PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

June 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » History or not?

History or not?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 History or not? on Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:28 pm

Mex

Wangaratta was once a big gift and there are still some who treat it with the same level of respect. Some see it as a lower tier gift due to the total prize money on offer. If you take Stawell out of the equation, what are the best Gifts to win in VIC and other states?
Do we still view the time honoured Gifts as the best ones to win regardless of money?
Looking at just the Gift for the moment, would you prefer to win Maryborough, Ballarat, Albury or Stonnington which all have the same kind of prize money. What about Keilor, St Albans, Rye or Bendigo? Where does Ararat, Wangaratta, Geelong, Northcote, Euroa, Maribyrnong, Trinity, Terang, Warrnambool and Daylesford fit?

I like history and tradition but would never stop someone going for more prize money. How do you build tradition though?

What about all distances? We all set up our training to go for a specific race, what is the best sash to get and not for the look but for the name on it?

2 Re: History or not? on Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:26 am

Phantom

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Maryborough and Bendigo have history that the others don't, which puts a sash at those meetings higher on the list. Ballarat and Keilor are in front of Stonnington and Albury for me, also based on history.

3 Re: History or not? on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:13 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
If you want an idea how big the Wangaratta Gift use to be see the thread below about the 1986 Wangaratta Gift - 142 entries & 18 heats. Heat winners ONLY advanced to the semis.

At the time, Wang was definitely in the top 5 for prestige. And that went for a lot of the events. A Wangaratta sash was something everyone wanted to win.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com/t415-25-years-ago-scotsman-wins-the-wangaratta-gift

4 Re: History or not? on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:05 am

Bumble Bee Man

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Keilor is always a meet that attracts a lot of top sprinters and is one that people target due to its history and big names that have won it in the past.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum