PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

June 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Extra incentives to win races

Extra incentives to win races

Should we keep incentives?

43% 43% [ 6 ]
57% 57% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 14

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Extra incentives to win races on Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:00 pm

Mex

The introduction of the incentives for sprinters to win smaller races this season has been an interesting one. A simple poll, should the incentives continue? I guess that the VAL and VRTA will conduct some for of review at the end of the season, but what do we think.

Let's look at the positives.
Numbers for most gifts have been good.
The standard has also been good with generally quicker times being run to make the finals let alone win.
Better athletes are working harder earlier to run quick times.
Sponsors would have to be happy with times and patronage.
The handicapper gets a look at the main chances for Stawell well in advance.
You can really set up a season for your bunny if they win one of the early races.

And the negatives.
If a guy has the mark already to win why reward him with more?
Are athletes who are not up to winning a smaller gift being disadvantaged? (Yes in my books)
Why are we regarding people for trying? Isn't that the idea of the sport?
Why are the women not being offered the same incentives? They run for the same money now.
The same guys are making finals with the spread being less.
Are we going to have guys not entering gift races anymore because they are not a chance against athletes who are primed for a Stawell Gift final?
If Stawell is the pinnacle, why are we not offering this for all distances? (wouldn't that be fairer?)

Please feel free to comment below both the positives and negatives and remember to vote. I think it should not continue but that is just my opinion. I would prefer stricter stewarding and less variations in the allocations of starting marks and lifts for OGA athletes.

2 Re: Extra incentives to win races on Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:35 pm

timrosen35

I would agree with your assessment almost word for word Mex. Think you summed it up nicely.

I will say, I do like that the VAL are thinking outside the box and looking for different ways to do things. The only way to grow a sport (or product) is to always be changing. Not staying the same.

3 Re: Extra incentives to win races on Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:05 pm

Downesy

Mex wrote:The introduction of the incentives for sprinters to win smaller races this season has been an interesting one. A simple poll, should the incentives continue? I guess that the VAL and VRTA will conduct some for of review at the end of the season, but what do we think.

Let's look at the positives.
Numbers for most gifts have been good.
The standard has also been good with generally quicker times being run to make the finals let alone win.
Better athletes are working harder earlier to run quick times.
Sponsors would have to be happy with times and patronage.
The handicapper gets a look at the main chances for Stawell well in advance.
You can really set up a season for your bunny if they win one of the early races.

And the negatives.
If a guy has the mark already to win why reward him with more?
Are athletes who are not up to winning a smaller gift being disadvantaged? (Yes in my books)
Why are we regarding people for trying? Isn't that the idea of the sport?
Why are the women not being offered the same incentives? They run for the same money now.
The same guys are making finals with the spread being less.
Are we going to have guys not entering gift races anymore because they are not a chance against athletes who are primed for a Stawell Gift final?
If Stawell is the pinnacle, why are we not offering this for all distances? (wouldn't that be fairer?)

Please feel free to comment below both the positives and negatives and remember to vote. I think it should not continue but that is just my opinion. I would prefer stricter stewarding and less variations in the allocations of starting marks and lifts for OGA athletes.

Instead of voting, I'll just link to a previous post of mine. Should give you my voting preference.

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com/t4454-ways-of-increasing-numbers-at-minor-meetings#14126

4 Re: Extra incentives to win races on Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:56 pm

DizzyRunner

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
All these years and I have totally misunderstood running pros. Here I was thinking that you get penalised for winning when in fact this new rule (applied to 550s last year and some gifts this year) suggests the exact reverse.

Consider this: the person who finishes 2nd or 3rd in a 550m during the season are likely to receive a triple penalty.
-penalty 1: they will be further away from the winner who receives an automatic lift
-penalty 2: they are highly unlikely to be considered for a lift because they are ‘already competitive’.
-penalty 3: the rest of the field behind the person are more likely to be considered for a lift, especially those who did not make the final.

5 Re: Extra incentives to win races on Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:01 pm

Phantom

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
I like the idea of providing an incentive for runners to win 'small' races however I think the incentives in place for this season are way to generous. No-one should need an incentive to want to win a $5k race and the reward for doing so certainly shouldn't be .75m-1m.

6 Re: Extra incentives to win races on Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:02 pm

vicoutsider

At the risk of going against the grain, I'm not totally opposed to it and leaning towards 'I like it'. It typically ensures a great showing in the gifts with a couple big names making finals and running where they would not have otherwise.

Its impact of course remains to be seen. Until then, let's just all enjoy what's been another great season so far. Cool

7 Re: Extra incentives to win races on Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:20 pm

Mex

Are there any more votes for this?

8 Re: Extra incentives to win races on Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:18 pm

Downesy

Mex wrote:Are there any more votes for this?

Are you looking/wishing for a different result?

9 Re: Extra incentives to win races on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:27 pm

oldman

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
A few more votes than 14 I would have expected- given such significance of this change to this year's VAL rule book

10 Re: Extra incentives to win races on Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:13 pm

Mex

Downesy wrote:

No Aaron, I just saw that it had not moved for a bit. I think that with the number of athletes who view this forum we should have a larger sample and probably more comments as well.
I also think that the results from Maribyrnong highlight a big issue with how this rule has been implemented this year. Maybe it could work if it was just for the gifts that are less than $3000, but getting rewarded for winning a $5000 race is hard to swallow. Getting a full metre is also not right. I am for scrapping the idea, but that will probably not happen. I think it will be modified though.

11 Re: Extra incentives to win races on Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:44 am

Downesy

Mex wrote:
Downesy wrote:

No Aaron, I just saw that it had not moved for a bit. I think that with the number of athletes who view this forum we should have a larger sample and probably more comments as well.
I also think that the results from Maribyrnong highlight a big issue with how this rule has been implemented this year. Maybe it could work if it was just for the gifts that are less than $3000, but getting rewarded for winning a $5000 race is hard to swallow. Getting a full metre is also not right. I am for scrapping the idea, but that will probably not happen. I think it will be modified though.

Call me old fashioned, however I always thought, and will continue to think, that the reward for winning a race is the prize money associated with winning. (with the appropriate penalty applied for the win). The officials steward the races, and apply the appropriate disciple to athletes if required. It's not rocket science.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum