PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

June 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Talia Martin, 15, upstages older rivals to win 2016 Stawell Gift

Talia Martin, 15, upstages older rivals to win 2016 Stawell Gift

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/more-sports/talia-martin-15-upstages-older-rivals-to-win-2016-stawell-gift/news-story/4be980276a20c67ab913151cc7124ffe#load-story-comments

Talia Martin, 15, upstages older rivals to win 2016 Stawell Gift

By Carly Crawford, Scott Gullan, Lauren Wood
Herald Sun
March 29, 2016

THE dramatic improvement by women’s winner Talia Martin has damaged the credibility of the Stawell Gift, but there was nothing unusual about betting on the race, event officials say.

The 15-year-old Ballarat schoolgirl was hauled before the stewards after Saturday’s impressive heat win and found guilty of “inconsistent running” given just 12 days earlier at the Ararat Gift she’d performed poorly.

She was initially fined $2000 which was reduced to $500 on appeal but the stewards also imposed a percentage fine of winnings, which after her Gift heroics added on another $1500.

Event organisers spoke with bookmakers at the track, who said there had been nothing unusual about betting on the women’s race.

Sportsbet said only about $3000 had been wagered, with three times as much money on favourite Tierra Exum as there had been on Martin, who was third favourite at $6.

There had been no unusual changes in betting patterns, either.

“There was nothing suspicious at all about the betting on the race,” a Sportsbet spokesman said.

Organisers believe ASADA did have testers at the event, as they often do, although race stewards were unaware of anything untoward.

Those close to the contest say the manipulation of handicaps by a young athlete’s support staff is not uncommon.

An emotional Talia Martin after winning the 2016 Stawell Women’s Gift.

The 15-year-old reiterated today that she was “shaken up” before the Ararat race due to the death of her aunt, that she said hindered her ability.

“It was a pretty poor run and I didn’t run at my best,” she said on SEN when asked about being fined.

“A lot was going on in mine and my family’s life. We were all pretty shaken up.”

Victorian Athletic League chief steward Brian Marantelli said on times Martin had improved seven metres since being run out in the heats at Ararat which was considered beyond the “extreme” range.

“She got here and ran seven metres quicker, that’s more than most runners improve in a lifetime,” Marantelli said.

“It definitely (damages the credibility). It’s like in the horse racing game, getting beaten in a maiden at Pakenham and 12 days later winning the Cox Plate.”

Martin, who ran off 13 metres, claimed the $40,000 winner’s cheque in a bob-of-the-head finish from Tierra Exum (9.75m), the sister of NBA star Dante.

She revealed afterwards the death of her aunt on the eve of the Ararat race had impacted her performance dramatically.

Talia Martin, 15, celebrates winning the 2016 Stawell Women’s Gift.

“At the Ararat Gift I didn’t run my best time when my Aunty Barb died,” Martin said. “I was really emotional.

“I was in a really emotional state and I didn’t run my best. I just had to get past that but it kind of shook me up a bit.

“I knew I had to keep my mind off it, remain focused on what I had to do and continue fighting through.

“My aunty Barb always came down to Stawell so it’s been really hard without her but she was watching me up in heaven and she would be proud.”

“I would never think in a million years I would win the Stawell Gift ... I’ve done a massive amount of training and it’s paid off.”

It was the third consecutive victory in the race for leading trainer Peter O’Dwyer whose 15-year-old daughter Grace won last year’s Gift.

Martin, who attends Loreto College, thinks she will save most of the winnings although she has her eye on one particular item.

“I’ve always wanted a hoverboard but I’ve never been allowed so maybe a bit can go towards that,” she said.

Her friends, however, have different ideas.

“A lot of my friends have said ‘it’s your shout at the canteen’,” Martin told SEN on Tuesday morning.

In the women’s 400m, Lauren Wells evoked memories of the great Cathy Freeman when she stormed down the outside to claim a stunning victory.

Freeman rates her victory at Stawell as one of the best of her career and Wells, the Australian 400m hurdles champion, was just as excited after giving the front markers 40 metres.

Comments

John
As a two time Stawell gift finalist from many years ago my only query would be how Talia received such a luxury handicap at her age. Runners used to receive a novice handicap of 7 metres and only after they had run for some time would this be improved and then only in small increments. This gave the handicapper the opportunity to assess the runners ability more accurately. Despite this many runners were very good at hiding their true ability and others would wait years until they had the handicap they thought they could win off. Her wily trainer has manipulated the system to his athletes advantage and come away with the prize.

Michael
2 hours ago

Pro running what a joke, betting on children running like they are horses and giving handicaps to help even the odds.

Organised gambling ruins everything it touches, the only reason they are upset is because their little system was beaten by a runner who underwent a growth spurt/ and just happened to be in peak condition that day.

If it went for the handicap system that is a complete shame in the first place (seriously a head start for people who cant run as fast as the others...) then the bookie makers probably would not of been caught off guard as much.

But in the end they got what they wanted the $2000 back in possible bookie losses (despite the appeal the original amount was still gained) and as a whole learned nothing except to be more careful when setting the handicaps to dictate the outcome of what they hope to be fixed running races of teens who are being used for the profits of others.

Betting on such races should be illegal.

FlagShare
LikeReply

Dom

Dom
2 hours ago

Pro running is all about who can fool the handicapper the smartest and get a good mark. Joke of a sport!

FlagShare
1EthanLikeReply

Grant

Grant
2 hours ago

I can remember swimming in a butterfly race when I was 15.  I improved my best time over 50 metres by near 5 seconds and everything just clicked.  It is possible.

FlagShare
LikeReply

Neil

Neil
3 hours ago

Run 14.5 seconds consistently all year and then come to the Stawell Gift, when a $40,000 prize is up for grabs and serious betting money is on the line, and run 13.7.

Yeah, I think a few serious questions need to be asked.

FlagShare
1EthanLikeReply

Michael

Michael
1 hour ago

@Neil like the serious question of why are  people betting on a 15yo in a running event...

honestly who cares is there is a chance of cheating, the runners are not horses and don't simple run because a jockey whips them, also factor in a thing puberty and it makes sense

but lastly lets say it was a well played strategy, then who cares the only ones who lost are the idiots who gambled on kids running and the other contestants who were not good enough to use the rules to form a good strategy of their own...

FlagShare
LikeReply

John

John
5 hours ago

Pants on fire.

FlagShare
1John-PaulLikeReply

Tom

Tom
5 hours ago

A 15 year old hasn't acquired consistency , she is working towards that like all kids , but for so called adults to reprimand a child because she showed them up is beyond a joke . You keep running girl as these people will be the same ones kissing your butt in 5 years time

FlagShare
4BruceLeesaRoseSamaraLikeReply

Russell

Russell
5 hours ago

Still say all racing have handicap's any thing suspect the steward's take a look and make a decision on results  decision's made and that should be the end of it,To give her 13 mtrs with her ability is the steward's stupid mistake if she pulled a fast one only one person knows. No handicap no problem's

FlagShare
1AdelinaLikeReply

Josh

Josh
6 hours ago

When the fine is insignificant to the reward potential, most people will do what ever to maximize their result.  

FlagShare
1EthanLikeReply

Ryan

Ryan
7 hours ago

Get rid of the handicap.

FlagShare
5AdelinaIanPaulMalcolmLikeReply

patsy

patsy
6 hours ago

@Ryan Yep why shouldn't the fastest person actually win

FlagShare
3IanJaniceJoshLikeReply

Peter

Peter
6 hours ago

Why shouldn't the fastest horse win also?

Do you actually understand the basis of professional race handicapping?

Also don't try golf either.

FlagShare
1RobLikeReply

patsy

patsy
5 hours ago

@Peter And why shouldn't the fastest horse win, don't see handicapping at the Olympics proffessional golfers  play off scratch don't they?  I'm allowed to not like handicapping if  I don't want to surely

FlagShare
4BruceIanDavid TSIMONELikeReply

Michael

Michael
1 hour ago

@Peter handicapping was created originally for the sake of privilege, those who were not good enough to compete fairly created the handicap system to be able to compete with better opponents with help of the rules.

The only reason it remains in "professional" sports aka sports that gar bet on, is so that it can be used to even out the odds in the competition to a certain degree, thus helping the profits of the bookies  

FlagShare
LikeReply

patsy

patsy
7 hours ago

My times would have me starting about a meter from the finish line $40,000 thank you very much

FlagShare
2sueGeorginaLikeReply

Peter

Peter
5 hours ago

@patsy I'd probably cramp up in that metre and still lose.......

FlagShare
5JohnsueMatthewpatsyLikeReply

Dave

Dave
7 hours ago

I say well played.

FlagShare
LikeReply

Leigh

Leigh
8 hours ago

It's all about money, money money!!!!! Athletes trying to manipulate the rules and circumstances to give themselves the best possible chance to win the big one. This doesn't sound strange at all. I assume she has run a number of races over the previous few months. What was her average time? I would suspect she was handicapped on her previous performances by the handicappers not just one race. Good luck to her. Hope she gets her hover board and the bookies all lost their shirts!!!!

FlagShare
2SIMONEMaureenLikeReply

RAY

RAY
9 hours ago

What happened in the Mai n Event the Men's race.

FlagShare
1KraigLikeReply

Peter

Peter
9 hours ago

@RAY some guy won I think

FlagShare
6MattAnnePaulEres OodLikeReply

This comment has been deleted

Peter

Peter
9 hours ago

@Ange Kenos really? they gave her a handicap based on previous race times (not too sure how many). So her average speeds were taken into account and she was given the handicap before the meet. Suddenly she performs 7 METRES above her recent averages? That's what the point of the article is.

Maybe relax a little, take a breath and look at the facts. They will come out eventually. Let the professionals who are part of the track scene have their due process before we run these people to the gallows?

FlagShare
20NeilLisaDonStephenLikeReply

Ken

Ken
9 hours ago

Talia did not win by a 7m margin. Does this mean the stewards set her up to loose by not giving her a big enough handicap? A handicap race is pretty weird. I could win the Stawell Gift given an appropriate handicap and a friendly steward.

FlagShare
11MaureenjeffJorvikIlanaLikeReply

Bronson

Bronson
9 hours ago

Stewards must owe bookies some cash after being left red faced.

FlagShare
12RowanMaureenMikeIlanaLikeReply

ALLAN

ALLAN
10 hours ago

Stupid sport where monetary rewards are the reward for inconsistent running and those who go flat out every race receive negligible reward.

FlagShare
8EthanIanBradPhillipLikeReply

vince

vince
10 hours ago

@ALLAN That's how we run the country, you just worked it out?  lol

FlagShare
13BradMaureenBradJorvikLikeReply

barry

barry
10 hours ago

So she ran poorly in one race but then won another and the stewards fine her for “inconsistent running”!  Great way to improve the image of the sport.

We read on and find their was a death in the family the day before the first race and then in the race she won it was a "head to head" win. In any competition when one has an opponent right with you near the end sometimes that little extra effort comes out,

FlagShare
18FelicityMaureenIanBradLikeReply

Neil

Neil
6 hours ago

@barry A little extra, 7 metre, effort obviously!

FlagShare
1RobLikeReply

Steve

Steve
10 hours ago

The awkward interview with her immediately after he race said it all. Massively tainted victory. Her coach has now produced the last three winner!

FlagShare
19EthanIansamRobLikeReply

David

David
10 hours ago

Has She been tanking?  

FlagShare
10RobsueNeilJosephLikeReply

Neil

Neil
11 hours ago

Good on her, and so what if she uses the same Dr as the Essendon Football Club

FlagShare
7RobMikeRyanKraigLikeReply

Ange Kenos

Ange Kenos
9 hours ago

@Neil what a disgraceful remark

FlagShare
14SamMaureenShannanGaryLikeReply

John

John
17 hours ago

So she won the Stawell Gift off 13 metres at the age of 15. Go you good thing. Until proven otherwise beyond doubt I am thinking another Betty. Amazing that a 15 year old might improve quickly, or grow quickly or even develop an irritating attitude quickly.

FlagShare
9SIMONEMaureenEres OodIlanaLikeReply

Bonny

Bonny
9 hours ago

@Lealie. Ahhhh. Thanks for the explanation. The handicap wasn't make very obvious in the article (wasn't to me, anyhoo).

FlagShare
1MickstaLikeReply

David T

David T
9 hours ago

@John not likely ... so she ran 13.696 sec for 107 meters .... be lucky if she could even make the final of her age group in the Aust Jnr Champs, let alone place.

FlagShare
11MattEthanMarcsueLikeReply

Ethan

Ethan
5 hours ago

This time wouldn't even get you to a heat in her age group at the Aust Jnr Champs. It is outside the qualifying time.

FlagShare
LikeReply

Adrian

Adrian
2 hours ago

@David T @John  my daughter runs 13.40 for 100m and she's 13. there are girls in her age group that run under 13 seconds for 100m. For a 15YO, her time is on the slow side. no doubt this was not on the level.

FlagShare
1EthanLikeReply

Chad

Chad
18 hours ago

If it looks like a fish, and it smells like a fish, it is a fish.  

FlagShare
22IansamMattEthanLikeReply

Heather

Heather
18 hours ago

So if they thought she improved 7m after her heat run, maybe official's should have the right to adjust a handicap after the heats.

FlagShare
8PaulRobertHayleydavidLikeReply

Michael

Michael
10 hours ago

They can't change once the meeting starts

FlagShare
2L.B.ianLikeReply

Leesa

Leesa
18 hours ago

In case anyone is interested in the actual facts....

The race at Ararat that is causing the uproar was in fact a no penalty race. Talias result in that race in no way had any bearing on her handicap for Stawell. She has been running and winning races for years and is a very dedicated hard training athlete. If she was going to 'play dead' as one of you has put it, why on earth would she do so in the one race that had no impact on her handicap at Stawell!

Take a step back and look at how you are speaking about a 15 year old teenager who has worked her guts out to win today's race!!

FlagShare
55BruceShaneSamruthLikeReply

Anthony

Anthony
8 hours ago

@Leesa  I though most teenage sensations would be fairly inconsistent in big events particularly in running. Surely the book makers should have realised this.

FlagShare
2BruceLeesaLikeReply

Adrian

Adrian
4 hours ago

@Leesa  Please, anyone involved in pro running knows what went on. O'Dwyer's got a system worked out that's landed his stable 3 in a row.

Worse still, the other runners also know what went on as well

FlagShare
3EthanIanRobLikeReply

Leesa

Leesa
3 hours ago

You can think what you like, the fact is you're wrong.

FlagShare
LikeReply

Adrian

Adrian
2 hours ago

@Leesa  No I'm not and deep down you know it.

FlagShare
1EthanLikeReply

Michael

Michael
1 hour ago

@Adrian @Leesa stable you say... so these girls are just horses to bet on... funny how money can turn anything into a nasty event that uses and abuses others for its own interests

FlagShare
LikeReply

Ethan

Ethan
3 hours ago

Didn't run the 100 at:

All schools state champs

Aths Vic country champs

Aths Vic state champs

Little aths region/state champs

I'm not saying that she herself is constructing anything, but to not think the crew around her have been setting this up and intentionally keeping her away from scratch races is implausible.

FlagShare
LikeReply

Ethan

Ethan
2 hours ago

In addition to explore that position further. There are many many young athletes in this region and state wide that through dedication, hard work by both themselves and coaching staff achieve amazing results pushing themselves as hard as they can from scratch.

The question mark appears that if this has been intentionally constructed, what kind of coaching staff/adults think this is appropriate to steer, manoeuvre and direct a kid in this way.

FlagShare
LikeReply

Michael

Michael
1 hour ago

@Ethan the type that know the whole "betting" on teens running in a race like they are horses is a straight up sham

The fact is take away the betting and the dirty money and you then have no need for handicaps or "strategies" and you then are left with just a pure and simple joy for running

Of course if that was the case , races like this would not exist as it would be easier to just go to the nationals where the real running occurs.

FlagShare
LikeReply

Raymond

Raymond
19 hours ago

Just 12 days ago, the 15-year-old, Talia Martin was eliminated in the heats of the Ararat Gift, a sub-par performance she put down to her distress at the recent death of her aunt.

“She ran a particular time and when she got here she ran seven metres quicker which is more than most runners improve in a lifetime,” chief steward Brian Marantelli said.

“In our sport that’s called improvement at an extreme range – with an extreme range being four metres, so she was well off the chart in terms of improvement in a short space of time.

FlagShare
9IanNeilAdelinaianLikeReply

Paul

Paul
14 hours ago

@Raymond So your post here is for all the people that didn't read the story and went straight to the comments?  Or are you offering some insight I'm missing?

FlagShare
24LeesaSamaraMattAnneLikeReply

Art

Art
20 hours ago

The history of the Gift at Stawell and many other gold field gift townships were born in shadiness, dodgy bookies, handicappers on the take and runners with their cards close to their chests. Why on earth do have all this silliness tonight; ridiculously pious and pretentious gibberish, grasping at the straws of deceit and improper activity? It's all over, we have a worthy winner.....so get over it, or get the Nikes out and hit the pavement.

FlagShare
11StevedavidAlexRosemaryLikeReply

Shaz

Shaz
20 hours ago

@Art blame trump!!!!!

FlagShare
3MattAnnCALikeReply

Shaz

Shaz
20 hours ago

art so you think she won fairly? Or not?

FlagShare
4DeanAndrewChadChrisLikeReply

Sarah

Sarah
19 hours ago

@Art  "The history of the Gift at Stawell and many other gold field gift townships were born in shadiness, dodgy bookies, handicappers on the take and runners with their cards close to their chests."........

Seems nothing has changed in well over 100 years.........

FlagShare
4IanCarlyAlexDeanLikeReply

charley

charley
20 hours ago

Was there any betting on this races?

FlagShare
1DeanLikeReply

Corey

Corey
20 hours ago

@Shaz Then it wouldn't be a handicap.

FlagShare
LikeReply

Bruce

Bruce
21 hours ago

"She revealed afterwards the death of her aunty on the eve of the Ararat race had impacted her performance dramatically."
I am sorry is everyone criticising her saying this event would not affect thm???

Give th ekid a break!

FlagShare
26ruthSIMONEchristineIanLikeReply

Scott

Scott
21 hours ago

Honestly how much credibility is in a race where people are off different starts? If it was that big a problem suspend her from running.

FlagShare
1MeganLikeReply

David

David
20 hours ago

Scott your basically saying that the melbn cup has no credibility either. Its a handicap race here we use distance and in the cup we use weight to handicap the very best and make them perform at the highest level to gain a victory against a competitive field.

FlagShare
7HayleyEddyJustinNevilleLikeReply

Shane

Shane
21 hours ago

What a shame, a 15 year old girl has been coaxed into this approach. In years to come she will wish she never had the $40k... these are issues that create lifelong stains.

FlagShare
8MattRobertCarlydarrenLikeReply

Art

Art
21 hours ago

@Shane ....I have a far bigger problem with the 'stains' Donald Trump is planting in bogan Aussie brains! .....for God's sake leave this talented child alone!

FlagShare
2MariePeterLikeReply

Art

Art
20 hours ago

@Shaz Sharon, Trump would say it was fixing hands down.....and he knows all about it!

FlagShare
LikeReply

Stephen

Stephen
19 hours ago

@Art @Shane Art, you'll be blaming Abbott next

FlagShare
4RobertdavidGlendaDeanLikeReply

Mark

Mark
8 hours ago

@Art @Shane Trump 2016!

FlagShare
1KraigLikeReply

rob

rob
7 hours ago

@Art @Shane  What has Trump got to do with it ! Bogan comment

FlagShare
LikeReply

Rob

Rob
21 hours ago

Why do people care about a race that's essentially fixed? All it goes to show is that the people deciding the start distance got it wrong if it isn't a dead heat between all of them. Don't get why people care about a race won by someone who will innevidibly never represent Australia in Track and Field

FlagShare
3AlexMeganChadLikeReply

John

John
17 hours ago

@Rob Like Cathy Freeman say? Please read the story again

FlagShare
LikeReply

Brendan

Brendan
21 hours ago

The real money is on the punt, check the bookies and you will find the answer

FlagShare
13MattMIchaelNeilJosephLikeReply

Alison

Alison
21 hours ago

Either way I think she's stuffed. People will remember her if she is found to have cheated, and If she didn't cheat her name will be tarnished anyway.

FlagShare
7JosephRobertdarrenDeanLikeReply

Erica

Erica
21 hours ago

Not the best way to start career

FlagShare
13MattJosephRobertMeganLikeReply

Don

Don
21 hours ago

'Running dead' has been made into an art-form over the years

FlagShare
10RobMattJosephRobertLikeReply

andrew

andrew
22 hours ago

what a joke...

no credibility and hardly any interest in it these days due to what a joke it is...

FlagShare
7NeilJosephDeanChadLikeReply

Art

Art
22 hours ago

I wouldn't think that a 15 yr old would have 'the smarts' quite yet, well done Talia!

FlagShare
10mikMariePeterMarjLikeReply

Peter

Peter
9 hours ago

@Art they have coaches for what then? "Just run real fast in a straight line". No, they have them for tactics.

FlagShare
2MattCarlyLikeReply

Mark

Mark
22 hours ago

Take away that unfairly gained headstart and you'd find a very ordinary time.

FlagShare
12MattRobertCarlyDeanLikeReply

Aaron

Aaron
22 hours ago

The race has no credibility because she had a head start on others. It's like horse racing, it should be all horses carrying the same weight and best horse wins. Forget all this handicap rubbish.

FlagShare
25samruthGerryJosephLikeReply

ross

ross
22 hours ago

if the handicap system worked each race would end in a 8 way dead heat

FlagShare
20samMattGerryJosephLikeReply

Bandy

Bandy
21 hours ago

@ross Precisely, well said...

FlagShare
2AlexJenniferLikeReply

David

David
20 hours ago

No no no its supposedly about performing on your day at your peak. Its a handicap race. Very popular across many sports with non greater than the melbn cup.

FlagShare
LikeReply

John

John
17 hours ago

@ross A handicap is a summary of what you have run, not what you will run. That would be fortune telling

FlagShare
1AlexLikeReply

cootha

cootha
23 hours ago

Is that why they call it a gift?

FlagShare
10CarlyChadChrisSerenaLikeReply

Michael

Michael
23 hours ago

Sadly money and sport do not mix - it brings out the worst

FlagShare
12SueCarlyCorryAndrewLikeReply

Mike

Mike
22 hours ago

@Michael Bet bettah

FlagShare
LikeReply

Mark

Mark
23 hours ago

Should a child be competing in a professional event, an why can I get a 30 meter handicap agin

FlagShare
8RobertChrisAdelinaBandyLikeReply

Rudy

Rudy
23 hours ago

It's a Handicap race. She beat the Handicapper more than the others. The race has no credibility for that reason. Run them all off scratch.

FlagShare
41samBenRobertlizLikeReply

Mark

Mark
22 hours ago

Usain bolt an his sister win every year

FlagShare
1MikeLikeReply

Stephen

Stephen
23 hours ago

Hope we aren't expecting flooding in the next couple of days. The sandbags appear to be in Stawell.

FlagShare
1MikeLikeReply

Leon

Leon
23 hours ago

Wow! Controversy over a race where humans and gambling is involved. Who'd have thought.

FlagShare
25samMattRobertAlanLikeReply

Mike

Mike
22 hours ago

@Leon Bit like cricket and football.

FlagShare
2Schneider ElectricStefanLikeReply

Leon

Leon
21 hours ago

@Mike @Leon  Never bet on something that can talk.

FlagShare
LikeReply

John

John
23 hours ago

Oh Boo Hoo she`s just a great runner, suck it up oldies.

FlagShare
8DianeAndrewAndrewallanLikeReply

Michael

Michael
23 hours ago

@John Yep, and the "oldies" and a damn sight smarter than you "youngen's" realise and can smell a ring-in a mile away

FlagShare
27MIchaelRobertChasAndrewLikeReply

Ian B

Ian B
23 hours ago

@John Why did they fine her? In my book that was their nice way of telling her they thought she cheated.

FlagShare
19RobertChasTinaAndrewLikeReply

Malcolm

Malcolm
22 hours ago

@John

Let's see if she ever wins a race again. And, how long before she fades off into the sunset.

FlagShare
6MattAndrewTraceyChrisLikeReply

Edward

Edward
23 hours ago

Handicapping shouldn't exist in any form of racing. The results should be based on your ability, not on the ability of the stewards to work out a handicap.

FlagShare
40samruthPenelope PitstopRobertLikeReply

G

G
23 hours ago

@Edward Or the integrity of the handicappers....

FlagShare
4TraceyMargaretAndrewMikeLikeReply

Michael

Michael
23 hours ago

Reminds me of a 10 pin bowling league I was a member of,  In the pre-competition games to establish players handicaps quite a few would average around 150 'ish.

Their handicaps were based on this score and them "whammo" the competition started and the same players would bowl a consistent 180+.  And there wasn't even money involved!

FlagShare
7ChadSarahDionDanielLikeReply

Glenda

Glenda
9 hours ago

@Michael Happens at golf clubs all the time. Handicaps blow out just before club championships...then whammo!

FlagShare
2NeilRobertLikeReply

Mark

Mark
23 hours ago

Her handicap seemed outrageous. If it can be proven she manipulated the handicap, she should be stripped of the prize.

FlagShare
16samRobertAndrewChadLikeReply

John@Trademark

John@Trademark
22 hours ago

@Mark How do you prove intent?

How do you disprove her reason?

How do you prove or disprove a given condition?

No much easier to remove the handicap system .

FlagShare
1GLikeReply

Mike

Mike
22 hours ago

@Mark And the handicappers jailed for fraud.

FlagShare
LikeReply

John

John
1 day ago

Cheating in these handicap races has been happening forever and everyone knows it. Big money can be made on the punt.These events should be banned.

FlagShare
18samRobertClayAlanLikeReply

sue

sue
1 day ago

Suspicious I'd say

Learn to play the game and u to can win

FlagShare
11MargaretMikeMartyWinsomeLikeReply

Pam

Pam
1 day ago

My husband ran pro for over 20 years, then became a Steward, he says in the History of Stawell "dark horses" have won the Stawell Gift at 20/1, been happening for over 100 years, runners would run "dead" for years to get a better handicap, Stewards have watched athletes like "Hawks" you used to catch some and miss some. Sour grapes by Marantelli (chief Steward) who also "ran dead" when he was a youngster, same as his father did before he ran second in the Stawell Gift in 1948.

FlagShare
31LeesaRobMattRobertLikeReply

sue

sue
23 hours ago

So what your saying is play dead and you win

Just because it happen in the past doesn't make it right

FlagShare
12RobertJTMartyChrisLikeReply

Art

Art
22 hours ago

@Pam Good on yer Pam, at last someone in the know!

FlagShare
4RobClayShaneMartynLikeReply

Davo

Davo
1 day ago

Great effort,

She deserves it.

Most of us commenting on this post are to lazy that our keyboards need replacing

FlagShare
6AndrewAndrewOMGWTFElizabethLikeReply

Neil

Neil
23 hours ago

@Davo No - we saw the race, saw the massive handicap she was given and knew about the earlier controversy.

Not lazy. Just very, very, very suspicious about this win, coming as it did off a huge handicap.

FlagShare
8RobertAndrewMargaretMartyLikeReply

Shane

Shane
21 hours ago

You appear to be too lazy to use all the o's you're supposed to

FlagShare
2NeilClayLikeReply

Clay

Clay
9 hours ago

@Shane It appears Davo must also have been too lazy to read the article before commenting. Or maybe he didn't understand it?

FlagShare
LikeReply

Danielle

Danielle
1 day ago

All over a race, incredible!.

FlagShare
1paulLikeReply

Neil

Neil
23 hours ago

@Danielle You'll be amazed at what people will do for $40,000.

FlagShare
5AndrewSteveShaneDionLikeReply

Sarah

Sarah
1 day ago

Sounds like a one trick pony.... stacked the deck to get a good position, which pretty much made her unbeatable.... then cleaned up. Cheating is... cheating. But guess that criticism of her and her coach's 'strategy' won't have any impact on someone like her, who is prepared to do anything to win. Shallow victory that she will find hard to repeat?

FlagShare
19samMattRobertClayLikeReply

Ian

Ian
1 day ago

It is so blatant it's unbelievable I very much doubt that she deserves that money. If it was a horse race there would be an inquiry

FlagShare
23samRobMattRobertLikeReply

Ross

Ross
1 day ago

If that's true, that is blatant cheating and that young girl knows it. The trainer should be banned and the gift awarded to the second place getter.

FlagShare
29samRobMattRobertLikeReply

G

G
23 hours ago

@Ross What is true is that her auntie passed away the day before the heats in Ararat - fact. What she said is that this event affected her emotionally to the extent she couldn't focus properly on the race (Ararat) and got run out in the heats. What's so hard to accept about that?

Everything else, including this ridiculous penalty, is conjecture and not any sort of proof at all. If it was proof - with real evidence of cheating - she should simply be disqualified altogether. So, no real proof so no penalty should apply.

FlagShare
LikeReply

Daniel

Daniel
22 hours ago

So emotional that she went to Ararat and ran anyway? Doesn't gell. If the Aunt died this week, I'm tipping she'd be claiming that as the reason she ran so fast.

Either way, what about performances prior to that? Are there any that contributed to her handicap? Surely you've got to have a history of performance longer than a single event. How do those runs compare? That's where the answer has to lie.

FlagShare
8RobertAndrewShaneDonLikeReply

CRAIG

CRAIG
18 hours ago

To put it in perspective, it's like Dangerfield playing after a family death and getting 1 possession, it's when it's so far out of the normal range that suspicions are justified.

FlagShare
1AndrewLikeReply

Ken

Ken
8 hours ago

@G I have a bridge to sell you!

FlagShare
LikeReply

Dennis

Dennis
1 day ago

Dont allow betting! Why would anyone risk lots of money on what a 15 year old does?

FlagShare
7AndrewPhil (the original)DeanMichaelLikeReply

Ian B

Ian B
1 day ago

Same trainer has won 3 years running, time to investigate the trainer I think. Methinks he knows how to cheat the handicapping system.

FlagShare
35samRobMattRobertLikeReply

G

G
23 hours ago

@Ian B Huh? Maybe he's just a good trainer?

On the basis of your argument, Bart Cummings (RIP) would have been the greatest 'cheat' in the history of horse racing simply because he was the greatest trainer.

FlagShare
LikeReply

Seamus

Seamus
22 hours ago

@G @Ian B  Bart was rubbed out for cheating.

FlagShare
3MattRobertShaneLikeReply

Belle

Belle
22 hours ago

There's more to these industries than the public knows.

FlagShare
LikeReply

Daniel

Daniel
22 hours ago

I wouldn't look to horseracing for examples of virtuous success. Surely you can find a better example in pro boxing...

FlagShare
3ShaneDonMartynLikeReply

Martin

Martin
1 day ago

Takes the shine off of it. Next we'll have a 6 year old winning the gift. If the Women's gift is now in then hands of 13-15 year old's what is the point. This Ballarat crew know how to play the game.

FlagShare
8RobertShaneDionPhil (the original)LikeReply

George

George
1 day ago

A handicap race for able bodied people, so strange

FlagShare
11RobertClayjimJimLikeReply

Greg

Greg
1 day ago

Good job ... Wait till she grows up - at the moment she looks like she's stuck in a ten year old's body

FlagShare
LikeReply

Bradley

Bradley
1 day ago

@Greg Yes, when she grows up she will learn that playing dead is what children do.

Unlike Young Hale, who went against the grown ups and played fair, and fairly came third. Wait until HE grows up.

FlagShare
15MIchaelRobertAndrewChrisLikeReply

GARRY

GARRY
1 day ago

It wasn't only from Ararat. The times she ran on Saturday and today were that much better than all her other times that only one conclusion can be offered. This is the first time she has been trying. It's been going on for years with the men but no one has improved that dramatically. She will never win another professional race.

FlagShare
29samRobMattRobertLikeReply

Fred

Fred
1 day ago

Do they drug test at Stawell?

FlagShare
4MattChaspaulNormanLikeReply

Peter

Peter
1 day ago

@Fred It's Stawell, not the Essendon Football Club!

FlagShare
6ShaneMartynCurtisMarkLikeReply

hsm299

hsm299
22 hours ago

Yes they do drug test the winners at Stawell, and as a close friend and member of the POD Squad I can confirm that she passed easily.

FlagShare
1MartynLikeReply

Glenn

Glenn
21 hours ago

Wouldn't think results were complete yet? Takes weeks!

FlagShare
1ShaneLikeReply

Marty

Marty
22 hours ago

So no plasma injections like Hawthorn Football club then?

FlagShare
1JillLikeReply

Glenn

Glenn
23 hours ago

Yes ASADA were there, not sure who they tested.

FlagShare
LikeReply

email

email
1 day ago

Her story sounds plausible to me, tell me what I missed here??

FlagShare
9OMGWTFElizabethMichaelBartLikeReply

Rod

Rod
1 day ago

@email improving 7 mtrs is ridiculous unless you had the potential and were laying dead to not start from the back markers gaining an advantage you otherwise would not have had.

FlagShare
38RobMattSueClayLikeReply

MIchael

MIchael
5 hours ago

@email even given the issues of her Aunt passing away and her then running poorly, there is not a snowballs chance in hell she ran 7mtrs slower at Ararat unless it was deliberate. Its like saying she ran at Ararat backwards while looking over her shoulder, and then ran normally at Stawell. Her trainer, who also happens to be her father has made her "run dead" at previous meets to get a good handicap. As the Steward said, using horse racing as a comparison, its like a horse placing in a maiden race in the country and coming out the next week and winning a Cox Plate.

FlagShare
LikeReply

Penelope Pitstop

Penelope Pitstop
5 hours ago

Peter O'Dwyer is her trainer but he is not her father.

He is the father of last years winner, Grace.

FlagShare
LikeReply

MIchael

MIchael
5 hours ago

@Penelope Pitstop Peter O'Dwyer is her father, he has trained that last 3 winners

FlagShare
LikeReply

Leesa

Leesa
3 hours ago

Peter is NOT her father!

FlagShare
LikeReply

Rod

Rod
1 day ago

heard of match fixing or playing dead?

FlagShare
16samMattClayChasLikeReply

Bruce

Great Effort. Can't say the same about the judges. Sounds like they are from two centuries ago.

Andrew

Bruce and what are your credentials to judge this situation Bruce?

Bruce

Awesome effort young lady!

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum