.48sec, slower than Pearson’s winning time from London.

That gave the Australian some confidence that she could get back on terms with the world’s best.

Pearson said she was looking only as far as her home Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast in 2018, but would not rule out a run at another Olympics in 2020, when she will be 33.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum