PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ararat Gift
Today at 4:03 pm by GLPR

» Brighton Open Gift
Today at 2:38 pm by Admin

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Today at 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Today at 10:35 am by Admin

» Northcote Women’s winners handicap
Yesterday at 3:34 pm by FortySevenThirty

» Northcote results
Yesterday at 11:18 am by Todd Ireland

» Northcote Gift
Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:52 pm by untouchables

» Northcote Womens 100m
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:23 pm by Thatsthestats

» Bay Sheffield Novice and Restricted race eligibility
Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:54 pm by Admin

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Sandy McGregor pays for Kenyans to run at Stawell

Sandy McGregor pays for Kenyans to run at Stawell

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.stawelltimes.com.au/story/3810852/melbourne-cup-winning-owner-sandy-mcgregor-pays-for-kenyans-to-come-to-stawell-gift/

Sandy McGregor pays for Kenyans to run at Stawell

Stawell Times
March 24, 2016

Last year's Melbourne Cup-winning owner Sandy McGregor has brought two talented Kenyan runners to Australia to race in the mile at the Stawell Gift.

McGregor has personally funded Edwin K. Melly and Nicholas Kipkoech to fly to Australia to compete at Stawell this Easter weekend.

Melly is an 800-metre runner who won bronze at the world youth championships in 2012 and has done well in Europe. He is looking to compete more in the 1500m internationally and will use the Herb Hedemann mile race (1600m) at Stawell as part of that move.

It is Kipkoech's second visit to Stawell having raced there in 2012 when he contested the mile and the 550m.

When his horse Prince Of Penzance won the Melbourne Cup last year McGregor said it was a victory for western Victoria and he took the horse and cup to the local pub to celebrate.

His push to bring the Kenyans to Stawell was further part of him trying to help support the area and promote the race.

Several years ago when Australia's most famous footrace was in financial distress and faced relocating or being abandoned, McGregor was one of the wealthy benefactors who came to the financial rescue of the race.

Since then he wanted to make the gift about more than the sprint and approached athlete agent Brian Roe to bring out talented runners for the circular races on the Central Park track.

"Sandy's family retains significant agricultural interests in the Stawell region and whilst he has enjoyed great success in business, such as his logistics company, QLS, he is a local boy at heart and genuinely wishes to see the Stawell carnival thrive – and through the circular races as much as the traditional straight running events," Roe said.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

DizzyRunner

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Fascinating.
Kipkoech has -14 in the 800m and has run 1.46 this year.
The ceiling for the event is 1:50. This is going to get very exciting.

oldman

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Yeap could be one of the fastest 800s of all time this year

oldman

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
Not quite as quick as I thought! Whoops my bad!

jknott123

How can the val put a 1.46 800m runner in the field on the day of competition we have to enter by a certain date we keep this sport going from November to April travelling hundreds of ks at a huge cost I can assure you if my boy lonain Burnett had been beaten by the Kenyan after running the race of his life in the final the val would have heard me. Well done to the winner he with lonain put on a great race at Stawell by regular runners in val meets that's what pro running is about I have no problem with inviting runners into the heiderman mostly non val members but leave the other events to athletes that keep the val alive

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum