PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Airth(Scotland)
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 am by JH

» Vale.. John Stoney John passed away last wednesday and his funeral will be held today in Albury
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm by Jack Stoney

» Burntisland(Scotland)
Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:18 am by JH

» Somerset Gift (QAL) - Saturday 15th July 2017 & RESULTS
Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:32 am by Admin

» St Ronans (Borders Scotland) Results.
Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:10 am by JH

» Loch Lomond (Scotland)
Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:05 am by JH

» Regular VAL runner picked in U/18 Vic Metro AFL team to play WA
Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:48 pm by Willo the Whisp

» High Performance Podcast - Matt Rizzo.
Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:25 am by Downesy

» ALVA (Scotland)
Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:28 pm by JH

July 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Maribyrnong Gift Final

Maribyrnong Gift Final

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Maribyrnong Gift Final on Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:19 pm

Mex

I would prefer to keep discussion regarding the event away from the polls if possible. The full results are not yet available but you can get the drift from the tweets on the website and having gone over these times I am very interested to see the stewards report.

Maribyrnong has been used to make an example of athletes before for 'non trying' where hefty fines, UP's and maybe handicap reviews were issued. I believe it was two or three years ago where Carl Morehouse, Cam Dunbar and Nick MacGibbon were hauled over the coals (perhaps if one or more of them are reading this they could confirm for us and if it was not them I apologise whole heartedly for bringing their names up). {Quote from the Maribyrnong Wrap 2014 - 120 metres Open Gift

The main event at Maribyrnong turned up an amazing result when the two slowest qualifiers for the final quinelled the event with William Little (12m) defeating Tim Rosen (14.5m). Both went into the final as outside place chances but proved the semi final form wrong by holding their form better than the more fancied runners. Little won the first semi final but with a run of 13.25 would have struggled to gain a placing in the remaining semi finals. These went to Carl Morehouse (5.25m) in 13.06 and Nick MacGibbon in 13.10. Also qualifying were Cam Dunbar (7.75m) and Simon Jackson (9.25m)       with runs of 13.08 and 13.12. Third place in the final went to MacGibbon. With a steady rise up the straight track, quick times were never expected and the winning time of 13.18 was the slowest of the season.}

This raises a number of interesting questions, how much penalty should be applied for non trying? How does gaining a credit for Stawell become affected by having disciplinary action levelled towards you? Does this credit get stripped for 'allegedly' bringing the sport into disrepute? Do we just accept this as part of our sport? Is non trying the result of rules not being followed (how does one pull up in a race and not get the mandatory 28 days stand down but make a Gift final the following week?)? The list could and probably does go on.

Where does the VRTA stand on this kind of thing?

Looking at the scratchings it is clear that some chose not to run at a smaller gift, I have no problem with that. I would question why certain athletes turned up when they saw who was there and probably more importantly who was not there but each to their own I guess and that is not a crack at them or the trainers, more an observation.

Don't fall off your chair, but I think Rosen did a great job by winning. He saw an opportunity and took it. Probably lucky for a couple of the others that he did too.

We need to clean this 'obvious' and 'alleged' behaviour up, is a UP a big enough penalty?

I am guessing that we should probably steer away from making comments about specific individuals from the final (other than to congratulate Tim 'The Man' Rosen of course), I do not know if it is defamation or not until names are listed on the Stewards report.

Does anyone have any footage that they would share so we can all see or if that is inappropriate Admin please delete this comment.

2 Re: Maribyrnong Gift Final on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:20 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
If an athlete loses time from semi to final, as was the case in point, he has no-one to blame for his predicament. Relatively speaking of course. There could be all sorts of legitimate reasons for the difference in times. But on the available evidence, if the athlete cannot adequately explain the slower (final) time he is at the mercy of the stewards/handicapper.

First offence & it's obvious an NAP; 2nd offence & maybe not so obvious suspensions should suffice. A fine I'm not so keen on.

In the case of blatant repeat offenders - My old coach Fergie Speakman had a saying "The handicapper can do everything but put you in the family way."
Another one was "You can fix a dead runner with the stroke of a pen."

Ending up on a reduced mark when you've nothing to show for it - Ouch!

Last edited by youngy on Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

3 Re: Maribyrnong Gift Final on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:10 am

Scoop

https://www.facebook.com/TheRowse2310/videos/1703850209829330/

4 Re: Maribyrnong Gift Final on Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:38 am

GLPR

pull their handicaps and it wont happen again
otherwise runners will keep thinking they can get away with it
that video says it all

5 Re: Maribyrnong Gift Final on Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:47 am

Boomba

Hi Mex, as you mentioned in 2014 four of the finalists were interviewed by the steward panel at Bendigo a week past the event; after an enquiry was made into the gift final results.
Not sure of the penalties for the other runners but I was fined $200 and given a UP for losing 2m and perceived lack of effort between the semi and final runs.

6 Re: Maribyrnong Gift Final on Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:19 pm

Kangaroota

Stewards report Maribyrnong
After the final of the Open Gift, second placed athlete Edward Ware was queried regarding his lost of time from the semi final to the final. Ware's explanation wasn't accepted by the stewards/Handicapers and he was issued with a UP and $250 fine.

7 Re: Maribyrnong Gift Final on Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:16 pm

Cheetah_Mang

A $250 fine for Ed Ware is weak!
What was the prize money handed out to running 2nd place in the gift?
I'm guessing it more than $250?

Also getting issued with a UP doesn't mean anything, if you already have +1m for Stawell.

8 Re: Maribyrnong Gift Final on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:56 pm

Mex

I suppose this is consistent with previous years, so probably in context fair enough.
In another context though it would seem light as the 1m lift for Stawell still stands. Maybe there will be a sub clause added to allow the lift to be removed should you be penalised during the season.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum