PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Maiden Rosebery Gift for Brandon Clark at the 2017 Rosebery Carnival
Today at 10:32 am by Admin

» Ararat Results
Yesterday at 9:57 am by SANCHEZ

» Ararat Gift
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:56 pm by timrosen35

» Multiple NAPS lead to anything?
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 am by DDog

» Pro running right on track
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am by youngy

» Brighton Open Gift
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 am by safrican

» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 am by Admin

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 am by Admin

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » 10 Years ago when SA Sprinting was pretty good

10 Years ago when SA Sprinting was pretty good

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

youngy

Admin
Admin
On Saturday I discovered the film I took of the Men's 100m at SANTOS stadium in the first week of ASA interclub in 2005.

Coincidentally it was Saturday 17th October 2005. Ten years later, 17th October was again a Saturday.

The first five athletes passed the post all broke 10.90secs. AS far as I know this has never happened since at an interclub. In fact I can't recall it happening in any 100m where the entire field was all SA.

Ten years ago the sprinting was pretty good for SA. By 2008 we had five athletes sub 47.10 on the national rankings.

With the 2015 state title this year won in a pathetic 11s plus time, it's disappointing to see how ordinary the current state of SA sprinting is compared to what it was 10 years ago.

Hopefully it returns to a decent level again....In the meantime at least we've got the old footage to look back on......

racingmania

Much has changed in 10 years. Current standard is not as good no doubt. Depth is a worry.
Coaching? Athletes not around? Caldow and Tjimarri left the state.

Grinaldi1

Other than maybe Clay Watkins do we have anyone capable of breaking 11.00 this year?

racingmania

Capable? Not a lot.
Long-Scafidi? Houlihan?
Some others should be capable but won't unless they change coach.

birdman

i think I might have a couple come state champs that should break 11....a couple chasing their old squad mates in caldow and TJ

Grinaldi1

Who are you referring to racing mania?

Grinaldi1

I've Heard D. Woodhams is training,
I wouldn't put it past him running sub 11

We have a fair few guys who have gone sub 11 recently and should be capable of going sub 11 again soon. They include Tim Mguire, Wallace Long Scafidi, Clay Watkins, Pierre Mukeba, Gabriel Cole and Michael Brushnahan. We then have countless juniors and other guys who are still improving who are very close like Liam Moss (11.01), Frankie Schinella (11.08), Brian Wilson (11.10), Sebastian Baird, Jack Doney, Kofi Gyamfi, Thomas Semmler, Alex Condello and Lane Whittaker.

While we obviously do not have the same talent as we had 10 years ago, I do believe we are only a couple years off, if a lot of those guys stick with the sport. Athletics also does work in waves. While we had a good bunch of sprinters 10 years ago, we currently have the most talented crop of middle distance runners the state has ever had.

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Think Birdman may like to put Lewis Abdul in there as well. Razz Razz

racingmania

12345678 good post about the junior sprints. But this?
we currently have the most talented crop of middle distance runners the state has ever had.

Seriously?
Yes that era when we had Chris Fisher, Kerry O'Brien, Dave Fitzsimmons winning national titles and making Olympic teams plus guys like Gary Zeuner winning Australian steeple titles was not as good as the current crop of ???????
Sorry what are their names again?

Grinaldi1

From what I've seen, Brusnahan is a long way off,
Kofi needs to focus on training more so, than prancing around trying to be like Maurice Green.
I can't see Sebastian beard going under 11.

But Pierre, Wallace, Clay, Gab Cole, Woodhams Schinella and Moss could do it.
I stand to be corrected.

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
[quote="Grinaldi1"]From what I've seen, Brusnahan is a long way off,
Kofi needs to focus on training more so, than prancing around trying to be like Maurice Green.

Big call Grinaldi1...........11.14  (+ 1.3)  7/02/2015
Doesnt have to improve a real lot to go under 11.00

Grinaldi1

Dont get me wrong, I hope he can prove me wrong.

Whispers wrote:
Grinaldi1 wrote:From what I've seen, Brusnahan is a long way off,

Big call Grinaldi1...........11.14  (+ 1.3)  7/02/2015
Doesnt have to improve a real lot to go under 11.00

racingmania

Sebastian Baird didn't look good at Flinders.
Has he got the natural talent to break 11sec? YES.
Will he this season? NOT LIKELY.

Spiderman

I don't know about D.Woodhams. He hasn't competed at Santos for a while, only seems to run pros in recent years and i haven't seen him make a final for a while. It would be good to see him next to Watkins breaking 11 but I wouldn't expect too much.

Houlihan is my pick to be the one that comes out at state champs and smashes the 11 second barrier. His run at Stawell would easily put him under 11secs for 100m. that's your state champ! you heard it here first.

Sub22

2005 was definitely a good time for SA sprinters. Success breeds success and at the time there was:
Mark Ormrod- Silver medalist in 4x400m Athens Olympics. Easily Sub 11
Keith Sheehy- Mid 10s sprinter that was definitely Sub 11 at the time.

Coming through the junior ranks there were international/future international competitors in:
Clay Watkins
Todd Bateman
Alex Bubner

When you've got high calibre athletes like that it helps with depth as people have to step up their times and it creates a competitive environment. Over the years the depth in SA has slowly started to evaporate. Recently there has been some talented juniors coming through the ranks- Jordan Caldow, Derek Mai, Michael Brusnahan, Wallace Long Scafidi and TJ Milera.

Fast forward to the present. Derek's no longer in the sport. Caldow and TJ have moved interstate to train with people faster than them and it's no coincidence that they've both improved their times. Wallace has improved recently after moving to a different squad and training with Clay Watkins. Smart training and good environments!

birdman

Sub 22 would had to prove you wrong but caldow and sanderson-milera have not bettered there times....caldow ran 10:83 as a 17yr old going into his first bay win then ran 10:6s at 18/19 on a slow santos track...ran 10:53 as a 21yr old on a quick queensland track wind ass...tj still hasnt gone lower than the 10:89 he ran back in early 2014.....so moving interstate doesn't always help.

I think there are some very talented athletes out there but some very untalented coaches holding some athletes back, just my opinion

open for a discussion

Sub22

birdman wrote:Sub 22 would had to prove you wrong but caldow and sanderson-milera have not bettered there times....caldow ran 10:83 as a 17yr old going into his first bay win then ran 10:6s at 18/19 on a slow santos track...ran 10:53 as a 21yr old on a quick queensland track wind ass...tj still hasnt gone lower than the 10:89 he ran back in early 2014.....so moving interstate doesn't always help.

I think there are some very talented athletes out there but some very untalented coaches holding some athletes back, just my opinion

open for a discussion

True. There are definitely many capable coaches in this state who do the most with the stocks that they get given and achieve results and get the most out of their athletes. On the other hand there are also coaches in this state who get promising junior athletes given to them on a platter and completely butcher their progress. At the end of the day it’s up to the individual athletes to move on after being in perpetual form slumps. Ideally they'd move on to other coaches with proven track records but a lot of them just quit the sport unfortunately.

19 Who Are The Junior Coaches Then? on Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:52 pm

wannabrunner92

Lost of references to wasted junior talent, or lack of development for them, who are the people that can get the best out of them in this state?

The Morphy Mongrel

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
wannabrunner92 wrote:Lost of references to wasted junior talent, or lack of development for them, who are the people that can get the best out of them in this state?

What I've seen in last 10 years, the 5 biggest/most impressive improvers from good runners to class have been Tippins, James, Wrenchdoody and Watkins before he left the guy who got him to 45.9. For an old guy, Tippins improvement was unbelievable.
And from another coach, Longscafidi when WLS won Mt Gambier under Tohl.
And I like what Burdett did with TJ last year and Caldow before he left.
Those three stand out for me.

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Welcome back Murph, oops I mean Morph

For me ,its a no brainer.
Having one of your athletes wearing National Colours for the last 10 plus years would have to be up there.
Having an Amputee running sub 11
Throw in a couple of Women Bay Sheff winners who came from other Coaches.
Dare I say it Wilson to be the next big thing in SA athletics because hes not getting flogged to be a champion in his teens.

racingmania

Throw in a couple of women's Bay Sheffields? Wow. That's impressive. Evil or Very Mad Methinks theres' others with more.
And THE Bay Sheffield record is?

Do agree SB is better than most. Have heard he's not in SA much these days so probably not in position to take on new athletes for the long term.

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
racingmania wrote:Throw in a couple of women's Bay Sheffields? Wow. That's impressive. Evil or Very Mad Methinks theres' others with more.
And THE Bay Sheffield record is?

Do agree SB is better than most. Have heard he's not in SA much these days so probably not in position to take on new athletes for the long term.

The question was raised as to who is the best Coach for developement and getting the best out of an athlete, I think a couple of Women Bay Sheffs , I know , no real big deal, but they are athletes who have come from other Coaches and to still having one of those athletes running time over 200m is pretty good.
The record of having an athlete in the National Team for 10 plus years running is pretty good though.
Not sure of his whereabouts but he was out at at least one of the Pro meetings that I know of.
Fear of being thrown off this forum I could name a few DONT GO THERE COACHES,
And may I point out ,the Administator of this site would be my second pick of where to go to ,to be Coached just in case everyone may have been thinking I had him for a DONT GO THERE COACH

wannabrunner92

Is there a point in a promising juniors development, assuming the reference here is about a Sebastian Baird or a Brian Wilson, when a good coach is more about the mental prep as opposed to technique/condition...are they mutually exclusive, or are they all just as important? In terms of percentage, how much is about the athlete, and how much is about the coach?

The Morphy Mongrel

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Mental prep always a part of it, from day one. Conditioning/technique should be improving every year up to mid 20s at least.
Too many in SA have their PRs as a teenager or 20/21 then never get faster. poor choice of coach can kill a career. And in SA there's a lot of poor choices to choose from.

Phantom

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Too many teenagers doing the training loads of mature age athletes, which leaves no room for progression and over stresses their bodies. By the time they reach their early twenties their minds and bodies are knackered. So many coaches are focussed on training champions at the age of 13-16 that they destroy any chance of them being great athletes at 24-25.

The Morphy Mongrel

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
Hear Hear Phantom.
Distance running especially in SA has suffered from this over the years. Some of the miles, kids were doing to win national junior titles and cross country titles was crazy stuff. Not many maintained elite standards beyond teens.

youngy

Admin
Admin
http://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-advertiser/textview

Frayne Regrets Not Stretching His Legs

By Warren Portland
The Advertiser - Page 97
Saturday 28th November2015

FORMER champion sprinter Bruce Frayne has just one regret from his illustrious career - not testing himself as a middle-distance runner.

Frayne contested the 200m at the inaugural world championships in 1983 and the 1982 Brisbane Commonwealth Games and the 400 at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games.

His state records for the 200 (20.59secs) and 400m (45.21) still stand and he was national 200m champion three times and 400m victor in 1984.

Yet when Frayne reflects on his time in track and field, he wishes he had had a crack at the 800m.

“My only regret is not moving up in distance,’’ said Frayne, who has been a dentist since ending his career and still keeps himself fit. “I was built like a middle-distance runner and had terrific leg speed.

“I won cross-country races at school but by the time I thought about moving up in distance I was 28 or 29 and sick of being poor, so pulled the pin on athletics.’’

Frayne was taken under the wing of former leading coach Scotchy Gordon when he en- tered St Peters College senior school. Under Gordon’s guidance, Frayne qualified for the 1980 Moscow Olympics, only to be robbed of a trip because of the political boycott.

“After the Commonwealth Games in Brisbane I broke Scotchy’s heart when I moved to Melbourne,’’ the 57-year— old said. “I needed to move there for the added competition and I trained under Neville Sillitoe for five years.’’

Frayne still has a low-key association with the sport as a mentor while the performances of nephew Henry Frayne, who contested the 2012 Lon- don Olympics, has kept him interested in track and field.

Geoff Frayne, brother of Bruce and Henry’s father, was also an elite athlete and won a state 800m crown.

“Athletes in South Australia does not seem the same as when we competed,’’ Bruce said. “There was much more depth in our day.

“We could put a 100m group together and eight would go under 11 seconds. And I don’t know why they moved from Kensington to Mile End.

“There was a much better atmosphere at Kensington.”

youngy

Admin
Admin
Back to a more positive & interesting thread......Since that race in 2005, (which is the premise for this thread) there have been 43 male SA sprinters appear in the 100m national rankings. These are athletes who have run 10.94s or better. So in 11 years from 2005 to 2015 we're averaging just under 4 athletes per year.

Of the 43 'mentions' - there's only 17 athletes.
Alex Bubner
Clay Watkins
Dale Woodhams
Derek Mai
Duncan Tippins
Gab Cole
Jake Jervis-Bardy
Jordan Caldow
Keith Sheehy
Mark Ormrod
Michael Brusnahan
Robbie James
Steve Landers
Tim McGuire
Tjimarri Sanderson-Milera
Todd Bateman
Wallace Long-Scafidi

It's interesting that each year there have not been too many new names adding to the list. Tjimarri Sanderson-Milera in 2014 was the last SA to appear on the 100m rankings for the first time.

In the last 5 years only 3 athletes have 'debuted' on the list - Wallace Long Scafidi, Gabe Cole & Tjimarri. So while, yes - there's emerging talent in SA, history shows rarely do we get much more than 4 into the 100m national rankings and of those we might get one or two new names.

This is the list of all male SA sprinters to appear on the Australian National Open 100m rankings since 2005. (Cut off appears to be 10.94secs).

TimeAthleteCoach
10.58Mark OrmrodS Butler
10.69Todd BatemanS Butler
10.86Alex BubnerN Hagicostas
10.87Jake Jervis-BardyS Butler
10.87Duncan TippinsP Young
10.88Keith SheehyS Miller
10.62Keith SheehyS Miller
10.62Todd BatemanS Butler
10.94Alex BubnerN Hagicostas
10.50Keith SheehyS Miller
10.55Keith SheehyT Fairweather
10.59Todd BatemanN Hagicostas
10.74Clay WatkinsP Young
10.81Duncan TippinsP Young
10.93Steve LandersSelf Trained
10.94Dale WoodhamsP Young
10.44Keith SheehyT Fairweather
10.73Clay WatkinsP Young
10.46Mark OrmrodB Tammo
10.50Todd BatemanB Tammo
10.80Clay WatkinsP Young
10.83Jordan CaldowP Burdett
10.89Robbie JamesP Young
10.93Tim McGuireDon Brown
10.94Michael BrusnahanR Wilson
10.70Todd BatemanB Tammo
10.87Robbie JamesP Young
10.89Jordan CaldowP Burdett
10.84Robbie JamesP Young
10.89Wallace Long-ScafidiA Tohl
10.91Derek MaiF McEwen
10.77Jordan CaldowP Young
10.82Clay WatkinsB Tammo
10.84Derek MaiF McEwen
10.89Todd BatemanB Tammo
10.92Gabe ColeS Butler
10.94Alex BubnerP Bubner
10.77Clay WatkinsP Young
10.87Alex BubnerF McEwen
10.92Tjimarri Sanderson-MileraP Burdett
10.69Clay WatkinsD Hicks
10.84Tim McGuireD Brown
10.93Wallace Long-ScafidiD Hicks

racingmania

Did the current state champ get thrashed by 3 meters in a semi at the Bay by a regular prorunner giving the state champ 1.5 metres start?

going on the bay, at least 5 prorunners would beat Schinella off level over 100?
Watkins
Houlihan
Cibich
Sclanders
Richards

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum