PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » The Talia Martin injustice inspires.

The Talia Martin injustice inspires.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The Talia Martin injustice inspires. on Fri May 06, 2016 2:20 pm

Fast

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
The Talia Martin injustice inspires.

Talia Martin did not improve 7 metres she only improved 2.9 metres.

The class rooms of Victorian Schools are studying the injustice of this year’s Women’s Stawell Gift.

The Talia Martin injustice inspires VCE English students.

Ballarat High School student Ashley Gercovich scores 95 % in VCE SAC exam for her account of putting herself in Talia Martins Shoes.

By Ashley Gercovich

I stand here today, all 40 kilograms of me, having to not only deal with the extreme physical demands of having just won the Stawell Gift, but now I find myself the victim of heartless accusations. I have been drawn into an emotional roller coaster, and feel I have been labelled as a cheat, certainly something that a 15 year old should never have to deal with. This conflict may have divided the athletic community but it has united our members of the POD squad. My coach, My mentor, has stood beside me every step of the way and for that I will be eternally grateful. Hello everyone, my name is Talia Martin and I feel the need to defend my position, as many accusations have been given to me via numerous media outlets.

In my mind I have been labelled as a cheat, Michael Gleeson reports that my “improvement over 2 weeks, is more than most athletes expect in a lifetime”. The Age reports “extraordinary improvement”, “lack of integrity”,” manipulating the handicap”, “many have decried the win as a sting”. WOW these are fairly harsh words, which I find extremely hurtful, yet no one can prove that I broke any rules! Why? Because I did not break any rules! If I did not break any rules, then why burden me with these negative comments?

I did not improve 7 metres as falsely quoted by the Chief Victorian Athletic League Steward, I in fact only improved 2.9 metres from my run in the Ballarat Gift in February. I was also 4th in the Geelong Gift the week before Ararat Gift and 5th in the State Championships the week after the Ararat Gift and that was the week before Stawell. I competed every weekend from October to the Easter Stawell Gift. I was very fit and strong from all the competition and training.

I am a 15-year-old girl, who looks up to, and admires my coach, and his capabilities to train many successful athletes. I have worked tirelessly for the past few years to be the best that I can be. I have trained exclusively for these events and to win the Stawell Gift, will be one of my most treasured memories. Unfortunately these memories will always be soured, by the controversy surrounding my win.

Let me deal with the accusations one by one. First of all, my slow run at Ararat. Much of the controversy stems from this poor run that I ran two weeks earlier. Yes, I was mourning the death of my beloved Aunt (who was heavily involved in my athletic career), but no one bothered to report, that on this day, there was a very strong head wind, which at 40 kilograms, added to my poor performance. If you could imagine throwing a paper plane through the air and then throwing it again on a day when there is a 4-kilometer head wind, would it travel in as fast of a time? NO, so for a fragile 15 year old girl, who has just lost her aunt, and was mentally and physically drained at the time, you most certainly would not expect to run well. Under no circumstances did I purposely “run slow” to boost my chances of a favourable handicap, handicaps had already been set for the Stawell Gift. Rules state that we must submit our personal best times, which we did, so once again, I did not break any rules.

As reported in The Age “she hadn’t done anything illegal as far as her handicap goes. The only reason she could be pulled back in her handicap, as if she had run a personal best somewhere that we didn’t know about, and she hadn’t done that, she had just run poorly” So I state my case, I have not done anything illegal, I did not break any rules, so I am disappointed that I have been placed in the media in this manner, and that the shine has been taken off my victory. If it weren’t for the inundated support of my team, I wouldn’t have been able to face, the divisiveness of my critics.

Now let’s focus our attention onto second place getter, Tierra Exum. Isn’t it funny how no-one seemed to report that Tierra, also improved significantly, running 5 metres faster than her previous race in Keilor. Was this because she got second, or is it because she is the twin sister of famous basketballer Dante Exum? In fact, there were dozens of runners at Stawell who improved at least 4 metres from their previous performances, this 4 metre improvement is deemed under the ‘extreme improvement’ category, according to the Victorian Athletic League. The same category in which I am positioned. This calls for a change in the rules, not the labelling of me as a cheat.

The conditions at Stawell were favourable for my smaller frame, and I had somewhat overcome the death of my aunt. I ran for her at Stawell. I ran with all my heart and soul, and it worked. I ran the race of my life! Have I been targeted by others, who are jealous at the fact that my coach and mentor, has now won three in a row? Have they came up with their own conclusions as to why he has been successful enough to have multiple winners every year and that “he must have cheated” take a look at what you’re saying. Majority of you do not train once, sometimes twice a day, you do not know me, you know nothing about the dedication, sweat and tears that go into this squad, you sit back on the couch and judge because it’s not you that is successful, not your son or daughter this time round, it’s someone else.

I have paid the fine, for acting under the guidance of my coach, who had been accused of manipulating the system by trying to beat the handicapper. Isn’t that the idea of handicap races? To gain the best possible handicap? The Melbourne cup is another such example. Why run with 70kgs on your back, when you qualify for 60kgs. Professional sports are governed by rules and regulations, and never have I broken any of these.

I have also had to endure, many personal targeted insults. I have heard people say, that since I am only 15 years of age, I am technically not an adult, and so I shouldn’t even be allowed to run in this race. I should be in juniors!

Once again, I state, that I have not broken any rules, so why the malicious rumours and assumptions. Do people really need to stoop to such levels? Just accept it- I was not the quickest girl in the semi-finals and I was first across the line in the final. I am the proud winner of the Stawell Gift, and it would be lovely if I could be remembered by this, rather than the unfounded controversy that surrounded my win.

If this controversy results in the Victorian Athletic League (VAL) to consider changes to the rules, then at least one positive can come out of all of this. No one else will have to endure the mental anguish that had overshadowed my win.

As for the true blue Aussie Spirit, this conflict may have divided many athletic camps, but it has certainly united all members of the POD squad. Go Pete, and thanks for your guidance and support. I couldn’t have done it without you and my POD squad training partners. United We stand!

By Ashley Gercovich
VCE English student

We await Talia Martins own story.

She has a class of speech writers for her upcoming speaking engagements and everyone wants the hear Talia Martins Story.

2 Re: The Talia Martin injustice inspires. on Fri May 06, 2016 7:47 pm

Toolman

The biggest problem in the whole Martin saga in my opinion is how she got out to 11.5m after three odd runs. Her first run in open company at St Albans in 2014 she was as far as I am aware probably only 13 years old so not even eligible to run in the event if she has won Stawell at 15yo. I think she maybe run again at St Albans in 2015 in her 2nd open age outing then made a Ballarat Gift Semi in 2015 in her third off a mark of 12m. Way too big a mark in a gift for somebody of any ability to have in only their second legitimate outing. I don't blame POD in any way shape or form because the sole blame has to fall on to the handicapper for giving her the mark. To only whip 0.5m off her after the 2015 Stawell Gift was another mistake as POD has stated if he can't improve a 15yo 3 metres in a year he isn't doing his job. She had the mark at the start of the season and was not given another lift for the whole year so none of the so called below par performances have resulted in a lift anyhow. With the mark in the bank prior to the season the POD's have probably done a few sums and said "well this kid is in the mix" for Stawell and set her for the race. I say well well done POD's and really if the establishment don't want an outmarker to win it don't gift them the mark in the first place. The worst thing is they probably haven't had the chance to really enjoy the victory in the way they should have. Congrats Tahlia and the whole POD Squad enjoy the victory

3 Re: The Talia Martin injustice inspires. on Fri May 13, 2016 6:33 pm

Fast

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Yes and thankyou, however no matter what your opinion is about runners winning or running from a front mark or poor handicapping or an inadequate handicapping structure for the women and juniors or for whatever other reason, there is no excuse or justification for targeting and singling out a young girl and picking on one poor performance in isolation.

To not consider anyone of her other 25 plus meeting performances for the year and only consider her worst performances …yes she competed every week end from October to Easter and was 4th in the Geelong Gift the week before Ararat and 5th in the State Championships the week after Ararat (the weekend before Stawell), or her two previous Junior Girls Stawell Gift wins, is wrong and very poor judgement at best and many other things at worst….but we won’t go there for the time being.

To bring the sport into disrepute on its biggest stage without consideration to all her previous and PB performances must be Stewarding of the past. Poor judgement is no excuse, Handicappers and Stewards need to be unbiased and reasonable and consider all performances and especially PB performances before intimidating athletes and coaches.

There simply are better ways rather than to intimidate runners, parents and coaches when we all know performance is subjected to many factors …..everyone has a PB and that should be the basis of handicapping and stewarding.

It is 2016 and we want to grow professional running (betting is virtually non-existent) …and not give athletes and coaches a bad experience, make the environment safe and inviting and allow the next generation to compete without out fear of failure or intimidation.

The POD squad did not start this and when an injustice is done it is not right to curl up in the corner and accept it.

4 Re: The Talia Martin injustice inspires. on Tue May 17, 2016 9:28 am

Fast

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
So how much did Talia Marin actually improve from the Ballarat Gift to the Stawell Gift.

The objective assessment – the handicapper failed or refused to do.

In the Ballarat Gift, Talia ran 108.5 meters in 14.28 seconds = 0.1316 time(rate)/metre.

Hypothetically, if she were to run 107 meters at that rate, she can save 0.1974 (0.1316*1.5meters) second or finish the race in 14.083 (14.28 less 0.1974) seconds.

Therefore, her improvements, between Ballarat Gift and Stawell Gift, for the same distant (107 meters) is as follows:

Improvement in time %:
(13.697 less 14.083)/14.083 = (2.74%)

Improvement in metre(s)
(-2.74%) * 107 = 2.93 metres

So in 7 weeks from Ballarat to Stawell -Ta Martin improved 2.93 metres......no where near 7 metres.

5 Re: The Talia Martin injustice inspires. on Tue May 17, 2016 10:24 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
I think we're pretty much over this and accept there was nothing untoward by the Women's 120m at Stawell.

What I find the most frustrating and disappointing is that I've now had to, multiple times, to the average punter explain Talia Martin did not win THE Stawell Gift but a women's equivalent. I'm talking about the race that's been run since 1878. The one we actually go to Stawell for each year.

On Sunday I was in the local pub and a bloke asked me about the controversy at Stawell regarding the girl who won the Stawell Gift. He asked was that the first time a girl had won it.

This whole saga has overshadowed the real hero of Stawell, in my opinion, and that was Isaac Dunmall's dramatic and brilliant win, improving significantly over the last 4 years and never giving up his dream, even though it looked shot after previous attempts. Most guys would have been resigned to thinking their chance had gone after running very quick at previous Stawell Gifts including making the final. But Dunmall made the trip from Queensland once again to have another crack and this time defied history and won.

I have never seen such a low-key media response to a Stawell Gift win like I have with Isaac Dunmall this year.

6 Re: The Talia Martin injustice inspires. on Tue May 17, 2016 5:27 pm

Fast

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Thanks Youngy for your support and acceptance that there was nothing untoward by the Women’s Stawell Gift winner, and that view is widely the opinion of those involved in professional athletics but there are many outside the sport that are not as well informed.

I was also at a conference Thursday last week and was talking in a group and after being introduced to one in the group said “so you are the coach of the young girl who cheated in the Stawell Gift” ….

What would be your answer to that? …..and

What would you do if it were your son or daughter?

And I fully agree that Isaac Dunmall’s perseverance and dedication is a remarkable story in the history of the Stawell Gift and should have been the story but it is not our fault that it is not.

Talia Martins family’s 70-year association with the Stawell Gift should have been the other story but instead a lot of pain and suffering has been inflicted on a 15-year-old teenage girl, all the bulling, trolling, being labelled a cheat, harassment, defamation, victimisation etc. Just because the Handicapper was not objective and refused to do a simple calculation and the Chief Steward also either relied on the Handicapper or failed to do his own objective checks and as a consequence made false and misleading statements to the media to further inflame the injustice.

The injustice has unfortunately become the story of the 2016 Stawell Gift.

7 Re: The Talia Martin injustice inspires. on Wed May 18, 2016 9:49 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
I can certainly see your point of view. I would hate to see my daughter be vilified at school, on social media etc...for winning a race. It's very sad & it was definitely unavoidable had it been handled better. Talia definitely deserves the plaudits for an outstanding performance.

From an SAAL perspective it was an illustration of how this issue can be managed much better. I've spoken to a few people within the SAAL and there's a resolve to ensure our major race winners are not put through the ringer and we must be careful with knee-jerk reactions. For most athletes it's the greatest moment of their sporting lives and we should allow them to enjoy the moment.

8 Re: The Talia Martin injustice inspires. on Wed May 18, 2016 2:07 pm

Kangaroota

Is there any official update to this since Stawell? At the very least the VAL should now scrap the fine and issue an apology. It is clear she was targeted and now known she was targeted before the heats had been run. It is unclear why she was targeted.
I have many examples of women athletes finding plenty for 2016 Stawell from their worst run of the year yet only Talia was targeted before she even ran the heat.

9 Re: The Talia Martin injustice inspires. on Fri May 20, 2016 2:27 pm

Kangaroota

Was trolling the results and there is an interesting comparison between Martin and Exum at Geelong. Martin beat Exum by 0.22 in the semi final (Martin 4th and into final, Exum 7th in semi). At Stawell the margin was only 0.02. Therefore from Geelong Exum improved more than Martin but was not questioned by handicapper or Steward. This was Exum’s final run before Stawell, a 7th in the Geelong semi, and she received an extra 0.25m handicap lift for this run for Easter.
So to compare their last run before Stawell with their Stawell performance,
Martin improved 6.73m from Ararat to Stawell.
Exum improved 7.79m from Geelong to Stawell.

Exum was the outright favourite yet only Martin was targeted (before and after the heat run).

10 Re: The Talia Martin injustice inspires. on Fri May 20, 2016 8:58 pm

Slowcoach

This is all beyond belief and has a real stench about it. There needs to be an enquiry as to why this young girl was singled out. A statement made by the VAL and in particular an explanation from the handicapper, who seems to have gotten away scot free for his unprofessional behavior. There is a lack of confidence and trust hanging over the VAL's officialdom at the moment and it needs to be addressed quickly.

11 Re: The Talia Martin injustice inspires. on Sat May 21, 2016 10:00 am

Fast

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Kangaroota wrote:Was trolling the results and there is an interesting comparison between Martin and Exum at Geelong. Martin beat Exum by 0.22 in the semi final (Martin 4th and into final, Exum 7th in semi). At Stawell the margin was only 0.02. Therefore from Geelong Exum improved more than Martin but was not questioned by handicapper or Steward. This was Exum’s final run before Stawell, a 7th in the Geelong semi, and she received an extra 0.25m handicap lift for this run for Easter.
So to compare their last run before Stawell with their Stawell performance,
Martin improved 6.73m from Ararat to Stawell.
Exum improved 7.79m from Geelong to Stawell.

Exum was the outright favourite yet only Martin was targeted (before and after the heat run).  

Thanks kanga.... that is one we missed, we were of the view that Keilor where she was 5 m slower was her last run before Stawell but 8m. We must remember that this is not Tiera Exum’s fault - she is a victim in this injustice as well.

This highlights exactly what is wrong with the handicap system and stewarding - no checks and balances.
How can an athlete get an extra lift after running an NAP.
What is the role of the handicap review panel? Who is on the panel?

This is truly astonishing, the truth is slowly coming out, if anyone else has any other handicapping, stewarding or betting anomalies- especially if they are of this magnitude please post them or email them, they may come in handy.

12 Re: The Talia Martin injustice inspires. on Wed May 25, 2016 8:28 am

Fast

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Slowcoach wrote:This is all beyond belief and has a real stench about it. There needs to be an enquiry as to why this young girl was singled out. A statement made by the VAL and in particular an explanation from the handicapper, who seems to have gotten away scot free for his unprofessional behavior. There is a lack of confidence and trust hanging over the VAL's officialdom at the moment and it needs to be addressed quickly.

Yes, most are fully aware of the elephant in the room. What information was disclosed or not disclosed by the handicapper to the chief Steward?

Sports officials (handicappers and Stewards in the VAL’s case) have an obligation and duty to discharge their responsibilities objectively, reasonably, responsibly and fairly. They are paid to do that. The VAL board has a governance responsibility to oversee this discharge and have appropriate mitigating measures in place. All have a responsibility to reasonably ensure that the rules and regulations are equally and consistently applied to all participants.
Under the VAL regulations (1.3) the VAL Board has the responsibility to prevent or overcome corrupt, wrong or unfair practice affecting or likely to affect, any meeting, race or event or any other aspect of the sport.

The first objective question the handicapper should ask himself when fulfilling his responsibilities is:
How does that performance compare to the athlete’s best performances? It is reasonable to assume that all athletes are capable of reproducing a performance they have achieved (at least up to a certain age), and it is reasonable to assume that a 15-year-old would improve.

The second question would be:
What other significant or winning performances has this athlete had?

The answers to those two questions are now common knowledge.

Talia Martin only improved 2.9m for her run in the Ballarat gift 7 weeks prior to Stawell. She had won the previous two Junior Stawell Gifts along with other significant performances, a 400m win at Maryborough and a finalist in the State Junior Championships.

Had the Women’s VAL handicapper honestly and unbiasedly answered those two simple questions this ugly injustice would not have occurred.

But he chose to select one of her slowest performances (run on an average track and into a 4.6m head wind, after Stawell handicaps had been declared at a non-penalty meeting). That is not being objective, reasonable or responsible. This is not the approach of a reasonable man.

But there is more……

We are at a loss to understand what the handicapper’s motives were? But can there be any doubt if you look at the facts below?

The 2nd placegetter in the Women’s Stawell Gift improved almost 8m (EIGHT) from the Geelong Gift to Stawell Gift in 26 days (her last run before Stawell) and is given an extra 0.25m for her effort, while Talia Martin is the only one targeted?

Yes, that is right, eight, or more accurately 7.8m (she ran 12.482sec form 6.75m at Geelong) improvement from Geelong to Stawell. That is over a metre more than Talia Martin 6.7m improvement from Ararat to Stawell. Please note these are not improvements on PB’s but they are like for like. She gets an NAP for Geelong, but unbelievably gets an extra 0.25 lift for Stawell …. this is real astonishing stuff. This is a breach of the VAL rules and regulations and the handicapping guidelines by the handicapper.

Talia Martin at the age of 15 had more disclosed form than almost every Stawell Gift winner in history.

It is widely accepted that the Handicapper loaded this gun, but what we don't understand is why the Chief Steward lacked objective judgment in firing the gun.
If you are going to take aim and target a young 15 year old girl on the sport’s biggest stage, with all the media watching, and in the current social media environment then you should be very sure of the facts. Then to further inflame the injustice by offering false and misleading statements to the media is beyond comprehension.

What followed was reasonably foreseeable.

All we want is justice for an innocent 15-year-old girl, Talia Martin, who has done no wrong but has been vindictively targeted, singled out, labelled a cheat, vilified, bullied, trolled and victimised like few will ever know. This is not what our sport should be about. All because of ......???? What was the motive???

To pick on a young girl in a non-penalty race, after handicaps had been declared for Stawell and ignore every other race she has competed in, is astonishing and raises more questions than answers.

The Talia Martin injustice will go down as the ugliest incident in the history of the Stawell Gift, Professional Athletics and the VAL, far exceeding the Glen Crawford injustice that divided the sport for many years in the mid 1990’s. We could only hope that out of all this adversity some positive changes in the sport can occur which would eliminate bullying and intimidating stewarding.

POD

13 Re: The Talia Martin injustice inspires. on Wed May 25, 2016 10:33 am

Baltimore Jack

Preaching to the converted on here. No one arguing with you.
Issue is with the VAL, so need to take it up with them.

14 Re: The Talia Martin injustice inspires. on Thu May 26, 2016 11:08 pm

DizzyRunner

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
I can’t take it no more.

When you gain an advantage (through a supposed handicapping error or a lift that was not due) and then win $40,000, you have not suffered an injustice.

Talia and her entourage should be thanking the VAL and all is employees for the way they have conducted themselves this season. Regardless of whether she should have been given a lift, she was given a lift, and could not have won without it. And I have no problem with this at all. It was not Talia or PODs job to point out the handicapper’s mistake.

But, there have been occasions over the past several years whereby 800m and 1600m runners have been fined over 50% of their winnings for inconsistent performances. For Talia to be fined less than 5% of her winnings is a joke. She has been given special treatment which has been favourable to her circumstance rather than being punished, probably because she is a 15 year old girl rather than a dodgy 40 year old male who has been playing the game for 20 years.

Enjoy the cash, enjoy the sash, but people should stop complaining that there was an injustice. She is not in jail and she still has about $38,500 more than the rest of the women who entered the event.

15 Re: The Talia Martin injustice inspires. on Fri May 27, 2016 10:18 am

PODSQUAD

Talia is very grateful and humble and very much appreciates that she was lucky to win, the wind dropped at the right time, she won by the smallest of margins, she won despite the immense and unfair pressure placed on her by being unfairly targeted. But she trained extremely hard, never missed a training session for 50 weeks and competed every weekend- few would have been better prepared. But because she won is not justification for the bulling etc.
Talia has been and still is subject to abuse and innuendo and that is an injustice.

The injustice has nothing to do with handicapping. It is not about the money.

You have suffered an injustice when you have been unfairly targeted and singled out and suffered as a consequence, almost all women competing on the circuit were inconsistent this year (the rule is fundamentally flawed) some improved more that Talia Martin did at Stawell but Talia was the only one targeted.

Therefore, we state again …. to choose to select one of her slowest performances run on an average track over a different distance and into a 4.6m head wind, after Stawell handicaps had been declared at a non-penalty meeting is not being objective, reasonable or responsible. To choose this performance to measure inconsistency is not fair and is not the approach of a reasonable person.
To target a girl on that performance is gob smacking. It would not be fair for anyone to be target is such circumstances.

Just on one fact alone a 40kg girl is going to be immensely impacted by a 4.6m head wind and anyone who knows anything about sprinting knows the wind adjustments applied are far from accurate. Let alone the other circumstance that surrounded Ararat.

Inconsistence should be measured against PB’s.

We are not across the past distance runner’s inconsistence charges you refer, to but if PB’s were ignored in the charges then they too would be an injustice.

Talia did not get a lift all year apart from the 1.5m given to the entire field due to Breen, this field lift was total unnecessary and ridiculously increased the limit, and as a result damaged the credibility of the Women’s gift.
The limit this year should have been 12m at the most and if the race is handicapped properly should be 10m next year…. a 10m limit caters for 12.50 sec 100m athletes and if you can’t run 12.50 sec for 100m you should not be capable of or deserve to win a $40,000 Women’s Stawell Gift.

It is not about the money -the money and the Stawell name gives the event prestige. But she is enjoying her hover board, which is some little consolidation for all the bulling she has endured.

16 Re: The Talia Martin injustice inspires. on Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:42 am

Robbo

This is like the gift that keeps on giving.  

I haven’t done any research to validate or discredit what is being reported so I take what is being reported as correct in regards to improvements. I agree that your measured improvement should be based on your best performance not every run. So many variables that can influence any given run so comparing to Ararat is probably incorrect which POD has highlighted.

I 100% agree that the limit should be 10m or 10m plus the Breen lift (if that is really necessary, I don’t believe it is). If it is important that the men’s and women’s events are seen equal than the limit needs to fall inline.  

I feel for the POD Squad and Talia as the fall out has been significant and unfair which I would hate to see one of my athletes go through. Bulling is intolerable and has been an unfortunate outcome here and I trust that POD is dealing with that.

It does raise the question if there a too young to race in the Gift? It is all fine when there is no issues but we have to remember we putting athletes in a very adult environment with large prize money, media exposure, betting and what is clear now a high level of scrutiny. When things go pear shape as they have done it’s a bit to deal with for a young person and their family. I don’t have the right answer and I have 15/16 year olds racing the gift as well.

I don’t know if Talia was the only person singled out, I had a 16 out on 10.5m in 2015 and she was run out in the gift semi in about 13.8(ish). She was topic of discussion early in the season at Queanbeyan two weeks prior to putting blocks on the ground at Albury. For Albury she has been placed on a start mark for the year of 8.5 (or 8 can’t remember) and when we questioned it we were advised that she had been readjusted due to breaking the ceiling time in 2015 and that “she is young and an emerging athlete”. The later explanation we accepted based on our belief that the VAL was getting the women’s race under control. In light of the Talia winning at such a young age it is clear that there was not a blanket approach.

My athlete was then provided with a start mark at Stawell in 2016 of 7.75m which was later adjusted (4 days prior) to 6.75m an allegations that she had undeclared performances. We proved that all performances had been declared but handicap of 6.75m remained and we ran from there. After losing 3.75m in hcp and not improving a bit it does feel a little like she got handicapped on suspicion and her opportunity to be competitive had been removed unfairly. Unfortunately for us this was not isolated in 2016, across three girls that we expected to make the semis they lost a combined 6.75m without any improvement in that season. I’m not on here complaining just adding a perspective that whilst I agree that Talia has been unfairly targeted she was at least provided the opportunity to be competitive where others were not.

BR

17 Re: The Talia Martin injustice inspires. on Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:54 pm

Thatsthestats

Got to agree with Robbo there, Fein was very harshly handicapped as was Wyper both going back 2m from their Albury runs but a total of 3.75m for Fein from Stawell 2015 to 2016 for collecting $140 for a losing semi finalist was a little over the top when comparing that to O'Dywer back 5.25m for winning $40k and Henderson back 5m for winning $10k at Stonnington. Castle was another who was not missed by the handicapper either. It's not really going to attract the interstaters to Stawell if they are handicapped out of it. Fein went back 1.75m more the Blizzard who finaled in 2015 and ran quicker time. I realise interstaters are OGA and can be given what the handicapper sees fit but it seems like there is not too much consistency when it comes to the rehandicapping for the emerging talents. Martin's lack of pull from 2015 to 2016 was also a little perplexing to me also but was a fantastic win all the same.

18 Re: The Talia Martin injustice inspires. on Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:29 pm

Fast

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
What an inconsistent performance from Novak Djokovic!

19 Re: The Talia Martin injustice inspires. on Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:32 pm

Hubbaup

Novak should definitely be fined 2K for that performance

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum