PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Maiden Rosebery Gift for Brandon Clark at the 2017 Rosebery Carnival
Today at 10:32 am by Admin

» Ararat Results
Yesterday at 9:57 am by SANCHEZ

» Ararat Gift
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:56 pm by timrosen35

» Multiple NAPS lead to anything?
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 am by DDog

» Pro running right on track
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am by youngy

» Brighton Open Gift
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 am by safrican

» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 am by Admin

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 am by Admin

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » SAAL award night

SAAL award night

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 SAAL award night on Mon May 09, 2016 5:36 pm

apex

There are a lot of post about the VAL awards, but what about the SAAL awards? Who do we think will win male and female sprinter of the year?

2 Re: SAAL award night on Tue May 10, 2016 10:16 am

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Hi apex

Just so we dont confuse the issue, its the Short Sprint which is for distances 70m to 200m in OPEN and Novice races, Predominantly won by a Male athlete but guess a Female could win it but think I would have a better chance to win the Stawell Gift.
Womens Sprint is for athletes in 70m to 400m in Women events.
So you have asked for an opinion . heres mine
Open Short Sprint ....Richards, had a real purple patch in the middle of the season.
Womens Sprint...Jury, reckon she may have tipped the scales in her favour with a double at Loxton.
The way the points system is allocated for the Womans Sprint,ie 70m to 400m it is possible that an athlete may only need to compete in two meetings for the year , get two doubles and win the award.Would certainly not seem right if an athlete , cashed in on the cheaper rego after Christmas and then won a couple of doubles and waltz away with the award.Nothing un toward the winner this season whatsoever but maybe , now we have more female athletes competing its time to have a Womens short Sprint and a Womens long Sprint after all on quite a few occassions this season the Womens sprint numbers were more than the Open.

Now for the guessing game for the voted Awards

ATHLETE OF THE YEAR.......Sam Osmond... how can you not win the Bay Sheff and not get this Award, especially when theres some other tidy results as well.
COACH OF THE YEAR......Has to be the BIRDMAN ..Two biggest races in the State going to this Coach as well as several others.Only his reasonable low profile will go against him.
And if theres a Meeting of the Season , McKinnon Parade/Pultney must come in for consideration.Always a battling meeting , by being the final one of the season , the prizemoney on offer would almost tip the scales their way.

So there you go apex , whats your two bobs worth.

3 Re: SAAL award night on Tue May 10, 2016 11:05 am

The Morphy Mongrel

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Whispers wrote:Hi apex

Just so we dont confuse the issue, its the Short Sprint which is for  distances 70m to 200m in OPEN and Novice races, Predominantly won by a Male athlete but guess a Female could win it but think I would have a better chance to win the Stawell Gift.
Womens Sprint is for athletes in 70m to 400m in Women events.
So you have asked for an opinion . heres mine  
Open  Short Sprint ....Richards, had a real purple patch in the middle of the season.
Womens Sprint...Jury, reckon she may have tipped the scales in her favour with a double at Loxton.
The way the points system is allocated for the Womans Sprint,ie 70m to 400m it is possible that an athlete may only need to compete in two meetings for the year , get two doubles and win the award.Would certainly not seem right if an athlete , cashed in on the cheaper rego after Christmas and then won a couple of doubles and waltz away with the award.Nothing un toward the winner this season whatsoever but maybe , now we have more female athletes competing its time to have a Womens short Sprint and a Womens long Sprint after all on quite a few occassions this season the Womens sprint numbers were more than the Open.

Now for the guessing game for the voted Awards

ATHLETE OF THE YEAR.......Sam Osmond... how can you not win the Bay Sheff and not get this Award, especially when theres some other tidy results as well.
COACH OF THE YEAR......Has to be the BIRDMAN ..Two biggest races in the State going to this Coach as well as several others.Only his reasonable low profile will go against him.
And if theres a Meeting of the Season , McKinnon Parade/Pultney must come in for consideration.Always a battling meeting , by being the final one of the season , the prizemoney on offer would almost tip the scales their way.

So there you go apex , whats your two bobs worth.

how can you not win the Bay Shef and not get this award? Is this a serious question?
Pretty easy I think.  be consistent through a whole season and not just one day in December.
Lucky for Osmond he did win other races so he must be in the running. But one race does not make a season.

4 Re: SAAL award night on Tue May 10, 2016 12:01 pm

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Hey Morph
, sorry if its upset you that much , but think your boy will be in the mix but may just fall short.

5 Re: SAAL award night on Tue May 10, 2016 1:05 pm

The Morphy Mongrel

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
I'm not upset.
Just highlighting the illogical.

I don't really care. I won't be at the awards night.

6 Re: SAAL award night on Tue May 10, 2016 1:50 pm

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
I suppose my wording wasnt quite correct.
But in a Season where we had athletes who won several races such as Baird, Abdul, Richards,Johnson and Osmond, the Bay Sheff even off a good peg is maybe what tips the balance.
The AWARD is decided by a panel of judges so it boils down to who votes for who and no one is aware until the night which way they have gone.
For me theres only four that can win B Richards, C Watkins and S Osmond and dont leave out Buckley , to win a double at the Bay is a pretty good feat.
Too bad you arent coming Sat night Morph , I was looking forward to having a frothie with you.

7 Re: SAAL award night on Tue May 10, 2016 10:02 pm

Nittaz

I would be surprised if Stangerz doesn't win Male athlete of the year. The man came 2nd in the 550m Bay, Won the Camden Classic, think he won a few others races at smaller meet and featured on the podium in multiple gifts and other long sprints (including R/Up in the Loxton gift).... I think he was the most consistent throughout the whole year... Sam Osmond was probably the most impressive in the first half of the season by a gap....

8 Re: SAAL award night on Wed May 11, 2016 8:07 am

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Hi Nittaz

Not sure if there is a Male Athlete of the Year
Stangerz will certainly get votes but wont be enough.

21. END-OF-SEASON AWARDS
21.1 Points-based Awards
At the completion of the S.A.A.L. Season, ten awards will be presented
according to S.A.A.L. race results throughout the season.
4 points will be allocated for a win, 2 points for a 2nd
placing and 1 point for a3rd
placing.
Invitation and consolation races will not be included in these awards, with the
exception of the Bay Sheffield Selected 1600 metres Backmarker’s Race.
If two or more athletes are allocated the same points for the same award,
whichever runner has the most wins will be given the award. If the amount of
wins is equal, more than one award will be presented.
For points allocated to the club and novice club awards, the club will be
determined by which club is nominated on each runner’s registration form
unless the League Office is otherwise notified in writing pursuant to Rule
15.2. Members of the club must train at the same venue.
For combined races, separate points will be allocated to each category for
individual awards but not for club awards.
The categories will be:
Short Sprint – 0-200 metres in Open and Novice races.
Long Sprint – 201-600 metres in Open and Novice races.
Middle Distance – over 601 metres in Open and Novice races.
Women’s Sprint – 0-400 metres in Women’s races.
Women’s Distance – over 401 metres in Women’s races.
Under 20 – Under 20 races.
Under 17 – Under 17 races.
Under 14 – Under 14 races.
Over 35 – Over 35 races.
Over 45 – Over 45 races
Novice Club – Under 14, Under 17 and Novice races.
Club – Open, Women, Under 20, Over 35 and Over 45 races.
21.2. Voted Awards
A voting panel of officials will determine the Coach of the Season and the
Athlete of the Season. This panel is to be made up of the Handicappers,
Chief Steward, starting panel and Chief Racecallers.
Each member of the officials’ panel will choose six coaches and six athletes
and rank them from 1 through to 6, with 6 points for the 1st
choice, 5 points for2nd
, 4 points for 3rd
, 3 points for 4th
, 2 points for 5th
and 1 point for 6th
If a dead heat occurs, more than one award will be presented.
The Athlete of the Season will be presented with the Mort Daly Medal.
The President may also present a President’s Award for outstanding
performances during the season.

9 Re: SAAL award night on Wed May 11, 2016 10:29 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
Astute observation by Nitta.

I know at least one of the voting panel members who had Jake Stangewitz very high on the list. Smile

10 Re: SAAL award night on Wed May 11, 2016 3:34 pm

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
I think Jake may have been placed or won in distances from 120m to 550m but when it comes to point allocation you will find that he will miss out in each individual Category.
Richards had a blinder in the 70m events and banked plenty of points , Kane got the points early on the board in the longer sprint and Watkins with 4 wins and 2 seconds should waltz away with the distance.
Thats what makes the Athlete of the Year so interesting, it can be won by an athlete who spreads themselves over multiple distances like Jake but I will expect he will go home empty handed.
In trying to assess who the panel will vote for I have Watkins getting 6 points from the distance handicapper and may be a few more from others for getting back off the mat for his win at Loxton.
But overall Im still reckoning , winning the Bay Sheff will sit well with the Starting Panel and RaceCallers.

11 Re: SAAL award night on Sun May 15, 2016 11:43 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
SAAL Awards

Under 14 Athlete: Hunter Window

Under 17 Athlete: Chelsea Holmes

Under 20 Athlete: Lachlan Burrows

Sprinter: Brett Richards

Long Sprint (201 to 600): Robert Kane

Distance: Corey Watkins

Female Sprint: Katie Jury