PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » VAL conducting its smallest number of meets ever?

VAL conducting its smallest number of meets ever?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

youngy

Admin
Admin
Take out the Melton Series which features only one event, the Victorian Athletic League season consists of only 21 carnivals this season. I can't recall in my time the VAL having so few meets in one season.

From last season, the VAL has lost Sandringham, Warragul and Avondale Heights. That's about $20,000 in prize money less than athletes competed for in 2014/2015.

There are some extenuating circumstances such as Easter on 26-28 March and a couple of meets that weren't on this season, are likely to return in 2016/17.

The VAL season does seem to be starting a little later than usual. I remember in the 1980's the traditional first meet of the season was the Caulfield Grammar Gift on Victoria Derby weekend.

Lifestyle may be having an impact on the sport. People appear to be not as willing to give up their entire weekend to athletic carnivals every week for 5 months.

So this is not a criticism but more an observation that maybe the VAL calendar is best suited to a 21 to say 23 meet season rather than the 26 meets plus we use to see back in the halcyon days of the 1980's and 1990's.

What it does do, is free up Vic athletes to attend interstate carnivals which is a great boost to those states that have marquee meets that don't clash with major VAL carnivals.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum