PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

June 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Women's winner OGA?

Women's winner OGA?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Women's winner OGA? on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:21 pm

oldman

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Surely she was still OGA? So the stewards could do what they liked with her handicap? Well that was always the way it used to be outlined with OGA athletes? Any place any time? Given the fear of the rapid improvement of young athletes- clearly in more recent times that hasn't been such a fear?

2 Re: Women's winner OGA? on Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:42 am

DDog

The handicapper got it wrong in the Womens Final but it wasn't the first time and it wont be the last. I remember watching her win the U/17 girls finals last year in brilliant fashion and thought she had the potential to one day take out the big one. Evidently the handicapper wasn't watching or forgot when he gave her such a generous handicap. I also remember Davina Strauss being rehandicapped after the heats when she was a commanding heat winner. Then to run so badly at Ararat prior to Stawell. Ah, the the intrigue of Pro running.

3 Re: Women's winner OGA? on Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:52 am

flashest1

"INTRIGUE" !!!

4 Re: Women's winner OGA? on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:35 pm

DDog

Very intruiging Flashest when a girl who should be off at best 8 or 9 metres gets 13 metres. wouldn't you say?

5 Re: Women's winner OGA? on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:49 pm

Fishbowls

I think in all of this there is a big winner and a big loser. The winner the obvious but it will always be shaded with questions of how this is allowed to happen. Did the system allow this to happen. Most likely. Did a coach take advantage of this most likely. Is a girl being scrutinized for her Victory. Seems the case.
The media keeps saying, is this bad for the sport. I think so. But the real question is what does it hurt the most. Well it hurts the internal athletes of the pro racing scene and those who are willing to give it a try. Yes there where a small minority happy with this result. But talking and listening to the majority of athletes at the track yesterday after the win, said it had put a horrible taste in there mouths. And there the ones who to put there hands in there pockets each week and help fund this organization. Hopefully this isn't the outcome for the future of the sport. Make it fair. And not allow this to happen again. My 2 cents.

6 Re: Women's winner OGA? on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:54 pm

flashest1

I agree with you 100% DDog. Is the mens limit 10 metres, if so surely the womens limit should be the same!

7 Re: Women's winner OGA? on Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:16 pm

Hollywood Central

Time and time again young athletes on big marks. There is to much inconsistency in the handicapping . 15 yr old girl almost getting the limit . What happens when she improves? What happened to earning your mark ? The handicappers have lost it . OGA . Who cares , too late now .
In the men's they pull TSM .5 for running fast yet they give Hale 1m lift after running 10.3

The handicapper gives these inflated marks to maybe keep the kid interested and competitive . I think the woman's gift if it's to hold the same prize money it should be a 10m limit

8 Re: Women's winner OGA? on Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:28 pm

cantrun

Problem with a 10mt limit is a lack of numbers.... especially if the field is lifted. Sponsors probably not to happy to see 6 or so heats. I do agree though... system needs tinkering. At the end of the day, she ran off the mark she was given, but at what price for the sport? If I was the coach or athlete I'd be pretty disgusted with myself with the way it played out. Still probably win coach of the year again.... and female performance of the year.

9 Re: Women's winner OGA? on Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:18 pm

DDog

I was told earlier in the year after not winning a race in three years by this handicapper that I had made a monkey of him. Gee Talia you have made a gorilla of him.

10 Re: Women's winner OGA? on Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:23 pm

Baltimore Jack

Not talking your average zoo style gorilla.
POD made him look like the biggest monkey of all time.

You really did it this time, Daryl King Kong Nettleton.

11 Re: Women's winner OGA? on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:27 pm

chopper

I think a totality of the performances should be looked at
Ballarat 120m off 11.5 ran heat time of 14.3
Also made final of the 70m U20 7.72 off mark 14m
Stonnington 100m 12.4 off 9.5m out in heat
Geelong 12.2 off 9.5m made 100m Gift final. Finished 4th
Euroa did not enter
Bendigo did not enter
Ran Ararat 13.4 off 22 in the 120m U20 but 12.4 off 9.5m in the womens 100m
Field lifted 1.5m for Stawell
In actual fact other 11.5 runners were lifted more than ms Martin
SO runs 13.7 to win the stawell gift
I calculate that to be 4.5m faster than her best 120m time this year

For comparison Exum ran 14.3 at Keilor semi made final ran 14.5 She had 8m. Got 1.75m lift for stawell Ran 13.7 so her improvement was similar

In the men Sanderson 12.6 off 6.25m at Keilor semi ran slower in final. Managed to run 12.2 at Stawell after going back to 5.75m (the field wnt up 0.5m he went back 0.5m for running 21.30 (that faster than Luke Stevens has done this year). So improved 4.5m same as Martin

All would be the same. I dont see a 2.9% improvement on her best time for the last 6 weeks as being inconsistent with what the pros are about - especially as others have done the same.

But I do think 5% 0ver your previous 6-8 weeks time should earn a disqualification (or adjustment after heat)

12 Re: Women's winner OGA? on Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:04 pm

Slowcoach

Well said chopper, the most sensible statement II have seen on this subject

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum