PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Loxton Gift Entries

Loxton Gift Entries

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Loxton Gift Entries on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:58 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
At the moment the Loxton Gift carnival entries are down on what they should be - mainly the 120m Gift and the Women's 120m.

Entries have remained opened until today.

If you have not yet entered - get your entry in.

Any interstate athletes wanting to enter a great carnival at Loxton - put an entry in.

2 Re: Loxton Gift Entries on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:46 am

ProHack

It's all well and good to tell people to get their entries in, but unfortunately, things such as form and cost play a part in not entering Loxton.

Why run if not in form and foot a bill to go with it?

3 Re: Loxton Gift Entries on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:00 pm

Bumble Bee Man

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Well don't complain when others around you get a lift

4 Re: Loxton Gift Entries on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:54 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
ProHack wrote:It's all well and good to tell people to get their entries in, but unfortunately, things such as form and cost play a part in not entering Loxton.

If you don't want to go to Loxton, so be it. But spare us the excuses.

The alternative (to small entry numbers) is the Loxton Gift goes the way of Clare which folded because of a lack of entries - and we lose a $17,000 meeting.

The 'softness' of many athletes in the modern era is something hopefully I never get use to. I'm fortunate enough to have a long memory, kept programs & news cuttings and therefore remember when you went to somewhere like Wangaratta (roughly a similar distance from Melbourne that Loxton is from Adelaide) where there were over 130 plus entries in the Gift and heat winners only advanced to the semis. You knew that unless you were in best shape that you probably had little hope of getting past the heat, but you went anyway to enjoy and support the meeting because you loved it. For many established athletes 'lifts' were only something you encountered when travelling between floors in tall buildings. You had to attend several Gifts to get a lift. You knew when you got a lift you had earned it. Some good runners in terrific shape were run out in a heat and had to rely on the 400m for another run.

Now days we've got juniors or kids with less than a handful of starts expecting a lift every time they enter.

As at yesterday the Loxton Gift had 24 entries. That doesn't offer much depth and the semis will include runners out of form or not yet ready. We need numbers to develop depth and quality. So I implore people that if you do not have other commitments - enter the Loxton Gift and help to support the meet.

5 Re: Loxton Gift Entries on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:28 pm

guessing

so how many of your runners will be competing in the loxton 120 open gift then youngy ?

6 Re: Loxton Gift Entries on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:40 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
It's none of your business. Certainly not that of an anonymous guest.

Work it out for yourself when the marks are published.

Point is - If you have a reason not to go to Loxton keep it to yourself. No need to post it here.

7 lift or no lift on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:12 pm

birdman

only 24 open noms hey poor effort for $6000 gift maybe no pull in marks for the winner of this event

8 loxton on Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:37 pm

o35er

When the limit is 12m it cuts me out of the equation. My view is I pay as an open runner for the season before its program for the season is released to find it loaded with four 120m open meets with limits. Handicap racing is supposed to give a runner with any ability an equal opportunity to win these races, thats why its handicapped to restrict it to the top runners means less competitors. Its likely most over 35 runners who can most afford to travel and pay a higher cost to compete are automatically excluded under the limit system. The other factor is the accommodation that the Loxton area tries to take advantage of in offering 2 nights stay only (this is what I have found searching for family accommodation). I am however still going to Loxton for the 300m events (driving up and back same day). Would like to be doing the 120m thou.

9 loxton on Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:39 pm

o35er

btw Im not a guest, just didnt login Laughing

10 Re: Loxton Gift Entries on Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:51 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
"Handicap racing is supposed to give a runner with any ability an equal opportunity to win these races, thats why its handicapped to restrict it to the top runners means less competitors."

There's a limit of 12m because the club offers a significant prize pool ($6000) to attract a decent standard of competition.

One of the things I'll never understand with athletes who continue to run beyond the age of 35 is this expectation that as their form deteriorates with age, we're expected to push the limits out to accommodate them.

It's something that crept into the VAL about 20 years ago when the codger lobby took over. Back in the halcyon days of the sport, there use to be standards in open events with reasonable limits. eg: 60m in a 400m; 120m in an 800m; 240m in a 1600m. Then several influential codgers used the diminishing number of athlete registrations and entries to lower the standards and push for 'open' limits to keep them in the sport. All it did was gradually erode the standards required to win an open sash.

That's why we now have Over 35 & Over 45 events so codgers can still enjoy the sport. Unless a codger can maintain a decent standard off a respectable handicap in the big Gifts (limit of 11 or 12) then stick to the codger races.

Over 35's get a lot more value for their registration than the average open athlete. They have far more races available to them through the season. Eg: There's plenty of over 35's 120m races through the season where open (or under 35) athletes can't compete.

11 loxton on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:16 pm

It is fair to say there is a limit for a reason and I completely understand the want for a high standard of comp. The prize pool of $6000 as mentioned is to attract these high standard runners, for some its not. There is a search for more runners to go and a request asking if they aren't going then why. I dont believe entering the age of over 35 hinders your ability, there are some high quality over 35 runners eg Tim Johnson. I know my abilty hasn't changed since starting aged 32 and my mark has remained steady for some time now. Asked why I'm not competing in the 120m open, well thats it, the limit. As for other options as an over 35er, there is no 120m over 35's at Mount Gambier, Hectorville and Loxton, only the Bay Shef offers an alternative. Anyway thats my opinion. Very Happy

12 loxton on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:46 pm

just to add, the value for over 35 runners, there are 23 open events in the 70m to 200m range and only 9 events for the over 35s in the 70m to 200m range for the season. Maybe the sponsorship for Loxton 120m open should be reduced and an over 35's 120m event included?

13 now I'm confussed on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:35 am

youngy wrote:
ProHack wrote:It's all well and good to tell people to get their entries in, but unfortunately, things such as form and cost play a part in not entering Loxton.

If you don't want to go to Loxton, so be it. But spare us the excuses.

The alternative (to small entry numbers) is the Loxton Gift goes the way of Clare which folded because of a lack of entries - and we lose a $17,000 meeting.

As at yesterday the Loxton Gift had 24 entries. That doesn't offer much depth and the semis will include runners out of form or not yet ready. We need numbers to develop depth and quality. So I implore people that if you do not have other commitments - enter the Loxton Gift and help to support the meet.

First, if you aren't in form the best way to get back in form is to run.
Second however is the suggestion to have runners compete that aren't in "form" to make up numbers and create more depth in the competition and keep it alive etc. Yet having an over 35 runner not compete because of the limit and changing to no limit would make the competition less exciting etc.
I think there is a new meaning for "codger"??? Smile

14 Re: Loxton Gift Entries on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:41 am

curious

While we are on discussing the numbers game at Loxton why is the league continuing planning a 1000 under 20.
In the last two seasons only 6 runners competed in 2009 and not enough runners nominated in 2010 so the event was canned.
On the other hand at the last three meetings the numbers for a novice have been TTG 1000= 15
MARION 550= 22
CAMDEN 800= 20
Why not reward those runners who vote with their feet and scrap the under 20 100m and make it a straight out 500m novice final towards the end of the program. Seems a shame for sponsors to put up $400 for a very very lack lustre race.
By doing it this way Im sure novice runners would run in other events where the under 20 1ooom runners probably wouldnt.
Plus underage runners are being more than catered for at the moment.
Example of this is theres a 120m under 20 ,under 17 300m and under 20 1000m at Loxton compared to only one novice event ,a 70m
Novice runners are voting with their feet .lets reward some of these runners who have been around for a while and may not have won a sash

15 Re: Loxton Gift Entries on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:07 pm

Goodcall

Well said curious. Most of those from the 1000 junior race would front up in the novice probably but at least encouraging others in also. Not everyone can run a sprint or have the distance of a 1km.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum