PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Maiden Rosebery Gift for Brandon Clark at the 2017 Rosebery Carnival
Today at 10:32 am by Admin

» Ararat Results
Yesterday at 9:57 am by SANCHEZ

» Ararat Gift
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:56 pm by timrosen35

» Multiple NAPS lead to anything?
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 am by DDog

» Pro running right on track
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am by youngy

» Brighton Open Gift
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:00 am by safrican

» Queanbeyan Gift overcomes small field and lower prizes, produces exciting final
Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 am by Admin

» Brighton (SAAL) HANDICAPS - 17th Dec 2017
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm by Admin

» Brian Wilson rewarded for going the extra distance (PreBay Gift review)
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 am by Admin

December 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Stand Up Comedy debut

Stand Up Comedy debut

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Stand Up Comedy debut on Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:01 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Not much happening on Protrack for a while so thought I'd post something about what I've been doing in the off season.

I've had this on my list of things to do (aka bucket list) for quite a while.

To perform 5 minutes of stand up comedy at an Open Mike night.

Last night I finally got it done.

It went OK. Didn't entirely bomb but didn't have them laughing in the aisles either.

It's actually quite weird in terms of nerves. I was confident I could just do it and not care less if I bombed or not. But once up there, you do get quite intimidated by the silence when you think you delivered a reasonably funny line. (Funny to me that is...) So I was a lot more nervous than I thought I'd be.

My initial comment was made up as I walked up to the stage, after realising how young the crowd was. (About up & coming comedians and being there for the Bingo).

Anyway here it is - first ever attempt at Stand Up comedy.

2 Re: Stand Up Comedy debut on Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:09 pm

Mex

Good one Youngy
cheers

3 Re: Stand Up Comedy debut on Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:26 am

Whispers

ProTrack Star
ProTrack Star
I think if you can come up with 5mins of good stuff about athletics in the SAAL a gig at the end of year presentations beckons.
Certainly would make the formal night so much more worth paying for.

4 Re: Stand Up Comedy debut on Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:52 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
Interesting Whispers...I don't plan to get into it in any major way....just a bit of a hobby. I have written a lot of running based material. Mainly about my own running experiences. Eg: some of my Tassie trips back in the 1980's in my rope-a-dope days.

The inspiration for using the final story was that I wanted to include something that had a few of my Brunswick Under 19 footy mates including Mark Carmody and Steve Knight who, like me, competed in pro running for many years. Knightsy, himself, dabbled in stand up comedy about 25 years ago. He won the 1600m/3200m double at Stawell in 1988. He also won the vets mile at the Bay Sheff. The premise of the footy story is true although I did embellish the coach's comments somewhat. I sent the link to a few of the Brunswick lads for their amusement. I doubt I would use that story again in the same scenario - clearly didn't work  (for that particular audience) and was the weakest of the set.

I think the only way SAAL based material would work would be if it was self depreciating or it was about some of the people I've encountered who despise the SAAL and won't have a bar of it. Those narrow-minded dickheads deserve to be the brunt of a few gags.......although as Robbie James keeps telling me, there's one of my former athletes, who is the source of many amusing 'moment's that could probably take up a whole five minutes.  rabbit

B

5 Re: Stand Up Comedy debut on Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:21 am

Trumpet

lol!

6 Re: Stand Up Comedy debut on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:53 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Some people are aware I did a 3min gig in Japan at the Tokyo Comedy Store on December 15th. It went a bit better than the debut gig although I was a little uncomfortable in a crowd of mainly Americans. They didn't get a couple of jokes. But it might have been the delivery.  Rolling Eyes

I've signed up for the SA Raw Comedy comp and I'm in heat 5 on February 3rd at the Rhino Room.

I've re-written the entire set. Kept a couple of the running gags but they've also been re-written. It's a lot different to the debut set.

I'm thinking about debuting the infamous Murray Perch/Stawell story......not sure how it will go in a crowd of non-running people, but I might give it a crack if for no other reason than to have it on tape. (I told it to a non-running colleague & he thought it would go OK.)

So if you want to have a laugh at my expense - Wednesday 3rd Feb at 8.00pm at the Rhino Room, Frome St Adelaide.

7 Re: Stand Up Comedy debut on Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:49 pm

Biggsy

Good on you Paul. Where did you perform?  Josh is planning to give it a go I think at the rhino club?

8 Re: Stand Up Comedy debut on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:03 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
At the Rhino Room in Frome Street. Basically the home of Stand Up Comedy in Adelaide. I think all five heats of the Raw Comedy are filled up. Heat 1 was held last night.

The very popular Open Mic nights on Thursdays should be back soon.

9 Re: Stand Up Comedy debut on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:55 am

youngy

Admin
Admin
It's on tonight - Heat 5 of RAW Comedy. 8.00pm start at the Rhino Room.

There should be about 12 contestants with the winner going to the state championship to be held during the Adelaide Fringe.

I've got 5mins.

My Set List is:
Walmart
Whispers
Fat person in a lift
Fergie Speakman
Ranking

I won't win because:
A. Some of these comedians have been doing it for 12 months and have had 40 plus gigs, and they are very good.
B. I'm a work in progress and still learning how to craft a gag, deliver it with the right timing, etc.
C. I'm getting sweaty palms just writing this fricken post....imagine how the nerves will be tonight!

By the way - my last trip to the Rhino Room, a couple of weeks ago to try out some gags didn't go as well as I would have liked. To cut a long story short - I ended up in a fight with a couple of young blokes - one was a hipster looking dude. They bailed me up and gave me a bit of shit and one of them stood in my way denying me a chance to walk away. I didn't throw a punch, I just shoved him out of the way - and things escalated from there. One of them landed a few punches around the head/face but were too soft to cause any damage. The funny thing is the dickhead started crying out he wanted to make a citizens arrest and demanded someone called the police. He claimed that shoving him out of my way, was an assault. No-one took any notice of him and eventually I was able to walk away. Even his mates were embarrassed.

The good thing is, it gives me some new material for further down the track.  Twisted Evil  

10 Re: Stand Up Comedy debut on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:52 pm

flashest1

How did it go Youngy? Did you survive the night without being assaulted again?

11 Re: Stand Up Comedy debut on Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:27 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
Went well - 16 contestants so it was a long night. The host did a fair bit between each comedian as well as the opening.  

The place was packed out with standing room only up the very back. Biggest crowd I've probably seen there. Maybe 100 people? The Rhino Room is a smallish venue, normally holds about 70 to 80.

Overall from the feedback including one of the judges - I was probably top 6. Definitely the best I've done. 100% better than the first one. Unfortunately no-one filmed it. But I'll do the same set again at some stage and film it to put on YouTube.

There was probably 10 who were properly prepared with material that included funny stuff and got laughs.

There were about 4 I reckon who had very little material and just fudged out the time. Another couple who seemed to go on a monologue that was more a ramble than a comedy routine.

A young girl named Danielle won. I've seen her before at the Marion Hotel. She does a parody of the song I will Survive. It's pretty clever & very funny.
The winner was well deserved.

There was one totally blind lady - Elise, who had her Seeing Eye Dog with her on stage. Her set was hilarious, all gags were about her being blind albeit a few of the gags were not originals (one was the old gag about the blind person who goes into a bar and asks the person next to her if she wants to hear a blond joke.) which probably cost her a few points. She definitely got the most laughs though.

There was a Personal Trainer lady who did a humorous routine about a bogan client.

The best of the blokes in my view, did a routine about PlaySchool. It included a line about how he would never send his kid to a school that had a "bear in there"..... not after seeing The Revenant. It was pretty good.

I spoke to the guys who run the place and were there on Rhino Room fight night. They confirmed the idiot from the other week is now barred.

So yep, survived OK. I'll work on my "Fight at the Rhino Room" story and go back in a month or so.  

12 Re: Stand Up Comedy debut on Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm

youngy

Admin
Admin
OK - again it's pretty quiet around here so I thought I'd update the comedy stuff......

I performed at an open mic night on July 24th and it seemed to go pretty well. I hadn't done a gig since I went to Hawaii in April 2016. So it was my first one back for 15 months.

For the past year,  I've written quite a bit and I'm now putting it together to perform on stage.  

I'm planning to do another open mic at the Rhino Room (Adelaide) on August 14th. That will be the 8th gig I've done since the first one in September 2015.

My 9th go which was confirmed today will be at Cranker Comedy (Crown and Anchor Hotel, Grenfell Street) on Tuesday September 5th. That's where you actually get your name on the bill. Laughing

I'm pretty confident by the time the Cranker gig comes around I will be pretty well prepared. cheers

So if you are keen to have a look (for those in Adelaide) get along to Cranker Comedy on September 5th.

For the interstate 'fans' (hehehe) I do plan to have it filmed and posted to the forum.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum