PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

June 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » VRTA Points Awards Update

VRTA Points Awards Update

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 VRTA Points Awards Update on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:30 pm

K_Moore

Hi All,

Not long to go now before it's Easter Monday and we're all asking where the season went and talking about what we'll do differently next season.

Below are the top 10 in each award category for the season up until but excluding Geelong.
Also, the VRTA is seeking nominations for Outstanding Male, Female and Veteran Performances of the Year; Meeting of the Year; and Emerging Talent (a novice athlete at the start of the season, who had a break out year). If you have anyone or a meeting you'd like to nominate, please email me at secretary@vrta.org.au and the Committee will consider it.

We'll be finalising the date of the VRTA Presentation shortly, so stay tuned for further details.

Thanks and best wishes for the final weeks of the season!!

Katie and the VRTA Committee

Sprinter
Lawrence Coop   54
Nathan Riali   51
Noddy Angelakos   48
Tim Rosen   46
Cam Dunbar   45
Luke Stevens   37
Nick Repalust   34
Ed Ware   32
Dion Paull   32
Craig Foley   32

Female Athlete
Jessica Payne   61
Karly Taft   39
Celia Cosgriff   36
Keely Henderson   30
Chloe Sproule   27
Mikayla Dunn   24
Megan McMahon   24
Kayla Bunevicius   24
Sam Hargreaves   23
Tierra Exum   22
Kate Jones   22

Veteran Athlete
James Deane   43
Cam Dunbar   42
Greg Hilson   34
Shane Thiele   30
Darren Whittaker   29
Mandy Emmett   27
Craig Foley   27
Shane Quinn   26
Richard Wearmouth   25
Sean Quilty   22

Middle Distance Athlete
Cam Clayton   43
James Deane   29
Ryan Hage   27
Cody Williamson   26
Greg Hilson   21
Greg Mitchell   21
Ian Cayzer   20
Jack Doderico   20
Stefan Catalano   20
Ashley Kenshole   18
Lawrence Coop   18

Distance Athlete
Cam Clayton   59
Stefan Catalano   49
James Deane   34
Alex Bacalja   33
Ryan Hage   24
Mark Andrews   23
Joshua Sait   20
Greg Hilson   18
Oscar Robinson   16
Shane Thiele   16

2 Re: VRTA Points Awards Update on Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:15 pm

ShaneMcK

There are also points being recorded for Junior events for the first time in VAL/VRTA history...

Top 10 in each age group are as follows. Points will be kept secret until the night of the awards;

Under 17
LukeMitchell
TomGriffin
LACHLANMILLIGAN
JacksonHannah
NathanJones
BayleyDrummond
LucyMcCreedy
EdwardTassell
LeeTzilantonis
BaileyCoates
The top 2 are clearly ahead of the rest, but are only separated by 3 points! BUT if the 3rd place athlete wins Stawell and the top 2 do not make the final, then the current third place will win the overall points award. If 4th or 5th win Stawell and the top 3 do not make the final, then they will tie for first place.

Under 20
DanielRichardson
LeeTzilantonis
SarahHuntington
JulianHarris
BenjaminFarrell
HarrisonKerr
StephanieMundy
DarcyIreland
KierenBlizzard
RyanMcNamara
OliviaOwen
The top 10 are within 7 points of each other. There are 3 Under 20 races left this season, Euroa, Bendigo & Ararat. Still PLENTY of points up for grabs. The top 3 are only separated by 1 point!

Stonnington & Bendigo U20 120m attract double points (both races are $1,000)
Stawell U17 120 attracts double points (because it's Stawell)

Points are awarded as follows;
1st 6
2nd 3
3rd 2
4th to last 1

An athlete can ONLY be awarded points in their age group, NOT across age groups and ONLY for VAL races. Interstate races will not attract any points in this category. Technically, an Under 17 athlete, who also competes in Under 20, who can attract sufficient points in both age group COULD win both point's awards.

T: twitter.com/ShaneMcKenzie | C: Athletics Australia iCoach Profile
http://www.shanemckenzie.com

3 Re: VRTA Points Awards Update on Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:46 pm

GLPR

athlete of year must be clayton or rosen
rosen just ahead due to 3 gift wins. clayton can overtake at stawell

4 Re: VRTA Points Awards Update on Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:02 am

vicoutsider

I agree GLPR that Clayton and Rosen have both had standout seasons and that if they were to win a Stawell sash they would be deserving winners. Clayton much more than Rosen though, with all due respect to him, 3 Gift wins is an awesome effort, though surely a consideration needs to be given to the type of wins i.e. a group 1 or classic Gift win is maybe worth 2 group 3 Gift wins, yes/no/maybe? Or maybe that's just me...

Either way, all the top ten across all segments deserve to be there. My vote is Dunbar for athlete of the year if he picks up even 1 sash. His consistency is awe inspiring.

Well done to all so far and great job to the VRTA committee team!!!

5 Re: VRTA Points Awards Update on Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:32 am

DizzyRunner

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Let's not ignore the awesome consistency and several wins of the Catman, Catalano. If he manages two more wins and one is a big Bendigo or Stawell sash, he would have to be in the 'running'.

Fronties are runners too you know.

6 Re: VRTA Points Awards Update on Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:39 am

timrosen35

Thanks for the mention GLPR. And I agree Cam has had an exceptional season. I also think Lawrence Coop has had a standout season.

My nomination for emerging talent would be Keely Henderson. I think she started the season as a novice runner? And is now the Stonnington Women's champ. Great effort from her and coach Craig.
The best male performance so far is someone who did not win the race. Luke Stevens in the Yarra Ranges 300m. 
The rest I am undecided on for now.

7 Re: VRTA Points Awards Update on Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:21 pm

Hitman17

Tim has had a terrific year but according to the voting criteria is ineligible a he is front marker(front markers ineligible to win athlete of the year) IMO this currently leaves Cameron Clayton as the front runner by a long long way...

8 Re: VRTA Points Awards Update on Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:16 pm

vicoutsider

If that's true Hitman17, that's interesting...What is considered a 'front marker' in 70m-400m distances?? Over the 120m, i remember 8.5 - 10m used to be considered a frontie.. 7.5m in a gift can be a in the black or red depending on the field..

9 Re: VRTA Points Awards Update on Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:58 pm

Mex

Athlete of the year could easily go to Clayton with multiple wins off the back marks with some of the best dog fights over the last 300m or so to get over the line first. Or Stevens for his run at Albury off 2.50m with a winning time of 12.46. Strong seasons off the front marks are not as impressive as a strong performance off the back mark as to compare Stevens with some of the others. Having said that, Angelakos won two very good gifts this year and must come into consideration before 'The Lord of the Gifts'. With a couple of weeks to go, I would have a tie with Clayton and Angelakos, Stevens just behind and maybe Rosen after that. Taft could be mentioned for two good wins, but I think the others probably trump her.

Outstanding performance by a male so far, probably Stevens or Clayton with wins off the back marks.
Outstanding performance by a female so far, Henderson at Stonnington.
Veteran performance so far, I look at the double at Ballarat and Wearmouth taking all before him.
Meeting of the year so far could be any of Northcote (the first one with larger entries, well run and great finals), Keilor (always a great gift again with hard racing and great results), Geelong (great numbers especially in the junior races, great atmosphere). That is not to say any of the others don't deserve it either, I think they have virtually all been good this year with a few remaining.
Emerging talent so far, this is a hard one. Henderson made a Stawell final but then broke her duck with the second biggest women's race around. She probably has to be the leading candidate for someone who has won a big race. There are a couple of athletes that broke novice status with a novice race win that could be interesting, maybe some further research for me here.

K_Moore, is the above ok instead of an email?

10 Re: VRTA Points Awards Update on Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:17 pm

Mex

While waiting for the racing to start back up I have been thinking about some of these awards, especially the Mastere category. I still think Wearmouth was impressive and needs to be in the conversation. Where does Foley and Hughes fit? I think that Foley could take it but did scratch from a few races. Hughes won a much smaller gift but a gift none the less. Maybe Foley from Hughes and Wearmouth. If Lehmann wins either Bendigo later tonight or Ararat tomorrow, I would place him above Foley as he has made finals as well. Probably the hardest category to pick for me.

11 Re: VRTA Points Awards Update on Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:04 am

timrosen35

Stating the obvious, but I nominate Luke Stevens for performance of the year in the opal yesterday. Simply astonishing run.

I also think Leigh should be considered for veteran performance of the year for his 2nd place in the opal. Such a gutsy run

12 Re: VRTA Points Awards Update on Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:54 pm

K_Moore

Hi All,

Thanks for your thoughts re. potential nominees for the Voted Awards. I will add them to the list and present them to the rest of the Committee for discussion. In response to the Hitman, Frontmarker's are not ineligible from being a potential nominee and/ or winner for Athlete of the Year. It comes down to a whole range of aspects including the number of wins/ placings, times run and the quality of the races won. Handicap is also factored in however there is also varied opinion among the VRTA Committee members of which of the above aspects has more weight.

Also, we are always looking for more VRTA Committee members, so if you have a balanced opinion and would like to give back to the sport please contact myself or any of the other Committee Members to discuss what is involved and how you could contribute.

Cheers,

Katie

13 Re: VRTA Points Awards Update on Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:45 am

ShaneMcK

Update on the U20 standings. There is a final U20 standing that will be revealed on the night of the awards. To find out, you need to be there.
Again, alphabetical order.

Top 12
MATTBURLEIGH
BenjaminFarrell
JulianHarris
SarahHuntington
DarcyIreland
HarrisonKerr
RyanMcnamara
StephanieMundy
DanielRichardson
RiverRobson
LeeTzilantonis
MitchellWhite
U17 standings (1 more race to acquire points, and they are DOUBLE POINTS!)
Top 11
BaileyCoates
BayleyDrummond
EdwardTassell
JacksonHannah
LACHLANMILLIGAN
LeeTzilantonis
LornaClark
LucyMcCreedy
LukeMitchell
NathanJones
TomGriffin