PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » R.I.P 1955 Stawell Gift winner John O'Donnell

R.I.P 1955 Stawell Gift winner John O'Donnell

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 R.I.P 1955 Stawell Gift winner John O'Donnell on Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:50 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
Just reading the Footy Almanac this morning - sad to hear the passing of 1955 Stawell Gift winner John O'Donnell. Good man John - at Stawell each year you could find him standing on the mound adjacent to the main grandstand. Below is the excerpt from the Almanac including funeral details.

http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/some-sad-news/

The Almanac community has been saddened by the passing of John O'Donnell, who died suddenly last Saturday at the age of 83. We knew JOD through his son Dips whose rich writings are centred on his family and sport. The two most prominent characters in his heartfelt yarns have been his daughter Kate and his Dad. We got to know JOD even more when he was the guest at our Stawell Gift dinner last year and told us the story of winning the famous race in 1955. His wife Mary and all six of his children were at that dinner, which was memorable - especially for the O'Donnell family.

Thanks to all those who left a greeting for Dips and his family on our site.

JOD's funeral (which is certain to be quite a day) will be held at 11am on Monday (25 July) St Francis Xavier Catholic Church, Mayona Road, Montmorency. Our thoughts are with Dips and his family.

mwebster

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Sad to hear the passing of John O'Donnell.

My father Keith, was a training partner of Johnny during his career under the tutelage of Jim West and they both came from neighboring suburbs of Preston (John) and West Heidelberg (Keith) and they mainly trained at the Brunswick Street Ground which was the home ground of the Fitzroy Football Club.

The stories from both of them and from "Westy" when he was alive, were mesmerizing from what they did over the years to achieve the goals that they set themselves.

John had a "dip" at the 1954 Gift but was run out in the Semi's.

The caliber of the 1955 Final was huge with the likes of Les Stock & Stan Rath in the mix, but this time, he was ready off the 8 3/4 yards mark.

Also, not long after the Final, Johnny lined up in the Final of the Park Handicap (now the Bill Howard Hcp) and won that event becoming the first to do so at the Stawell Gift meet.

Condolences goes out to his wife Mary and the family (6 children and many grand children)

jknott123

john was a great bloke my accountant for many years and lots of fond memories with him on the great ocean relays in the eighties, as well as always catching up at stawell.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum