PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» VAL CALENDAR 2017/2018
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm by youngy

» 2018 BUNBURY GIFT
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am by AussiePro

» Bridge of Allan Highland Games
Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm by JH

» Stand Up Comedy debut
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm by youngy

» St Andrews (Scotland)
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am by JH

» Mull Highland Games.
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm by Willo the Whisp

» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Stubbs wins 100m & Mitchell wins 400m Melbourne IAAF Meet

Stubbs wins 100m & Mitchell wins 400m Melbourne IAAF Meet

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/03/04/stubbs-closing-olympic-100m-mark

Stubbs closing in on Olympic 100m mark

Aaron Stubbs has Rio firmly in his sights heading into the IAAF World Challenge meet in Melbourne. (AAP)

AAP
SBS.com.au
4th March 2016

Australian Aaron Stubbs has the Olympic 100m qualifying mark firmly in his sights heading into the IAAF World Challenge meet in Melbourne.

With the benefit of hindsight, Aaron Stubbs acknowledges that Stawell Gift success came too early in his sprinting career.

The Queenslander won the famous handicap event as a teenager back in 2009, pocketed $40,000 in prize money and just assumed the good times - and the fast times - would keep coming.

For more than five years they mostly didn't.

The turning point finally came at last year's national championships when an injured Stubbs watched on from the stands in Brisbane as Josh Clarke claimed the 100m title in a time of 10.19 seconds.

"It didn't look that fast, it didn't feel like it was something that I couldn't do," 25-year-old Stubbs told AAP.

"I felt I should have been out there and I would at least be in the top couple of guys in that race if I trained properly.

"I decided there was no point just saying it, it was time to go out there and do it.

"So I set myself the target of qualifying for Rio and I'm not too far off that at the moment."

Stubbs linked up with Brisbane-based coach Stacey Taurima - the brother of Sydney Olympic long jump silver medallist Jai Taurima - and got serious.

"The problem was that I hadn't been training like an Olympian but I was still expecting high-performance results and that just doesn't happen," said the Queenslander, who had previously spent plenty of time training alongside beach sprinters.

"It's like any career - if you don't put the work in, there's a 99 per cent chance you won't get the results."

Fitter, faster and more flexible than ever before after a full off-season of training, Stubbs smashed his 100m personal best with a flying effort of 10.27 in Brisbane in November.

He has already lowered that PB twice this year with runs of 10.24 and 10.23 and now has the Rio Olympic qualifying mark of 10.16 firmly in his sights heading into Saturday's IAAF World Challenge meet in Melbourne.

Clarke has already bettered the Olympic qualifier, but he will sit out the Melbourne meet due to a strained hamstring.

The 100m field at Lakeside Stadium boasts a distinct Stawell flavour, including three former Gift winners in Stubbs, Josh Ross and Mitchell Williams-Swain.

Stubbs has also entered the 200m where he will come up against Alex Hartmann, who bettered the Olympic standard last month in Canberra.

Other feature events include the men's 800m, where the presence of world record holder and Olympic champion David Rudisha from Kenya should help drag Australians Luke Mathews, Joshua Ralph and Alex Rowe through to fast times.

Rising Australian star Damien Birkinhead will take on big Kiwi Tommy Walsh in the men's shot put, while in-form local duo Anneliese Rubie and Morgan Mitchell square off in the women's 400m.

Last edited by Admin on Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

Admin

Admin
Admin

Melbourne World Challenge - 5/03/2016
Lakeside Stadium

Men 100 Metre Open (Wind: 1.0)
1 Stubbs, Aaron Aus 10.34
2 Millar, Joseph Nzl 10.40
3 Williams-Swain, Mitchell Aus 10.50
4 Hartmann, Alexander Aus J10.50
5 Ross, Joshua Aus 10.57
6 Teltull, Rodman Plw 10.63
7 Jaworski, Benjamin Aus 10.64

Men 200 Metre Open (Wind -1.0)
1 Hartmann, Alexander Aus 20.76
2 Millar, Joseph Nzl 20.95
3 Bedford, Ryan Aus 21.26
4 Johns, Will Aus 21.41
5 Stevens, Luke Aus 21.44
6 Mitrevski, Christopher Aus 21.45

Women 400 Metre Open
1 Mitchell, Morgan Aus 52.16Q
2 Day, Christine Jam 52.68
3 Rubie, Anneliese Aus 52.89
4 Spencer, Kaliese Jam 53.12
5 Brennan, Monica Aus 53.52
6 Pekin, Lyndsay Aus 53.92
7 Gulli-Nance, Jess Aus 54.49
8 Lind, Samantha Aus 55.49

Men 800 Metre Open
1 Rudisha, David Ken 1:44.78
2 Mathews, Luke Aus 1:45.16Q
3 Gurr, James Aus 1:46.09
4 Ralph, Joshua Aus 1:47.30
5 Rowe, Alex Aus 1:47.48
6 Stenson, Dylan Aus 1:47.75
7 Yokota, Masato Jpn 1:47.81
8 Bol, Peter Aus 1:49.22
-- Ruben (pace), Harrison Aus DNF

Men 1500 Metre Open
1 Gregson, Ryan Aus 3:38.06
2 Magut, James Ken 3:40.03
3 Birmingham, Collis Aus 3:40.16
4 Speakman, Eric Nzl 3:40.26
5 Pyke, Adam Aus 3:40.62
6 Wright, Josh Aus 3:41.23
7 Fawthorpe, Tom Aus 3:41.49
8 Gusman, Jordan Aus 3:41.63
9 Jones, Rhys Aus 3:42.42
10 Roff, Jeremy Aus 3:44.34
11 Stapleton, Jack Aus 3:46.15
12 Dempsey, Matthew Aus 3:47.49
13 See, Marc Aus 3:49.17
-- Rotich (pace), Andrew Ken DNF

3 Great 400m win for Morgan Mitchell on Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:15 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.sportsfan.com.au/great-400m-win-for-morgan-mitchell/tabid/91/newsid/191356/default.aspx

Great 400m win for Morgan Mitchell

Source: AAP
Author: John Salvado
Saturday, March 05, 2016

Australian Morgan Mitchell has taken down crack Jamaican duo Christine Day and Kaliese Spencer to claim an impressive 400m victory at the Melbourne World Challenge meet.

The Victorian's winning time of 52.16 seconds marks the fourth time in five weeks she has bettered the Olympic qualifying mark of 52.20.

Day - who was fourth at last year's world championships in Beijing - made the early running, but the 21-year-old Mitchell was able to mow her down on Saturday in the final straight.

Day held on to finish second in 52.68 ahead of Australian Anneliese Rubie (52.89) and Spencer.

"I was expecting it, it's Christine Day for God's sake - she's amazing," said Mitchell.

"I thought 'she's gone past me so just try and hold on. Don't let her get ahead by too much and just try and chase, chase, chase' so that's what I did.

"It's amazing - a definite confidence booster.

"I know we are in season, they're out of season, so I am expecting a lot more from them.

"I am glad I am as fit as I am right now because it means, by the time the Olympics come, I can only get fitter and that's when they are at their fittest."

Mitchell set her PB of 51.81 last weekend.

The other standout performance on the track at Lakeside Stadium came from Luke Mathews, who slashed more than a second off his PB to finish second in the 800m in 1:45.16 behind Kenyan world record holder David Rudisha.

Mathews joined Jeff Riseley and Joshua Ralph as the third Australian to better the Rio Olympics qualifying standard.

"I knew it was going to be a pain train," said the 20-year-old Victorian.

"I thought there was going to be a pacemaker in it but also a second pacemaker in David Rudisha.

"I thought if I could get on, not think and just worry about looking at his heels, hopefully I would be able to hang on.

"Coming down the straight, everything lifted. The crowd was just so loud ... that was one of the best atmospheres and best experiences of my life."

Two-time Commonwealth champion Alana Boyd was a dominant winner of the women's pole vault with 4.71m.

Boyd went into the competition believing she had ceded her Oceania record to New Zealander Eliza McCartney, who had cleared 4.80m earlier in the day across the Tasman.

But as there were only two women's vaulters competing in Dunedin, McCartney's winning effort could not be ratified as a record.

Aaron Stubbs won the men's 100m in 10.34 seconds, despite lunging 10 metres before the finish line.

The short sprints were held on the back straight to take advantage of a slight tailwind and the unfamiliar markings on the track threw several of the competitors, including Stubbs, the 2009 Stawell Gift winner.

Commonwealth champion Eleanor Patterson claimed the women's high jump with 1.93m.

Other winners included Madeline Hills in the women's 3000m steeplechase, Ryan Gregson in the men's 1500m and Alex Hartmann in the men's 200m.

Damien Birkinhead suffered what looked a calf injury midway through the men's shot put which was won by New Zealander Tom Walsh.

Admin

Admin
Admin
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/morgan-mitchell-and-luke-mathews-prove-rio-credentials-at-melbourne-meet/news-story/726a407af4518b91dd2067e3544a42a8

Morgan Mitchell and Luke Mathews prove Rio credentials at Melbourne meet

By Scott Gullan
Sunday Herald Sun
5th March 2016

Morgan Mitchell scored a big win in the 400m at the IAAF World Challenge in Melbourne on Saturday night.

THEY’VE been the breakout performers of the summer and on Saturday night Morgan Mitchell and Luke Mathews confirmed they can be regarded as the real deal.

Mitchell’s makeover took a significant step forward when she took down two world-class Jamaicans in the 400m while Mathews pushed Olympic and world champion David Rudisha to the wire in the 800m at the IAAF World Challenge event in Melbourne.

In her biggest test to date, Mitchell stormed over the top of Christine Day in the final 70m to claim victory in an Olympic A-standard qualifying time of 52.16sec.

Day finished fourth at last year’s world championships and was also a bronze medallist at the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games.

She managed to hang onto second place in 52.68sec with reigning Australian champion Anneliese Rubie third in 52.89sec.

Jamaica’s Commonwealth 400m hurdles champion Kaliese Spencer finished fourth in 53.12sec.

Mitchell, who ran a personal best 51.81sec at last week’s Victorian championships, has dramatically changed her body, diet and outlook over the past six months since joining new coach Peter Fitzgerald.

Saturday night was confirmation the 21-year-old from Werribee has the potential to make an impact on the world stage.

“Its amazing and a good feeling (to beat the Jamaicans),” Mitchell said. “It’s a definite confidence booster, I know we are in season, they’re out of season so I am expecting a lot more from them (later).

“I am glad I am as fit as I am right now because it means by the time the Olympics come I can only get fitter and that’s when they’re at their fittest.

“I have been training a lot harder, watching what I have been eating, training more and focusing on my body and its actually felt like it’s all paying off.

“The last few years I didn’t think I had it but I have a new outlook on life, it’s a new year, a new me. It’s all coming together so I am happy.”

Mathews has also come out of the pack this season and now has his sights set on the Rio Olympics after clocking an A-standard qualifying time 1min45.16sec behind the Kenyan superstar.

There was a moment on the bend where the crowd at Lakeside Stadium thought the 20-year-old from Newport was a chance to claim Rudisha.

“I knew it was going to be a pain train,” Mathews said. “I thought if I can get on, not think, just worry about looking at his heels, hopefully I would be able to hang on.

“I thought going through 500, I thought I’ve got 300 metres of this left, just hold on, hold on, hold on.

“And then coming down the straight everything lifted, the crowd was just so loud, that was one of the best atmosphere, I mean I’ve run at the world juniors and run a few European races but that was the best experience of my life

“Going through 600 I thought he is vulnerable slightly but I was probably definitely wrong.

“That is the thing, if I think I can pass him then I’m 50 per cent there, I didn’t quite get him today, not that I’m going to say I’m going to get him in the future but hopefully some people around his range, hopefully get to Rio and do it then.”

In the men’s 1500m, Mathew’s training partner Ryan Gregson just failed to get the Olympic A-standard time winning in 3:38.06sec from Kenyan James Magut (3:40.03sec).

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum