PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

June 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Ways of increasing numbers at Minor Meetings

Ways of increasing numbers at Minor Meetings

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Ways of increasing numbers at Minor Meetings on Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:05 pm

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
The Alarm bells began to ring for me when the handicaps were released for Marion and there were just over 20 nominated for the Gift.
I was speaking with someone regarding this and they came up with a pretty good idea.
In Vic they have come up with a system for rewarding athletes competing at meetings.
This person I was talking to suggested that in Gifts less than $501 Winners prize the Winner should be Gifted a Wild Card Entry to the Semi Finals of the Bay Sheffield.So for example if you won the Flagstaff Gift you would win $2?? plus entry to Semi Final at the Bay which will earn you an extra $25 as a losing semi finalist at worst.
It would offer a bit of extra intrigue to the Semi Finals and considering a couple of runners who finished 4th in their heats this year progressed to the Semis they certainly wouldnt be out of place.
It would make athletes maybe get Athletes to show their form and those that do and finish 2nd bad luck.Maybe a visit from interstate by an athlete may be on the cards as well to pick up an easy Gift.
Imagine going to the Bay knowing you only have to run a Semi and Final, I know a couple of athletes that would love that.
Also for those Meetings that have 200m Gifts maybe Create an Event at the Bay with first two place getters out of each 200m race plus 4 lowest nominated handicapped runners  having a race at the Bay, imagine that starting in the backstraight.
Anything that can keep number up and growing at these lessor events has to be looked at, lets think out of the square and start rewarding those for showing up.

oldman

ProTrack A Grader
ProTrack A Grader
How about similar to VAL where winners of smaller meetings get some sort of automatic lift for loxton? (SA 2nd biggest gift now) that would help to prop up that great gift which of course with years of drought no doubt sponsorship dollars are becoming tighter than ever before - the automatic lift in VIC for the stawell gift appears to be working very well with the smaller gifts very well supported - just an option?

The Morphy Mongrel

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Bay Sheffield is about backing up for a heat/semi/final.
can forget about athletes not running a heat.

Downesy

oldman wrote:How about similar to VAL where winners of smaller meetings get some sort of automatic lift for loxton? (SA 2nd biggest gift now) that would help to prop up that great gift which of course with years of drought no doubt sponsorship dollars are becoming tighter than ever before - the automatic lift in VIC for the stawell gift appears to be working very well with the smaller gifts very well supported - just an option?

See, this is where a problem has started to creep in over the past 5-10 years or so, that is starting to become cancerous in the pro running circle(s). No offense at all oldman, but this element of "win a small gift/race, and yee shall be rewarded for it in future, bigger races" is absolute rubbish (in my honest opinion). I've only been involved in pro running since the 99/00 season, therefore quite a short period of time compared to many others, however, when I started (in the sprints), I'd never heard of this "rewarding athletes for winning small races". I'd never heard it, I never expected it and I never received it. And believe me, I was/am trying to win whatever I can then and now, and if I do win one, I fully expect to be re-handicapped to the letter of the handicap regulations.

We run in the pros to win, and if we win, we have our marks adjusted accordingly. That's the sport. it's not rocket science. Now, if athletes (from the beginning of time, until now), are non-trying in the "smaller" races, then it's up to the stewards to police it accordingly. (I'm not suggesting that they don't, I'm just saying that that's the theory of the sport).

If the smaller meets (In Vic, SA, wherever) are struggling, then it's up to the various leagues to come up with plans to fix this issue. I'm sure that all the Protrack readers/contributors would have an infinite number of  great suggestions/solutions to this issue. However, I personally don't, and never will agree that "looking after" runners winning/taking smaller races is the answer.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum