PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

June 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Tierra Exum coach's controversial comments

Tierra Exum coach's controversial comments

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Tierra Exum coach's controversial comments on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Slowcoach

Disappointing that the coach of the women's gift runner up (James Karageorgiou) questions the winners integrity when his own runner improved 5 meters from her last run at Keilor. Any fines in the pipeline? (ABC nightly news)

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-29/coach-of-stawell-gift-winner-talia-martin-rejects-any-wrongdoing/7282612

Stawell Gift women's race winner Talia Martin's coach rejects any wrongdoing

ABC News
Tuesday 29th March 2016

The coach of Stawell Gift women's final winner Talia Martin has rejected any suggestion either of them have done anything wrong, after the 15-year-old's dramatic improvement in form.

Martin took out Australia's richest foot race on Monday winning $40,000, but was later fined $2,000 for "inconsistent racing".

Stewards imposed the penalty because she improved 7 metres from a race in the Victorian town of Ararat 12 days earlier.

Martin's coach Peter O'Dwyer said there had been misconceptions around the win.

"Tai has actually won the last two junior Stawell Gifts and the natural progression was to go on and win the main Women's Gift," he told 774 ABC Melbourne.

"She's probably improved 3 to 4 metres on her performance last year but she's a 14, 15-year-old girl and you'd expect that sort of improvement.

"At that age it's not uncommon ... the natural growth in that age would give some of those gains."

O'Dwyer said Martin's slow run in Ararat was due to a family bereavement.

"She improved from Ararat but there were a lot of issues going in to Ararat," he said.

"Her aunty, or effectively her de facto grandmother, died that week and she'd just had the funeral and was obviously was very upset."

He denied Martin had been part of a "sting", or move to deliberately throw a race, to avoid a greater handicap.

"You obviously plan to win these races and you set them up on a training program to be at their best when it counts," he said.

"To train 15-year-old girls to sting is not really on these days, it's an old fashioned thing."

"She has a huge heart ... she was headed by a faster, stronger runner with about 20 metres to go and she just guts it out she showed huge resilience."

Talia Martin's race times

Race - Month - Distance -Handicap - Adjusted time (seconds)
Maryborough January 120m 11.50 14.666
Ballarat February 120m 11.50 14.280
Ararat March 120m (under 20s) 22 13.412
Stawell March 120m 13 13.696
Source: Victorian Athletic League

'It's not frequent but it is part of the sport'

Victorian Athletics League (VAL) chief executive Tom Burbidge, who won the Stawell Gift in 2010 and was fined for his inconsistent performances, said cases like Martin's were not frequent but "part of the sport".

"Any time you've got a sport involving handicaps there is always that element of getting under the handicappers guard in some cases," he said.

"But in other cases things get thrown up in people's lives that makes them perform better or worse depending on the circumstance."

Victorian athletics officials are considering rule changes to crack down to dramatic improvements in athletes after Martin's fine.

Tierra Exum, who finished second behind Martin in the Women's Gift, said she was happy to make the final.

"She won it off the mark so that's good for her and she was a struggle to catch down and obviously I didn't catch her," she said.

"Throughout the season you didn't see her so you didn't think she was going to come out and win Stawell. So it was a surprise but it was just exciting to get second."

Exum's coach James Karageorgiou said organisers needed to apply regulations consistently.

"In the same way that the VAL asks the athletes to run consistently, I think they need to act a little more consistently in how they deal with certain athletes."

What is handicapped racing?

Handicaps are used in running races to ensure every athlete has a chance to win.

The fastest runner is placed on a backmark to give a head start to slower runners.

Stewards keep an eye on all runners to ensure they run to the best of their ability and do not deliberately run slow to get a better handicap.

The stewards can fine athletes found to be deliberately running slow or who do not provide correct details about past performances.

Source: Victorian Athletic League

Last edited by Admin on Fri May 20, 2016 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

bow and arrow

Talia Martin in 2016
Race - Distance - Handicap - Time  - Month
Maryborough 120m 11.5m 14.41s January
Ballarat 120m 11.5m 12.59s February
Ararat 100m 9.5m 12.59s March
Stawell 120m 13m 13.7s March

WTF ""
Don't blame her blame POD himself she is doing exactly, what he told her to do .Know she is paying the price ,how can POD sleep Knowing he duded the system again .It is up to the Stewards, and VAL ,to step in and Suspend him from coaching for 1 year (Nothing different to any other sport ) or disqualify the young girl which is  more than likely  .A lesson must be learnt this is how it is to be .

PODS credibility is on the line as is his squads. They cashed in VAL take note the Chief steward knew this was happening all season (Playing Favorites )

I feel for the other 5 girls that ran their hearts out in the final and they are far better runners than Taliah by far. She did not deserve to be there .You must earn the right to run in such a prestigious race .I feel that a to compete in the womens gift you should be a least 18 years old and be and open  runner  before you become eligible to run, makes it fair on the others, max handicap 11/12

To use a death in the family as an excuse as to why she ran so poorly, ( Condolences to the Family )  shows that she was coached into saying that ( please .)
That's very poor her emotions would of been out of whack  Why would you have run anyway is beyond me, take time to Greive  .This young girl will wish she had never won the biggest race in the land .And that is so sad all because of POD I have nothing against her, she knows no better she is still a baby

She will be watched very closely for a couple of years if she runs again .

VAL Rule changes are needed must earn the right fairly .Must have an age limit to compete in the big one Women become stronger at 18 up

You don't see 15 year olds competing in the Mens Gift and winning  Age limit should apply 18 up

Apples for Apples  Not Apples  and Grapes

4 Stawell on Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:53 pm

Trevorpayne

Personally I don't think we should put any blame on a young child.
I think the system must to take the majority of the blame.
The young girl ran both heats and a semi final surely alarm bells must of been ringing. At this point the stewards should of stepped in.
If the trainer can produce 3 years on the bounce then rightly or wrongly he knows how to work the system. again showing some flaws in the system
I think it's a bit it late for stewards to say something and try to close the gate after the horse has bolted.
Maybe having a collective group of handicappers looking at the different age groups and genders instead of just one person for each group would of elevaited this issue.
But I'm sure some good will come out of it.

Fast

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
POD and the POD squad have been under immense scrutiny over Talia Martin’s Stawell gift win.

The jealous haters like Bow and Arrow have been out in force, Bow and Arrow even distorting the facts to express more hate.

The haters of pro-running have also grasped the opportunity to hate the sport more.

But is the mission statement and are the values of the POD squad bad for the sport?

Pod squad mission statement - Train to sprint fast and be at your best when it counts.

Values
Consistent discipline
Supporting
Inclusive
Responsibly
Respect
Humility

Consistent discipline - Success is all about being consistently discipline.
Supportive - Support all in the squad, celebrate others successes and be loyal to each other.
Inclusive - Include and welcome all regardless of ability, age or gender.
Responsible – No excuses- be responsible for your training, performances and goals.
Respect- Respect all but especially your opposition.
Humanity – be humble in winning -appreciate that you are privileged to win ....especially if it is a handicapped race.

The POD squad will continue to strive to achieve and upholds its values.

6 Stawell on Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:34 pm

Trevorpayne

Fair play you can only run to what the handicapper gives you and the young girl won.
I wish her all the best

Kangaroota

Haters gonna hate

Martin, Exum, Dunmall, Schlanders, Richter, Moore, Cohen, Doderico, McHugh, Attard all improved. Along with half the field who didn’t win. Just the same as every other Stawell. No issue here with this.

Only Martin spoken to.

Grinaldi1

Kangaroota wrote:Haters gonna hate

Martin, Exum, Dunmall, Schlanders, Richter, Moore, Cohen, Doderico, McHugh, Attard all improved. Along with half the field who didn’t win. Just the same as every other Stawell. No issue here with this.

Only Martin spoken to.

Your right all these runners did improve, trained to be at their peak for the Stawell gift.

There's a difference between improving and peaking at the right time over weeks and months.

And not trying 2 weeks prior
then running 7m faster less than 2 weeks later.

Kangaroota

Exactly my point. They all peaked for Stawell.
You need to drop Ararat from the equation. Use any other meet and make sure you cross reference with all other improvers from all events. You'll be amazed what you find.
Ararat should be a non issue. I cannot imagine the pain the poor girl was in. Time for people to have a little empathy.

10 Re: Tierra Exum coach's controversial comments on Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:36 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
Seems to me there's a lot of people in glass houses tossing yonnies at the wall.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing.......If I had my time over again I would  done a few things differently over the journey. I've made mistakes and had to live with the consequences.

No doubt Peter O'Dwyer wished he had not let Talia run at Ararat. At the time he probably didn't think much about it. Certainly the stewards/handicapper didn't.

Bottom line is the mark was locked in before Ararat so there was nothing to be gained by running there. Pete will learn from it. And so should we.

Last edited by Admin on Fri May 20, 2016 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

11 Re: Tierra Exum coach's controversial comments on Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:09 pm

Mex

I absolutely agree with Youngy and Roota here. So lets leave the kid out of it.

One interesting point that maybe should be explored further is the idea of a minimum age for big races. Perhaps we should limit the field by way of handicaps and age? This would allow the younger generation to learn their craft in smaller races and give the handicappers a better understanding of each athlete before they become 'established'? It would work for both the open races and women only races. Perhaps across all distances where the prize money exceeds 'x' amount? Do we say that you have to be over the age of 16, 17 or 18 to race in any classic? I would not be opposed to such an idea. Perhaps we could have a different handicap for these athletes in a classic? Personally I do not want any young athletes to have two handicaps, but is it an option?

12 Re: Tierra Exum coach's controversial comments on Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:11 pm

oldman

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
And the coaches that have come out swinging should be asked the please explain, first the NSW coach attacking the handicap in PUBLIC given to Hale and now Tierra Exums coachs - its all to easy to rant and rave on social media these days, ah hang on, what am i doing!!!! Anyway they are in positions where they need to be held accountable for their mouth - a please explain, warning or fine win suffice.

13 Re: Tierra Exum coach's controversial comments on Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:45 pm

Slowcoach

Fast wrote:POD and the POD squad have been under immense scrutiny over Talia Martin’s Stawell gift win.

The jealous haters like Bow and Arrow have been out in force, Bow and Arrow even distorting the facts to express more hate.

The haters of pro-running have also grasped the opportunity to hate the sport more.

But is the mission statement and are the values of the POD squad bad for the sport?

Pod squad mission statement - Train to sprint fast and be at your best when it counts.

Values
Consistent discipline
Supporting
Inclusive
Responsibly
Respect
Humility

Consistent discipline - Success is all about being consistently discipline.
Supportive - Support all in the squad, celebrate others successes and be loyal to each other.
Inclusive - Include and welcome all regardless of ability, age or gender.
Responsible – No excuses- be responsible for your training, performances and goals.
Respect- Respect all but especially your opposition.
Humanity – be humble in winning -appreciate that you are privileged to win ....especially if it is a handicapped race.

The POD squad will continue to strive to achieve and upholds its values.

A great insight into what goes on behind the scenes and why Peter is such great and well respected coach. No wonder the POD squad is successful ....a clearly defined mission and purpose and values like that. I wonder if many other squads go to that detail?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum