PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

October 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

PROTRACK » GENERAL » Former "Dandy Dollar Dash" runner Dougie Howie fighting to keep his business alive

Former "Dandy Dollar Dash" runner Dougie Howie fighting to keep his business alive

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Admin

Admin
Admin
Doug Howie was a regular competitor in the 400m series conducted during the VFA Sunday games back in the 1970's and 80's and I reckon he made a few finals (held during half time of the VFA Grand Final) over those years. He won a few sashes, mainly 400's on the VAL circuit. Doug use to advertise his hairdressing business in the "Protrack" magazine.

He featured in the paper this week as he has to leave his business premises.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/optimistic-seddon-barber-vows-to-work-till-100-despite-shop-being-turned-into-apartments/story-fni0fit3-1227433644301

Optimistic Seddon barber vows to work till 100, despite shop being turned into apartments  

By MONIQUE HORE  
 Herald Sun  
July 08, 2015

Doug Howie’s legendary barber shop will be turned into apartments. Pictures: Andrew Taube

LEGENDARY barber Doug Howie’s shop has been given the chop, but the 70-year-old is refusing to set aside the scissors.  

The long-serving barber was given notice on Monday that the Seddon shop he rents had been sold and would be developed into apartments.

Mr Howie has been trimming tresses for 56 years, moving into his bright yellow Williamstown Rd shop about 15 years ago.

He’s vowed to continue barbering until he’s 100, with plans to open another shop in Melbourne’s west.

“I’ve got another 30 years. If I drop dead in the meantime it doesn’t matter,” he said.

“I’m certainly not going to stop.

“If I can’t get a new shop anywhere (locally), at the end of the day I would cut hair in a shed.”

The larger-than-life character got his start aged 14 when his smooth talking father landed him a job with a Swiss barber.

Despite a rocky start, the self-declared Mr Modesty said he was now “as good as anyone cutting hair”.

“I turned up and I was so dumb I put the barber’s coat on back to front,” Mr Howie said.

“I have always brought home the bacon, rowed the boat to keep afloat and barbering has been very good to me.”

http://protrack.easyforumlive.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum